C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 rear end wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Caeruleus Diabolus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 rear end wobbling

I tried searching for this with no avail. Maybe you all can help me out.

This mainly happens when I do WOT 0-50 or 60 MPH the rear end starts wobbling left and right (or up and down from left to right) noticably once I go past around 50 MPH, it feels as if it's the suspension.

OR if I go WOT from 50-80 etc... it seems if I go WOT from any speed and hold it, the rear end will inevitably start shaking. Tires are not burning out or losing traction.

Once I let go of the gas and set it on cruise it's fine, even at speeds over 100. I just haven't been able to figure out what it may be. My car is also past it's warranty, (42K miles). My tires are near bald, but I don't know if that would be causing this. I appreciate the assistance.

Last edited by Caeruleus Diabolus; 03-09-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM
james2292
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick thought.. I had wobbling in my rear tires once over 50 mph. I had my rear rims and tires re-balanced and it went away. The tire tech informed me that my wheel weight had came off.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default hummmmmmm

Your kidding... Right?

Sounds like wheel hop...and no traction to me...Wide open throttle... does that.

Last edited by AtHomeSoda; 03-09-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Torque.......
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Caeruleus Diabolus
Instructor

Originally Posted by james2292
Just a quick thought.. I had wobbling in my rear tires once over 50 mph. I had my rear rims and tires re-balanced and it went away. The tire tech informed me that my wheel weight had came off.
I will look into that. Thanks

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Your kidding... Right?

Sounds like wheel hop...and no traction to me...Wide open throttle... does that.
I hope it wasn't something simple like that, I'd feel like noob sauce.

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Torque.......
It can't be that, I used to be able to drive like a bat out of hell without any wobbling of any sort.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

If everything is tight in the rear end the only thing left are tires and or wheels. If it was wheels it would be constant so I don't that's the problem. Sounds to me like some new tires would solve your problem. Shouldn't be driving around on almost bald tires anyway. VERY dangerous if you have ANY moisture on the roads.... Traction control or active handling isn't going to save you with bald rear tires...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
ironmikezero
Racer

Might be a good idea to check your rear stabilizer bar mounting bolts - another recent thread in the Z06 section described how a few C6Z owners found bolt(s) missing and brackets bent...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-your-car.html

Last edited by ironmikezero; 03-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Caeruleus Diabolus
Instructor

Originally Posted by ironmikezero
Might be a good idea to check your rear stabilizer bar mounting bolts - another recent thread described how a few C6 owners found bolt(s) missing and brackets bent...
I did try to lower the car a few months ago and failed miserably because I didn't see a difference in ride height.

I need new tires, BUT I'm planning on selling the car soon. I know I will buy a C6 again in the near future. (maybe a Z06 in this economy) I just didn't want to think that after the warranty the C6's start having major problems. lol. So i'm going to tough it out on my darn near michilen pilot "slicks" in the back till I sell her.

On a side note, Surprisingly the michilen tires are leaps and bounds better than the stock good years. In the snow and ice this past week I didn't crash cause of bald tires

thanks again everyone, It seems as if it may be a small problem that I can let fly. As long as I don't mention it to the dealership that may be buying it
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caeruleus Diabolus
I tried searching for this with no avail. Maybe you all can help me out.

This mainly happens when I do WOT 0-50 or 60 MPH the rear end starts wobbling left and right (or up and down from left to right) noticably once I go past around 50 MPH, it feels as if it's the suspension.

OR if I go WOT from 50-80 etc... it seems if I go WOT from any speed and hold it, the rear end will inevitably start shaking. Tires are not burning out or losing traction.

Once I let go of the gas and set it on cruise it's fine, even at speeds over 100. I just haven't been able to figure out what it may be. My car is also past it's warranty, (42K miles). My tires are near bald, but I don't know if that would be causing this. I appreciate the assistance.
Sounds like independent suspension squirm/movement under WOT. Normally there's a lot of wheel spin going on, but with the run flats they are normally silent on the asphalt so you may not hear anything. Go under the car and tighten the sway bar and stuff. Asphalt roads with ruts can cause this squirm.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

How about loose axle nut? Have you had them tightened?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Caeruleus Diabolus
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
How about loose axle nut? Have you had them tightened?
Autocutter, I have michelin's non run flat. (worth every penny compared to stock good years)

That may be the case, I'm going to have it looked at today!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rear end wobbling

Quick Reply: C6 rear end wobbling