C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside temp sensor is stuck, can you reset it?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Outside temp sensor is stuck, can you reset it?

Started the car for the first time in a week and noticed that the outside temp reading on the heater/ac control panel was bouncing around 103F and after a few seconds it went to 75F and has been frozen at that temp for the last few days. I've put around 100 miles on the car since this happened but it still is reading 75F and I know the temp outside was lower then that when I drove the car.

I located the sensor but I was wondering if there is a way to reprogram it?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No but they are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Finelee
Started the car for the first time in a week and noticed that the outside temp reading on the heater/ac control panel was bouncing around 103F and after a few seconds it went to 75F and has been frozen at that temp for the last few days. I've put around 100 miles on the car since this happened but it still is reading 75F and I know the temp outside was lower then that when I drove the car.

I located the sensor but I was wondering if there is a way to reprogram it?
If the sensor is displaying 75F it is broken. That is simply a defult diagnostic value. It could have been damaged or the connector could have come loose. You can't reprogram it. You can try to disconnect and reconnect and if that doesn't fix it you will need to replace it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

I would unplug it and re-seat the temp sensor connector.

The sensor would have been unplugged in the front kit install so it may not be plugged in all the way or it is damaged.

Ben
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
I would unplug it and re-seat the temp sensor connector.

The sensor would have been unplugged in the front kit install so it may not be plugged in all the way or it is damaged.

Ben
Ben
I don't think it was ever unplugged when they did the front end work.
I unplugged it and snapped it back in but it still is stuck on 75F.

Talon90 said that if it's reading 75F it's broken.
I guess I will get a new one.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
No but they are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can someone please tell me where the sensor is located ? on an 05
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
RedRider1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you try to disconnect the positive cable on the battery. This should reset the onboard computer. Let me know if it works.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
RedRider1
Pro

Why don't you try to disconnect the positive cable on the battery. This should reset the onboard computer. Let me know if it works. Leave it disconnected for at least 20 minutes.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedRider1
Why don't you try to disconnect the positive cable on the battery. This should reset the onboard computer. Let me know if it works. Leave it disconnected for at least 20 minutes.
The car has 5 year warranty. I might as well use it but I might try the disconnect battery thing first.
I'll let you know if it works.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Out of curiosity, where is the sensor located?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car has 5 year warranty. I might as well use it but I might try the disconnect battery thing first.
I'll let you know if it works.
Yeah, let us know if it works.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Out of curiosity, where is the sensor located?
Yes, let us all know where the sensor is located...just for future reference...Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I and member GlennHL have noticed another temp sensor oddity.

We both drag race and we cant figure out why that temperature reading in the hvac window locks up everytime I go to the strip.

Ie: If its 43* upon entering the track and after making a few runs, it locks up on 43*. I might leave a few hours later when the ambient temps are 55* and yet it still reads 43*. Once I leave the track, about 5-10 minutes later the temp slowly climbs back up to 55* and then works normally.

Last edited by siffert; 03-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by cclive
Yes, let us all know where the sensor is located...just for future reference...Thanks
The sensor is down in the side panel of the radiator shroud on the passengers side of the rad.
You can see the sensor and the plug when you look down near the bottom of that hole.
It's about 6 inches below the air bag sensor.
The probe goes thru the plastic shroud and protrudes into the air space behind the grille.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by siffert

We both drag race and we cant figure out why that temperature reading in the hvac window locks up everytime I go to the strip.

Ie: If its 43* upon entering the track and after making a few runs, it locks up on 43*. I might leave a few hours later when the ambient temps are 55* and yet it still reads 43*. Once I leave the track, about 5-10 minutes later the temp slowly climbs back up to 55* and then works normally.
Mine has done the same thing before but it corrects itself on the drive home. I don't know why.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 AM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert

Mine does that constantly. Does it mean I am always on the track?!

Get notified of new replies

To Outside temp sensor is stuck, can you reset it?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
lgm118icbm
Instructor

Mine went out about a year back.

It would say 114 degrees most of the time. Even when it was like 70.

It was replaced under warranty, but if you don't have a warranty it is pretty easy to get at and change yourself.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The sensor is down in the side panel of the radiator shroud on the passengers side of the rad.
You can see the sensor and the plug when you look down near the bottom of that hole.
It's about 6 inches below the air bag sensor.
The probe goes thru the plastic shroud and protrudes into the air space behind the grille.
Thanks for the info!
I didn't realize it went through the shroud sideways..in other words, horizontally.

And the temperature displayed is a damped reading; in other words, its
not always real time. There are rules about displaying the previous reading before the car was turned off...and also how long the car must be driven before it displays the real time temp. I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I gather the reason is that the sensor will be bathed in heat if the car is started warm..because the radiator is right there, and it will stay hotter than the outside temp until airflow begins to lower the temp in front of the radiator. So the computer will let the airflow begin and get the temp of the sensor more in line with the real outside temp before it starts displaying it. Until then, it shows the last good reading from when there WAS airflow across it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
Thanks for the info!
I didn't realize it went through the shroud sideways..in other words, horizontally.

And the temperature displayed is a damped reading; in other words, its
not always real time. There are rules about displaying the previous reading before the car was turned off...and also how long the car must be driven before it displays the real time temp. I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I gather the reason is that the sensor will be bathed in heat if the car is started warm..because the radiator is right there, and it will stay hotter than the outside temp until airflow begins to lower the temp in front of the radiator. So the computer will let the airflow begin and get the temp of the sensor more in line with the real outside temp before it starts displaying it. Until then, it shows the last good reading from when there WAS airflow across it.
That's useful information for me right now. I was just out in the garage taking off the car cover and putting on some new plates. I started up the car for the first time since November, and the temp reading is 30 although it has to be at least 50 in the garage right now. I won't be driving the car until the first good rain washes the salt off the roads, but at least I don't have to worry about the temp sensor now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside temp sensor is stuck, can you reset it?