C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iSimple iPod install--not so simple

Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
glacierbay2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iSimple iPod install--not so simple

After installing my Peripheral iSimple iPod unit--the car wouldn't work. Unhooked the unit--the car works again.

I have an '09 M6 with Z51, 3LT, HUD, 6 disc stereo with no nav. The iSimple box has a big GM ISGM74 sticker on the box, and I used the PGHGM5 harness. The dipswitches were "off" as instructed. The install is very easy once you get the console off; the 12 pin and 24 pin plugs are foolproof (ha! maybe not). The 8 pin plug went into the proper spot in the main unit.

So...all hooked up. Reconnect battery. Push power to the stereo and the face of the stereo illuminates, the CD changer starts to initialize and then it goes dark. Push the accessory button and hear a series of clicks, but nothing else. I also note that the car does not recognize the fob--it won't unlock the doors, the car won't start. Hmmmm. Tried reconnecting the battery a couple of times, tried some magical words ($!^&$%#), made sure all the connections were tight. I got no love. So with visions of flatbeds and astronomical dealer repair costs I take the iPod adaptor out--and everything goes back to normal. Whew.

I've read posts about '08 cars and this iPod adaptor (which allows you to control the iPod info from the head unit instead of fumbling with that stupid little wheel on the iPod itself) that have been installed with no problems, but I think the cars had Nav. The iPod adaptor looks and feels like a well made product. It's very impressive, actually. It just doesn't seem to work in my car--or more accurately my car doesn't seem to work with the adaptor in it.

So buyers beware. If others have had a successful install in a car optioned identically like mine, I'd love to hear about it. I might have a defective unit. Or I might be the defective unit. If anyone wants a new iPod adaptor at a discount, let me know. I've got one I'm not using.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by glacierbay2
After installing my Peripheral iSimple iPod unit--the car wouldn't work. Unhooked the unit--the car works again.

I have an '09 M6 with Z51, 3LT, HUD, 6 disc stereo with no nav. The iSimple box has a big GM ISGM74 sticker on the box, and I used the PGHGM5 harness. The dipswitches were "off" as instructed. The install is very easy once you get the console off; the 12 pin and 24 pin plugs are foolproof (ha! maybe not). The 8 pin plug went into the proper spot in the main unit.

So...all hooked up. Reconnect battery. Push power to the stereo and the face of the stereo illuminates, the CD changer starts to initialize and then it goes dark. Push the accessory button and hear a series of clicks, but nothing else. I also note that the car does not recognize the fob--it won't unlock the doors, the car won't start. Hmmmm. Tried reconnecting the battery a couple of times, tried some magical words ($!^&$%#), made sure all the connections were tight. I got no love. So with visions of flatbeds and astronomical dealer repair costs I take the iPod adaptor out--and everything goes back to normal. Whew.

I've read posts about '08 cars and this iPod adaptor (which allows you to control the iPod info from the head unit instead of fumbling with that stupid little wheel on the iPod itself) that have been installed with no problems, but I think the cars had Nav. The iPod adaptor looks and feels like a well made product. It's very impressive, actually. It just doesn't seem to work in my car--or more accurately my car doesn't seem to work with the adaptor in it.

So buyers beware. If others have had a successful install in a car optioned identically like mine, I'd love to hear about it. I might have a defective unit. Or I might be the defective unit. If anyone wants a new iPod adaptor at a discount, let me know. I've got one I'm not using.

The information I can find on the iSimple ISGM74 states that it is compatible with 2005-2008 Corvette. The firmware and the VCIM changed for 2009 to accomodate the addition of the Bluetooth integration. I suspect that this may be your problem.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Dwarflord
Advanced

I was going to buy this exact unit for my '09 because it sounded exactly what I was looking for. I went to buy it online, but they only had up through the '08s as compatible. I didnt think there was any difference between the '08 and '09 stereos we had, so I posted here and also emailed them to ask if this unit was compatible with the '09s. I got a lot of replies here stating there is a difference in the stereo and other things, as talon90 states. I also got a reply back from the manufacturer stating that "It has not been tested with the '09 and we can not guarantee compatibility". That was enough for me. I am still waiting for them to develop one for the '09s. I havent found another system I like yet that is compatible with the '09s. I am pretty certain the problem you are having isnt the device, but its just incompatible.
GL
Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
H-TOWNC6
Racer

Had Car Toys install it in my 07' this past January. Didn't work, so I had it removed.
iNOTSOSimple........from the makers of ScamWoW.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

I've heard alot about how moreso a pain than pleasure this has been. I'm glad I have an AUX jack.

Get notified of new replies

To iSimple iPod install--not so simple

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iSimple iPod install--not so simple