C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE and warranty

Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
cajun man 08
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE and warranty

Recently went to a high performance driving event,got to thinking does this void warranty.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
95blklsc
Racer

I wouldn't think so. I would be more concerned about my insurance though. If its not a timed event your insurance MAY cover it.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun man 08
Recently went to a high performance driving event,got to thinking does this void warranty.
No, not if you do not tell. I don't think so.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun man 08
Possibly. With GM in the condition they are in now, who knows?

If you blow an engine, and they know it was done on that racing surface, they could try and give you a hassle, even though you weren't actually "racing".

However there have been a couple of Z06s to die during HPDEs as a result of oil starvation issues while running on soft compound tires. They were covered under warranty. Do a search.

Originally Posted by 95blklsc
I wouldn't think so. I would be more concerned about my insurance though. If its not a timed event your insurance MAY cover it.
though do read your policy. Some of them are getting away from the "timed event" verbage and just saying "off road" or "racing surface" if they want to deny your insurance claim.

There is a thread in here where one guy just called and asked his insurance company if they would cancel him for running HPDEs, and they cancelled his *** just for asking. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Also, if the car has OnStar in it, and the airbag goes off, they can tell where the car was when it went off.

Actually more than one person was cancelled for asking.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...cancelled.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1567897615

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-11-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
95blklsc
Racer

WOW, I missed those threads about canceling for asking, that is just wrong!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

A lawyer could have a field day with that.

that is like getting arrested for asking "what is the punishment for Robbing a bank?"
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
FuRy117
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does void the warranty since GM didn't sign on to warranty a "race car". Be sure to take your plates off and give an alternate address when you go track days to be safe.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

[QUOTE='06 Quicksilver Z06;1569259546]Also, if the car has OnStar in it, and the airbag goes off, they can tell where the car was when it went off.QUOTE]

my other vehicles have OffStar, HOWEVER, the C6 was ordered with everything BUT OffStar. big brother problem solved.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The issue of insurance companies and lawyers suing them is old. Ever try to "take on" an insurance co.? Not easy. Companies have been known to raise rates for "asking" about accident coverage related to a real incident. Not claiming, asking. And this is recent news, not ancient history.

To the OP question: possibly, and it wouldn't surprise me at all. Several other makes have actually had their representatives at tracks to monitor who is racing. So far, to my knowledge, not Chevrolet, but at least a couple of the imports. Be advised!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by AORoads
The issue of insurance companies and lawyers suing them is old. Ever try to "take on" an insurance co.? Not easy.
Gee, do you think the discussion here may be an example of why the insurance and car companies are so skeptical about claims?

IMO the 'average' driver shouldn't be paying for damage those who race their cars do to them. One of the reasons I liked the Vette was the relative value the car represents and the relatively low insurance cost for a sports car. I'd like it to stay that way.

Sorry folks, just my opinion.

Last edited by C-INRED; 03-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
MN_Corvette
Racer

I am finding this rather surprising. GM knows what we do with our cars, otherwise why would they even offer a Z51 package?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a GM guy at a recent Corvette Club meeting. The deliniation - if the event is timed, warranty voided. No timer, no issues.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
FuRy117
Pro

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette
I am finding this rather surprising. GM knows what we do with our cars, otherwise why would they even offer a Z51 package?
The warranty covers damage that occurs as a result of wear or factory defects that are manifested under normal street usage. The cost of covering damage that results from modding or racing would be huge, and it only takes one search on the forum to see how many people have blown stuff up in this manner.

I'd prefer an "opt-out" clause since we're all paying for coverage we might never get but auto companies base their cost structure for warranties on proceeds from "healthy" cars paying for "the unhealthy".
Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette
I would be willling to bet that most Z51 owners do not track their cars.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
We had a GM guy at a recent Corvette Club meeting. The deliniation - if the event is timed, warranty voided. No timer, no issues.
Haven't seen the correct answer yet, including this one from a "GM guy."

The correct answer is .....drum roll.... in writing, in your warranty booklet. Everything else is opinion and speculation.

The bottom line is - reading from page 8 of my 09 Chevrolet warranty booklet:

"Damage caused as the result of any of the following in not covered:
..........racing, or other competition....."

Warranties are a very legal matter. If you ever have a question, look at what you have in writing. Internet opinions are just that opinions.

Taking your car to a race track does not void the warranty. Anybody that tells you is does is flat out lying through their teeth. Now, if you damage something during this "racing, or other competition" such as shattering the differential launching at a dragstrip, repairing that damage is not covered. But your car still has a warranty, nothing was voided.

Want to test this theory? Push your OnStar button and ask for route planning directions to your local dragstrip. Guess what will happen. You will get directions to your local dragstrip. Period. Done it numerous times myself in numerous cars to numerous tracks. The conspiracy theorists will have you believe they will somehow flag your car as a racing violator, and the only way to live free of "the man" is to totally unplug OnStar, and disable all communications to the car.

As Colonel Potter would say - Horsehockey.

Want real answers to warranty questions, read your warranty booklet.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Many new car owners that go to HDPEs use painter's tape to cover up their license plate so that their information is not made public to the manufacturer on photo websites.

This isn't a bad idea. Why take the chance?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Things may be a little foggy for me since I haven't read the manual in awhile, however I thought I remembered something in the oil section of the owner's manual that said in effect, "if racing your car, be sure to check your oil level is at the proper level and then add 1/2 quart. When done racing, drain 1/2 quart from your engine". I also think it made specific reference like, "for cars without a dry sump system".

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE and warranty

Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, more reading...

From page 4-15... Can't image they'd publish this and then say you can't drive the car spiritedly on a track...

Does anyone have a page from the warrantee book???

Last edited by inthehunt2; 03-18-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
OK, more reading...
From page 4-15... Can't image they'd publish this and then say you can't drive the car spiritedly on a track...
Just because they know that some owners will race their cars doesn't mean that they must cover damage caused by that racing under the warranty. By not covering damages under warranty they're not saying that you can't drive your car on a track, only that they are not going to pay for damage caused by your doing so.

Last edited by C-INRED; 03-18-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C-INRED
Just because they know that some owners will race their cars doesn't mean that they must cover damage caused by that racing under the warranty. By not covering damages under warranty they're not saying that you can't drive your car on a track, only that they are not going to pay for damage caused by your doing so.
Colt's instruction manuals give pointers on how to maintain their guns under combat conditions, but that doesn't mean they are going to come bail you out of jail if you go all Rambo with one of their guns. Same thing here. GM knows a certain (very small) percentage of Corvette owners are going to race their cars, but that in no way obligates GM to be their pit crew or sponsor via paying the repair bills incurred due to racing activity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE and warranty