C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"rotate" front tires only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "rotate" front tires only?

Can you switch only the front tires, keep the directional arrows pointed front if I have the Z51 tires, 2008 C6? I don't want the inner portion of the tire to wear because of the camber settings, as I like the handling of the .75 camber. I think they're the Goodyear Eagle F1 SC. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Ive done that several times with my C5s....as long as you keep the direction (arrow) correct you'll be fine......Make sure you keep the wheels on the same side or your pressure sensors wont be accurate..
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The GY super car tires on a Z51 are not unidirectional. No arrows.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNeil
Can you switch only the front tires, keep the directional arrows pointed front if I have the Z51 tires, 2008 C6? I don't want the inner portion of the tire to wear because of the camber settings, as I like the handling of the .75 camber. I think they're the Goodyear Eagle F1 SC. Thanks!
The Supercars aren't directional, they're asymmetric. Meaning that there's an inside and an outside. If you swap the front tires, you won't be achieving anything - the inside left will become the inside right and vice-versa.

A C6 properly set-up for the street will handle and won't chew up the inside front tires.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

with the previous posts!

There are no directional arrows on the F1 SC tires on the Z51 or Z06 - so yes, you can swap the tires from side-to-side.

Butt.....that's not going to take care of your "inner portion" because it will still be the inner portion when you just swap sides.

If you're talking about "flipping" the tires on the wheel, you can do that with many tires, but not the SuperCar tires - look on the sidewall and you'll see that there is an indication of which side is to be mounted "outwards".

Bob
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
freyke
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotating that way is dangerous... regardless of rotation direction (or lack thereof) printed/embossed on the tires. This is because the plys inside the tire have "learned" to go one way; rotating the tires in the opposite direction loosens the laminate structure of the tire and can lead to catastrophic tire failure! Just my two cents.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I'm still trying to figure out how to rotate "only the front tires" and "keep the directional arrows pointed front"

Not possible unless you dismount 'em from the rim and remount them backwards (inside wall out, outside wall in)
Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, your front tires wear quicker on the inside with a mere -0.75deg camber ? Can you take corners at higher speed ?

And I have -2deg front camber
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clarify. I'll keep the wheels on the same side, but take the tires, keeping them both pointed to the front of the car and switch them. However, if there is a specific outside and inside of the tire, or unless the tread is identical and symetrical, I can't do it. In other words, those tires must stay on that side, regardless, correct?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNeil
Let me clarify. I'll keep the wheels on the same side, but take the tires, keeping them both pointed to the front of the car and switch them. However, if there is a specific outside and inside of the tire, or unless the tread is identical and symetrical, I can't do it. In other words, those tires must stay on that side, regardless, correct?
The tires are asymmetrical. There's an inside and an outside. There's only one way to mount them on a wheel. The person doing the mounting does not need to know what side of the car they will be going on.

If you jacked up the car, pulled both front wheels and put them side-by-side in the garage, there would be no way to tell which one came from the left side and which one came from the right.

Rotating is pointless because the inside edge remains the inside edge.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by freyke
Rotating that way is dangerous... regardless of rotation direction (or lack thereof) printed/embossed on the tires. This is because the plys inside the tire have "learned" to go one way; rotating the tires in the opposite direction loosens the laminate structure of the tire and can lead to catastrophic tire failure! Just my two cents.
No - that's not true at all with modern tires.

When running on the track with OE Supercar tires, I'll swap them from side-to-side to keep the wear even and that creates no problem at all.

At driver's meetings and HPDE classroom sessions this commonly comes up, and the tire reps and very experienced racing instructors concur that it's not only okay but it's desirable in order to even out the wear.

If you've got the GS-2's on the base C6 then you've got a directional tread for water dispersion in the wet, and they should be run in the direction indicated on the sidewall.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To "rotate" front tires only?

Quick Reply: "rotate" front tires only?