Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Finster07
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Finster07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Arvada CO
Posts: 663
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life

Whats the difference?

I just read a thread about Advanced Auto Parts having a deal for 5 qts Mobil 1 5-30 and the Mobil 1 filter for $29. Not bad. I called and they told me that's for either the regular or extended life oil.
Finster07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
TEXHAWK0
CF Senior Member
 
TEXHAWK0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Longview Texas
Posts: 6,952
Thanked 151 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Extended Service has extra additives to extend the period between changes. You can read exactly how much on the Mobil 1 website.
TEXHAWK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
C6NRED
CF Senior Member
 
C6NRED's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: The Beautiful Inland Empire WA.
Posts: 5,933
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

At one point, the Extended Life was not yet certified for use in the Corvette.....is it now?
C6NRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 39,591
Thanked 370 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Yes, seems like quite a good oil, and it doesn't meet that GM spec for Corvettes. (from here: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp)

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Pdf
Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Print View

Product Description Features and Benefits Applications Specifications and Approvals Typical Properties Health and Safety


Product Description

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30,10W-30, and 15W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.


Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are uniquely designed to provide outstanding levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are available in a wide range of viscosities. The 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosities are recommended viscosity grades for newer vehicles. The 10W-30 viscosity provides excellent all-season performance and protection. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is formulated to provide outstanding engine protection for high performance engines and for consumers who want a higher viscosity oil and higher anti-wear performance ( ZDDP) than typically required by modern vehicles.



Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with Advanced SuperSyn System Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life.Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance under all operating conditions.
Extra levels of performance additives Provides outstanding engine protection at oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Exceptional control of oil breakdown ; Helps maintain stable oil viscosity
Provides exceptional engine protection Helps maintain long engine life and is compatible with engine seals.
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for fast protection and extended engine life. Provides less stress on your starting system

Applications

Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

* Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
* If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.
* New Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 delivers the viscosity recommended for most Ford and Honda vehilces since model year 2001. It is also the viscosity recommended for many Chryslers, beginning with model year 2005.



Back to Top

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
10W-30
15W-50
5W-20
ILSAC GF-4 GF-4 GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1"
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
VETTE IV
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil does not meet the Corvette spec GM4718M per

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...nce_5W-30.aspx

Don’t use it
VETTE IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Posts: 27,422
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTE IV View Post
Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil does not meet the Corvette spec GM4718M per

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...nce_5W-30.aspx

Donít use it
VET4LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
rjwoerheide
CF Senior Member
 
rjwoerheide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Webster Groves (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 1,576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Righto. As already stated, stick with Mobil 1.
rjwoerheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
redjetty
CF Senior Member
 
redjetty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Posts: 756
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTE IV View Post
Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil does not meet the Corvette spec GM4718M per

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...nce_5W-30.aspx

Donít use it
correct you are!!
redjetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
RRVettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RRVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Mission Viejo CA
Posts: 6,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Good post. At first glance, I would have thought it would meet GM spec.
RRVettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 20,945
Thanked 268 Times in 245 Posts
Default

And as of April first, with the Mobil One rebate certificate, 5 quarts will cost $16 at WalMart...leaves lots of money for any overpriced filter anyone would like!
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
Finster07
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Finster07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Arvada CO
Posts: 663
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclive View Post
And as of April first, with the Mobil One rebate certificate, 5 quarts will cost $16 at WalMart...leaves lots of money for any overpriced filter anyone would like!

Got it. Buy the regular stuff for only $16 at Walmart.
Finster07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Red Rochester
CF Senior Member
 
Red Rochester's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 8,018
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
Yes, seems like quite a good oil, and it doesn't meet that GM spec for Corvettes. (from here: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp)

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Pdf
Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Print View

Product Description Features and Benefits Applications Specifications and Approvals Typical Properties Health and Safety


Product Description

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30,10W-30, and 15W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.


Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are uniquely designed to provide outstanding levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are available in a wide range of viscosities. The 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosities are recommended viscosity grades for newer vehicles. The 10W-30 viscosity provides excellent all-season performance and protection. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is formulated to provide outstanding engine protection for high performance engines and for consumers who want a higher viscosity oil and higher anti-wear performance ( ZDDP) than typically required by modern vehicles.



Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with Advanced SuperSyn System Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life.Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance under all operating conditions.
Extra levels of performance additives Provides outstanding engine protection at oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Exceptional control of oil breakdown ; Helps maintain stable oil viscosity
Provides exceptional engine protection Helps maintain long engine life and is compatible with engine seals.
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for fast protection and extended engine life. Provides less stress on your starting system

Applications

Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

* Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
* If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.
* New Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 delivers the viscosity recommended for most Ford and Honda vehilces since model year 2001. It is also the viscosity recommended for many Chryslers, beginning with model year 2005.



Back to Top

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
10W-30
15W-50
5W-20
ILSAC GF-4 GF-4 GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1"
That's good just filled her up yesterday.
Red Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
JERGENSEN LS3
CF Senior Member
 
JERGENSEN LS3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Posts: 2,470
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Good to know.....Thanks
JERGENSEN LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
mike100
CF Senior Member
 
mike100's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: San Marcos CA
Posts: 4,183
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Strange though that GM's own CD that comes with the corvette owners manual shows a gold capped bottle of Mobil-1 sitting on top of the LS3 in the maintenance section of the video when talking about oil changes.

