C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery restart troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Easy Ed
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Battery restart troubles

On vacation in Florida and because I did not shut off the radar detector it killed the battery over 2 days. AAA could not start it and I am pretty sure their rig had enough juice. Symptoms are:
When the green start button is depressed nothing happens... Green light goes out but no cranking. All accessories work on jump power, but I think the battery is fully discharged. AAA tesed the batt and said it is OK, just discharged. Waiting for a flatbed to take her to the local dealer tomorrow morning but I am convinced that it is something simple like the car's anti theft system is keeping it from starting. Tried the "inset fob into the slot" in the glovebox, no go.

Vehicle: Early 2005 Vert manual xmission. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If the battery is completely discharged, even with jumpers it will take a few minutes of charging before there is enough to start the car. And if the battery was completely discharged it is probably never going to take a full charge again, unless it is relatively new. I would suggest just getting a new one.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

After a new battery is installed, hopefully all you should have to reset is the window indexing. A few have lost their radio presets, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done.

This is called resetting of the window indexing or power window initialize and is in the owner's manual. See page 2-17 of the 2005 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2006 owner’s manual, page 87 of the 2007 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2008 owner’s manual, or page 2-18 of the 2009 owner's manual.
Good luck on getting the required battery without too much more trouble.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
If the battery is completely discharged, even with jumpers it will take a few minutes of charging before there is enough to start the car. And if the battery was completely discharged it is probably never going to take a full charge again, unless it is relatively new. I would suggest just getting a new one.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
1967droptop
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try calling H & H Corvettes in the Orlando area 407 834-8532. They specialize in Corvettes and were easy to work with when I purchased my C6 from them earlier this year. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Bellboy
Racer

This is probably not the case but........ You did remember to push the clutch all the way down when trying to start the car, didn't you? Sometimes in our frustration we forget the little simple procedures.
Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
geoharrison
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bellboy
This is probably not the case but........ You did remember to push the clutch all the way down when trying to start the car, didn't you? Sometimes in our frustration we forget the little simple procedures.
Just a thought.
This one caught me before
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would just go to Walmart, buy a group 47 battery for $65 and put it in. This would be much easier and possibly less damaging than dragging the car onto a flatbed.

If you don't have a wrench with you to unhook the battery, you can buy a cheapie with the battery and still be ahead of what this will cost you at the dealer.

And when you get home, please change the power for the detector over to a switched source...plenty of info on this forum for doing this. There is no reason to have the detector powered when the car is off. Also I bet the battery was weak anyway, because it should run a radar detector for quite a while with the car off.

Last edited by cclive; 03-24-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery restart troubles

Quick Reply: Dead Battery restart troubles