C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
MN_Corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate bracket

I was just perusing through the museum's store and ran across this:

http://store.corvettemuseum.com/detail.aspx?ID=1071

Does anybody use this? How does it work out for you?

Anybody know if this would satisfy requirements in Minnesota?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
yello9
Advanced

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette

Thanks!
I looked at the picture and liked the fact that it is a nice solid mount. The question that I would have however, is that the name of the State is hidden and possibly some other info also. [exp. date]
I have made a study of this problem for my Corvette because I heard that there is going to be a crackdown because of the use of radar guns, cameras, et.
A friend of mine who owns two Vettes steered me to mamotorworks.com It is in the Midwest and my friend has used this company for many years. [they're reliable]
Two days ago I placed an order for a retractable, remote control front license plate bracket. I have a C6 and it mounts under the lowest piece of body color on the front of the car. The beauty of it is that it comes forward and UP, doesn't just flip down. Lower I don't need.
My friend has been to the Bloomington show, here in Illinois [15000 Vettes] and saw many of these installed and in operation.
There are two versions available. One is manual and the other electric w/remote.
The remote one with delivery and taxes is going to cost me $199 and some change. Hope this helps, Yello9
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette

Thanks!
There's always the "Show n Go" plate from Zip Products or Eckler's.
One is manual $49.
The other one is remote. 159.00?
If your car has a front end bra this set up will work

Last edited by LS WON; 04-03-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

I have this mount but have not used it, going with no front plate and so far no problems. I am led to believe this mount is not legal but perhaps the cops would give you a break for at least having the plate mounted, cheap enough and worth a shot.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have this mount but have not used it, going with no front plate and so far no problems. I am led to believe this mount is not legal but perhaps the cops would give you a break for at least having the plate mounted, cheap enough and worth a shot.
They have been pulling people over for tinted windows then they will cite you for having no front plate. Two different fines $$ and in order to get ticket signed off you have to bring car back corrected.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

I bought one one of these and tried to install it, but the extra cooler on the Z51 package is sort of in the way. I figure I will have to cut or bend the plate to fit it on the plate mount. It also appears that it might restrict airflow around the cooler.

For now, I too will remain plateless.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 PM
rmsglass
Heel & Toe

Default c5 Minnesota plate

My wife took my Vette out while I was away on business. Have had no trouble without front plate until now but she parked in a no park zone and got cited for that, $25. While the cop was at it, gave her a $111 no plate ticket. I broke down and put it on!!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

With the way local, state, and federal governments want more $$$ we will see more revenue cops stopping people for these equipment violations, and more of those cameras that photograph you and your plates.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I just keep my TF removeable mount in the back. If the cop gives me a problem I'll say I lost a wingnut. Mounts that hide part of a plate are a good way to get pulled over and look real bad on an expensive car.

Google minnesota driving laws and see what you can find.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yello9
I looked at the picture and liked the fact that it is a nice solid mount. The question that I would have however, is that the name of the State is hidden and possibly some other info also. [exp. date]
I have made a study of this problem for my Corvette because I heard that there is going to be a crackdown because of the use of radar guns, cameras, et.
A friend of mine who owns two Vettes steered me to mamotorworks.com It is in the Midwest and my friend has used this company for many years. [they're reliable]
Two days ago I placed an order for a retractable, remote control front license plate bracket. I have a C6 and it mounts under the lowest piece of body color on the front of the car. The beauty of it is that it comes forward and UP, doesn't just flip down. Lower I don't need.
My friend has been to the Bloomington show, here in Illinois [15000 Vettes] and saw many of these installed and in operation.
There are two versions available. One is manual and the other electric w/remote.
The remote one with delivery and taxes is going to cost me $199 and some change. Hope this helps, Yello9
Let me know how that install goes and if it is a quality product. Something that won't give you problems down the road or fall apart since this piece moves.
I can say that the product from Zip products where you can remove your plate is a quality piece priced at $144. But unfortunately for me because I have a Speed Lingerie Bra it won't work on my application so I have to consider something like this remote mount. The manual mount is alot less in cost like $49.95. vs. $159.
But I can go plate less then when suspect with a flick of a button I will have a front plate on a as needed basis.
Keep me posted on this thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it would scrape the plate to me.