I don't think GM even knows or isn't going to officially say it is the better oil. If anything, they are not going to encourage people to try to go for 15k mile intervals, if I had to guess.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
GotVett?
CF Senior Member
 
GotVett?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: JawJa
Posts: 13,945
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTE IV View Post
Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil does not meet the Corvette spec GM4718M per

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...nce_5W-30.aspx

Donít use it
That's what I was told when I asked waay back.
GotVett? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
zich6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Support Corvetteforum!
 
zich6's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 598
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Since mine isn't a DD, I end up changing at 1 year way before 5K, so it's not worth it for me.
zich6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
USAF-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
USAF-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Guys,

I have seen countless oil analysis on Mobil products. The current oil standard is SM. The introduction of the SM standard mandated a reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil to around 800 parts per million or so. The previous standard was SL, which capped Z and P at ~ 1000ppm. By the way, SL Mobil Synthetic did meet 4718M. Anyway, it is my opinion that Mobil 1 Extended Life is nothing more than the old SL formula with a new label. I base this on oil analysis from the previous "regular" Mobil 1 Supersyn and the "new" Extended Life stuff......the numbers are identical.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Some of these (if not all) certifications cost money. Sometimes it's just cheaper not to get it, even if the oil meets and even exceeds the standard.

Another good example is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. It is exactly the same as the Famous Delvac 1, 5W-40 Gas/Diesel engine oil. Yet, under the Delvac label, the oil costs some 15-20% more a quart.

Anyway, my point is, the Extended Life stuff will meet and exceed 4718. I would use it without hesitation.....not for 15k miles though.

Rick
USAF-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #18
ssv3
CF Senior Member
 
ssv3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF-Vette View Post
Guys,

I have seen countless oil analysis on Mobil products. The current oil standard is SM. The introduction of the SM standard mandated a reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil to around 800 parts per million or so. The previous standard was SL, which capped Z and P at ~ 1000ppm. By the way, SL Mobil Synthetic did meet 4718M. Anyway, it is my opinion that Mobil 1 Extended Life is nothing more than the old SL formula with a new label. I base this on oil analysis from the previous "regular" Mobil 1 Supersyn and the "new" Extended Life stuff......the numbers are identical.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Some of these (if not all) certifications cost money. Sometimes it's just cheaper not to get it, even if the oil meets and even exceeds the standard.

Another good example is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. It is exactly the same as the Famous Delvac 1, 5W-40 Gas/Diesel engine oil. Yet, under the Delvac label, the oil costs some 15-20% more a quart.

Anyway, my point is, the Extended Life stuff will meet and exceed 4718. I would use it without hesitation.....not for 15k miles though.

Rick
Absolutely agree with you and as a matter of fact just put in the Mobil1 EP two days ago. Not waiting for 15k to change my oil.
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
gota07
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gota07's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Hope, Arkansas - '07 LMB Coupe
Posts: 5,865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've currently got the Mobil 1 Exteneded oil in my Vette. The last time I was due for a change, I couldn't find the regular Mobil 1 and went ahead and got the extended oil just to get the change done.

I'll change it out when the oil life monitor indicates it's time for it, and will look for the regular Mobil 1 for my next fill.
gota07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
Walt White Coupe
CF Senior Member
 
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Phila Suburbs 2016 C7 & 2013 650xi
Posts: 7,688
Thanked 307 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF-Vette View Post
Guys,

I have seen countless oil analysis on Mobil products. The current oil standard is SM. The introduction of the SM standard mandated a reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil to around 800 parts per million or so. The previous standard was SL, which capped Z and P at ~ 1000ppm. By the way, SL Mobil Synthetic did meet 4718M. Anyway, it is my opinion that Mobil 1 Extended Life is nothing more than the old SL formula with a new label. I base this on oil analysis from the previous "regular" Mobil 1 Supersyn and the "new" Extended Life stuff......the numbers are identical.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Some of these (if not all) certifications cost money. Sometimes it's just cheaper not to get it, even if the oil meets and even exceeds the standard.

Another good example is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. It is exactly the same as the Famous Delvac 1, 5W-40 Gas/Diesel engine oil. Yet, under the Delvac label, the oil costs some 15-20% more a quart.

Anyway, my point is, the Extended Life stuff will meet and exceed 4718. I would use it without hesitation.....not for 15k miles though.

Rick

Walt White Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Mobil1 extended life oil - is it approved for the c6? jpgolf14 C6 Corvette General Discussion 5 05-22-2008 08:46 PM
    Regular Mobil1 or extended life Mobil1 bigsteveo C4 ZR-1 Discussion 18 01-16-2008 10:30 AM
    Mobil 1 extended life oil filters NDMIKE88 C5 General 10 01-03-2007 02:48 PM
    Anybody using Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W? waupachino C5 General 23 11-12-2005 03:54 PM
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter John Galt C5 Tech 8 06-24-2005 03:07 PM


    Tags
    10w30, 530, 5w20, bad, c6, change, corvette, extended, interval, ls3, mobil, mobile, oil, performance, require, turbos, vs

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.