C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car show judges! What a Joke!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Car show judges! What a Joke!!

Let me start by saying, I am not one who cares about winning cheap little trohpies at car shows..But I do like going to them to see nice cars and to support different chariites they help out.
Anyway, I was at one on Saturday and they gave out 1-3rd place just for vettes. (open car show, about 100 cars) 1st place vette was given to a very nice an 07 Ron Fellows Z06, pure stock right off the show room floor, but very nice. 2nd and third place vette went to c5 vettes with a a few painted mods under the hood. Here is whats funny... There were 2 mint 61 vettes, an awesome 72 roadster, my widebody vette and a few others that won nothing! I did not expect to win anything with the 61 vettes and the roadster, but how the others won seemed to be just funny! Anyway, the money went to a good cause, I just hope the judges didn't spend it on drugs!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin, you gotta be kidding with the mods and work you put into your car it is a 1st place winner. Damn you got my vote for 1st.

I have had my car in a couple of shows and like you I don't understand the judges. Much like your show the show I was in the overall winner was a just purchased off the showroom floor 2007 Ford Shelby 500 GT Mustang, I mean this car still had the paper plates on the car.

Here is to the judges
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
chsmith112
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most car shows are dumb and I don't like to waste my time at them. You have to sit there all day by your car and blah blah blah. Going and looking at the cars at car shows is cool tho. But in your case it was for a good cause so that's real good. Car cruises is where the fun happens.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Most of the time it is a popularity contest
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Fu-Manchu
Racer

I don't care for "judged" shows. They're usually a popularity contest and if you're part of the "in" crowd you can win even if you don't deserve to.
I used to enter those "show and shine" type shows back in the eighties and then stopped. Talk about a popularity contest.....
Past several years I only attend a few shows/cruise nights per season.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Pictures?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Most of the time it is a popularity contest
That's for sure, but it's a day in the sun, looking at bunch of great cars and motorcycles. I've been bringing my son to car, boat, and motorcycle shows since before he could walk. He's 21 now, and he knows cars and bikes like a car guy in his 50's. Most of his friends/generation couldn't care less. Car restoration, customazation and shows are a great hobby for the owners and the lookers alike.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, but you go to one Corvette car show, you've gone to them all.

Last edited by AutoCutter; 03-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Same with any judging event. Never know what if anything goes on behind the scenes. I'm a little suspicious of some of these things.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
So true!
I went to a couple car shows in Houston when I had my 2001. I just went to look and wait for the awards presentation!
You always had a couple people in the crowd that would get totally pissed and become very vocal about it!!!
Pure Comedy!

Going to a show that has all C5 and C6 vettes is like being at a dealership with a lot full of Vettes.

The summer cruises and meetups for some food were fun!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I went to a show last year put on by santa clara corvettes in Los Altos Ca, Yea, they said that early reg. would get prime parking spots, and I didn't [#35}, but it was very well put on, I could not believe the registration package, from coupons to ZR1 hat and bag all kinds of sample's of stuff{ it just blew lake tahoe away} I went alone. I met some very nice people exchanged some great Idea's and all in all had a great day in the sun and low and behold when they were awarding trophy's I won third in the stock class for my very clean 06 I will be going back this year! and I will not be going to lake tahoe for a long time! hell at lake tahoe the people's choice was a very badly painted "circus wagon" there is no accounting for taste!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Corvette judged shows do have their flaws and so do participants choice events.
I admitt they all follow similar formats.
That said, it is still an opportunity to meet up with other Vette owners, shoot the chit and hell even have a few beers during the couse of the day.
I have learned a lot from other Vette owners I have met through the years just like I learn from people I meet on this Forum, hell I even run into a few of you at some of these events.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
I've never been to a just Corvettes show. You should go to a Good Guy's show in your area, you can spend the whole day there and still not see the whole show. There's everything at a Good Guy's show.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

I personally never understood car shows at all. I like looking at cars and seeing what mods people have done. Looking at restored muscle cars and such is fun and again, I'm amazed at what some people have done. But I've never understood taking a new or even relatively new car with little or no mods and having people judge it.

In the case with the OP, a stock Z06 wins? Was it judged on how clean it was? Why not just go to a dealership and judge all the cars there, same thing?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It's all about the people you know
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
I personally never understood car shows at all. I like looking at cars and seeing what mods people have done. Looking at restored muscle cars and such is fun and again, I'm amazed at what some people have done. But I've never understood taking a new or even relatively new car with little or no mods and having people judge it.

In the case with the OP, a stock Z06 wins? Was it judged on how clean it was? Why not just go to a dealership and judge all the cars there, same thing?
In a judged event the cars are judged on how well detailed they are. Mods are not supposed to factor in but they do catch the judges eye and are hard to ignore, especially mods done in good tatse.
In a participants choice event mods play a big role because people do the voting and they love bling.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show and shine,how true!Don't touch my car,don't get close to my car!Wusses!

Get notified of new replies

To Car show judges! What a Joke!!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
. . . a stock Z06 wins? Was it judged on how clean it was? Why not just go to a dealership and judge all the cars there, same thing?
Exactly! Buy an expensive vette, make sure it's clean and go enter it in a show. At least it'll get win, place, or show. Guess that's why I think of it the way I do.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

There was a thread in the ZR1 forum where the ZR1 owner bitched about not winning the car show he was at with his brand new bone-stock car. He got flammed hard

The winner of the show was my good buddy Mike Cizek (illmac77) who converted his 2004 Z06 into a convertible last summer at the "vettebarn" before he moved to Texas.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
I've never been to a just Corvettes show. You should go to a Good Guy's show in your area, you can spend the whole day there and still not see the whole show. There's everything at a Good Guy's show.

There are plenty of Corvette only shows around here, but, of course, there are plenty of Corvettes around here too! With respect to Good Guys shows, they are okay, but you tend to see just the same cars.

Quick Reply: Car show judges! What a Joke!!