I bought a show n' go and mounted it in the center. I think I am going to have to get something else because I have already scraped it a couple of times. I think the scraping issue may be why they say to mount them offset. They were really are designed for C5 Vettes, but include instructions for use with the C6 as well.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
Looks like it would scrape the plate to me.

I bought a show n' go and mounted it in the center. I think I am going to have to get something else because I have already scraped it a couple of times. I think the scraping issue may be why they say to mount them offset. They were really are designed for C5 Vettes, but include instructions for use with the C6 as well.
Did you get the manual one or remote? I know they probably have the same mounting space. The plate does look better in the center if you have to have a plate on your car but on this "show n go plate" it is going to have to be to the side.
The GM mount above looks even lower.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON
Did you get the manual one or remote? I know they probably have the same mounting space. The plate does look better in the center if you have to have a plate on your car but on this "show n go plate" it is going to have to be to the side.
The GM mount above looks even lower.

I bought the manual one. The way it is installed is pretty hokey. It has three screws that go into expanding rubber plugs which are put into the plastic. Kind of like the cheap wall anchors for drywall. I didn't think that this was a very good setup, so I installed it with extra sheet metal above the plastic to spread the load. If I had it to do over again, I would not go this way. The forum vendor I bought it from took 3 weeks to ship. Six days to respond to an email. The forum moderator seems to think this is a reasonable way to provide service. All things considered this is the worst experience I have had with my vette so far.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
1971 LS5 DROPTOP
Instructor

Thank the good lord! We are not required to have a butt ugly tag mounted on the front.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I bought the manual one. The way it is installed is pretty hokey. It has three screws that go into expanding rubber plugs which are put into the plastic. Kind of like the cheap wall anchors for drywall. I didn't think that this was a very good setup, so I installed it with extra sheet metal above the plastic to spread the load. If I had it to do over again, I would not go this way. The forum vendor I bought it from took 3 weeks to ship. Six days to respond to an email. The forum moderator seems to think this is a reasonable way to provide service. All things considered this is the worst experience I have had with my vette so far.
Those large companies like Zip Products, Corvette Mid-America, or Eckler's ship fast and offer a 100% refund if not satisfied.

That license plate mount from ZIP products for $144 is a quality piece. It enables you to also remove plate. I bought it but unfortunately it would work well with my application since I have a front end cover on my car and would cause cover not to fit right if installed. A big hole would have had to been cut into that expensive Speed Lingerie Bra.

Last edited by LS WON; 05-31-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=LS WON;1570277420]Those large companies like Zip Products, Corvette Mid-America, or Eckler's ship fast and offer a 100% refund if not satisfied.
QUOTE]

It was one of those companies. Maybe my experience was unusual and I just got really unlucky on both shipping time and email response time.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

[QUOTE=widgetsupply;1570280510]
Originally Posted by LS WON
Those large companies like Zip Products, Corvette Mid-America, or Eckler's ship fast and offer a 100% refund if not satisfied.
QUOTE]

It was one of those companies. Maybe my experience was unusual and I just got really unlucky on both shipping time and email response time.
I can't remember which company did it maybe it was Corvette Mid-America but they called me to inform me that they will be sending out new car cover free of charge that will fit the car better and just keep the old cover which I was using as the old ones were improperly fitted. At least they took this inititive by phone contact which I found very surprising but great.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Maybe I'll buy from them next time. Thanks for the heads up about the good service.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Maybe I'll buy from them next time. Thanks for the heads up about the good service.
I would and have done so since.

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate bracket

Quick Reply: Front license plate bracket