C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Key Fob Issue

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
DougC6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '08 Key Fob Issue

Today I had a problem with the key fob. I have an 08 and it is not subject to the sensor recall. A search of the threads came up empty. The car did not see a fob. I was able to start the car by opening the trunk, open the door with the pull and placing the fob in the glovebox slot. I thought it was the fob battery because the 2nd fob worked fine when I got home. I opened the fob and tested the battery and it was ok. I put the battery back in, closed the fob and now it works fine. Has anyone had a similar problem and can this fob be trusted?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it could be something as simple as cleaning the contacts. Maybe when you removed the battery and reinserted it your scraped off a small amount of corrosion that was causing the problem? Just food for thought.

If this is in fact the case, next time you take out the battery... take a #2 pencil (the old wood kind) and use the eraser on the contacts. It's like a mild sandpaper. Clean off the contacts with the eraser and then grab a Q-tip and soak it in isopropyl alcohol and then swab the contacts. Wait to dry, then re-insert the battery.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM
J18369
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Sounds like it could be something as simple as cleaning the contacts. Maybe when you removed the battery and reinserted it your scraped off a small amount of corrosion that was causing the problem? Just food for thought.

If this is in fact the case, next time you take out the battery... take a #2 pencil (the old wood kind) and use the eraser on the contacts. It's like a mild sandpaper. Clean off the contacts with the eraser and then grab a Q-tip and soak it in isopropyl alcohol and then swab the contacts. Wait to dry, then re-insert the battery.
Good advice
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Happened to me once....Never happened again in 1.5 years..

Get notified of new replies

To '08 Key Fob Issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '08 Key Fob Issue