C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Grill Mesh Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Side Grill Mesh Rant!

Okay, hopefully this isn't taken as a rip on any vendors. I won't mention where I bought it but over a year ago I bought the mesh for the front and side grills. I intalled the front as soon as it came. Easy as pie. One read of the instructions for the side vents had me drop those in a drawer for a future project. Well, this weekend I installed my MGW shifter and I thought I might as well open that drawer and get the side vent mesh installed.

WHAT A PIA! Those are the worst designed pieces of crap I've ever wasted money on! I know there's a lot of folks out there who have done it and I am more than capable at DIY car projects (I do ALL my own work) but this was more than rediculous. Anyway, after dicking with one side for at least an hour. It went in the trash and I chalked it up for experience. I have NO IDEA how any of you managed to attached the "inner" edge of these suckers to the fender. I must be missing something big time but it just flapped in the breeze. I tried bending the edge to "wrap" around a bit so I could get some of the tape and/or silicone on it to no avail.

Anyway, I'm just venting because I'm pissed off. I really wanted them on the car. I think those side vents just look so unfinished. Oh well. I still have the Drivers Side mesh screen that is untouched if anyone needs just one side.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've installed several sets and some are better than others. Mostly, they don't stay attached and looking good for long. I've heard that the GM screens are of good quality and won't come loose. I can't see spending the kind of money on them that GM wants so I just gave up on them.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
I've installed several sets and some are better than others. Mostly, they don't stay attached and looking good for long. I've heard that the GM screens are of good quality and won't come loose. I can't see spending the kind of money on them that GM wants so I just gave up on them.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Nikka
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that the GM screens are of good quality and won't come loose.

The dealer had the mesh grilles put on when I bought the car and I haven't had any problems.
Nikka
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Gm screens have a bracket that attaches to the interior fender making for a stable installation
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nikka
I've heard that the GM screens are of good quality and won't come loose.

The dealer had the mesh grilles put on when I bought the car and I haven't had any problems.
Nikka
Well, I would be interested to see what the difference is between these name brand aftermarket screens and the GM ones. It wasn't that they were poor quality, materials or construction wise, it's a design issue. There's no good way to secure the inside edge to the fender. Are the GM screens designed differently? I guess I need to see some to know.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just put on the front grill screen and put the others away for future installation. If I can remember putting them on my C5 it was a pain in the Hope these are not as bad. I do know that you should removed front wheel for easier access to area to mount them.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Nikka
Pro

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT
Well, I would be interested to see what the difference is between these name brand aftermarket screens and the GM ones. It wasn't that they were poor quality, materials or construction wise, it's a design issue. There's no good way to secure the inside edge to the fender. Are the GM screens designed differently? I guess I need to see some to know.
The only thing I know is that the entire front side panel was taken off the car and I think the wheels so the tech could put them on.

Last edited by Nikka; 02-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nikka
The only thing I know is that the entire front side panel was taken off the car and I think the wheels so the tech could put them on.
Holly crapper! I guess I will do without
Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

I installed the same side vent screens that you're describing and agree that it was a huge PITA for the install. However, I stuck with it and have been very happy with the results.

13 months later, they still look great and are bonded as tight as ever. It took GOBS of adhesive, a bit of custom bending, the bungee cord tie-off, some more adhesive and a lot of trial and error but the end result was worth it. Hopefully, no one ever looks behind the wheel liner because there is adhesive goop everywhere now!

I understand your frustration - sorry it didn't work. You might try the ones that insert from the outside (ASPIS or GM?)...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
The GM screens are great quality (and design) and they won't come off if installed properly. And yes, they are expensive.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
french77
Advanced

I should have taken pics during the installation but I didn't think to. Yes, I removed the inner fender and wheel. I also had my wife keep tension on the vents while I secured them from the backside. She did this by making two hooks from coat hangers and "hooking" the top and bottom of the vents where they seem to pull away the most from the fender. I added additional 3M tape to what was already on the screens and then overlapped the edges with some tape as well to prevent them from working loose. And yes it was a PIA! Cut my fingers all up on the screens sharp edges as well. But the screens are still looking good! I guess a little blood, sweat, tears is needed sometimes!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Paul, Paul, Paul, you must have some "hot blood" in you....j/k not meaning to get you angry.

What I've read is that these side vents seem to be subject to the bending of the actual fender opening. Thus, it seems like it might be difficult to get them to stick even temporarily.

I guess that was your experience. I have no idea how to make them work.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, hopefully this isn't taken as a rip on any vendors. I won't mention where I bought it but over a year ago I bought the mesh for the front and side grills. I intalled the front as soon as it came. Easy as pie. One read of the instructions for the side vents had me drop those in a drawer for a future project. Well, this weekend I installed my MGW shifter and I thought I might as well open that drawer and get the side vent mesh installed.

WHAT A PIA! Those are the worst designed pieces of crap I've ever wasted money on! I know there's a lot of folks out there who have done it and I am more than capable at DIY car projects (I do ALL my own work) but this was more than rediculous. Anyway, after dicking with one side for at least an hour. It went in the trash and I chalked it up for experience. I have NO IDEA how any of you managed to attached the "inner" edge of these suckers to the fender. I must be missing something big time but it just flapped in the breeze. I tried bending the edge to "wrap" around a bit so I could get some of the tape and/or silicone on it to no avail.

Anyway, I'm just venting because I'm pissed off. I really wanted them on the car. I think those side vents just look so unfinished. Oh well. I still have the Drivers Side mesh screen that is untouched if anyone needs just one side.

Thanks for listening.

I know about those screens-they look great, but installing them was several hours out of my life that I would like back 5min expoxy is the secrete to attaching.

Last edited by AutoCutter; 02-18-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Did you remove the front wheel, then the loosen the inner fender liner by pulling out the push pins to gain access to the inside fender? Clean the inside where the tape or adhesive is going to go well with alcohol let it dry then put the screen inside and hold a few minutes in place. Probably took me about 20-30 minutes each side 2 1/2 years ago and still there.
David
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Paul, Paul, Paul, you must have some "hot blood" in you....j/k not meaning to get you angry.
You've got me figured out It's the Italian in me

I will take a look at the GM ones. Cost is not the issue for me. I think they add a lot to the appearance. It's all about how well and easily they attach. I guees now the question is if the GM ones come in black mesh to at least come close to what I have in the front.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Did you remove the front wheel, then the loosen the inner fender liner by pulling out the push pins to gain access to the inside fender? Clean the inside where the tape or adhesive is going to go well with alcohol let it dry then put the screen inside and hold a few minutes in place. Probably took me about 20-30 minutes each side 2 1/2 years ago and still there.
David
Oh yeah. Total access was not the problem although it is tight in there even when everything is exposed. But yes, wheel off panel off and liner held out of the way. As I said, the one side is easily attached because there is some "lip" to work with. It's the other edge that has nothing, zero, to attach to! I still don't know what you guys who did it attached that edge to?I tried gooping it with silicone and ended up being able to see silicone from outside and although I know it would dry clear it looked like crap and still sections weren't tight. Maybe I was expecting too much in the first place.

Get notified of new replies

To Side Grill Mesh Rant!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
mte.smiles
Racer

I have Racemesh side grills on my 07 vert. I had a problem with them coming loose: so we used an epoxy cement very carefully on the lip and it doesn't show. Now no looseness or pop offs in almost two years. You may find that this will solve your porblem without alot of expense.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
BetterMostC6
Drifting

Thanks for listening.

Buy the APSIS ones they attach from the outside. I would never take half my car apart to stick a little flimsy screen in a slot. The APSIS units are very solid and are of high quality and look great in person. See my avatar picture on left. Anyone wanting better pictures please P/M me with your e mail address.

Last edited by BetterMostC6; 02-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mte.smiles
I have Racemesh side grills on my 07 vert. I had a problem with them coming loose: so we used an epoxy cement very carefully on the lip and it doesn't show. Now no looseness or pop offs in almost two years. You may find that this will solve your porblem without alot of expense.
Besides being fearful of using an epoxy cement on the lip, I boogered the one side up so badly trying to bend it to get it to "hook" over that lip and provide some support, I threw it in the trash. Hasta la Vista baby!

Quick Reply: Side Grill Mesh Rant!