C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS and Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS and Window Tinting

Hello all!

I just recently purchased a new 2009 Corvette Coupe with the navagation system. I have a few questions for you out there.

According to the "Navagation System Manual" (page 2-60) it says:

"Notice: Do not apply after-market glass tinting to the vehicles windows. Glass tinting interferes with the systems's ability to receive GPS signalsand causes the system to malfunction. The window might have to be replaced to correct the problem. This would not be covered by warranty."

After doing some other research on the internet it would appear that metallic window tint films attenuates the GPS signal. (Or reflects it maybe?)

***Updated*** (Bad wording on my part.)
If this is the case then my next reaction would be to use the new ceramic films. However, it would appear that none of the local window tinters carry the product, and I have been told that they cannot fit the ceramic film to the curve of the back glass. Other types of films can be.(Or, so I have been told.)

Questions:

(1) Where is the GPS attenna located? (Other posts suggest it is located behind the left center AC vent on the center of the dash.)

***Update***
I just read the manual some more. Looks like that antenna might be located around the rear shelf; "This system may not be available or interference may occur if any of the following are true: "Objects are located on the rear shelf of the vehicle.""

(2) Has anyone had any problems with tinting thier windows with metalic films and thier GPS units?

The accessories person at the Dealership claims he has had no problems with it. Only the Malibu seems to be affected with the FM antenna...

I was not planning on tinting the front winshield at all. I just wanted the doors, and back glass.

Anyones comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(First post by the way. Glad I found the site!)

***Update***

I found a place locally that will use the ceramic tint! 15% here I come!)

Last edited by Fox183; 04-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just use regualr tint and you wont have any problems. Go with the regular black tint and you will be fine.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

When I had my 2009 vert done they refused to put a strip at the top of the frond windshield because they said it would mess up the nav
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You want to use a color stable non-reflective film.

Personally I would choose Solargard Supreme. Not HP Supreme as the HP has metal. Just NR Supreme. I am not a big fan of Llumar or 3M, but they also make comparable products.

A windshield strip will not interfere with Antenna using an NR Color Stable product. Also the Vette is a tough cookie to tint so make sure you seek out a reputable good tinter. The tint will lay down over the dots without turning white in the rear if he's good. Black paint, vinyl, or "it will dry" are not acceptable.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

There are way too many cars tinted for this to be an issue! Just stay away from metallics.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Do not use metallized tints if you have GPS. The ceramic tints are much better for GPS and provide better heat rejection than the dyed tints.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM
BBinFla
Instructor

I recently had my vette windows tinted and since I don't have Nav they said I could use the metallic tint. With Nav they don't recommend metallic because it does interfere on some vehicles. As for being able to do the back window in one piece, a knowledgeable tinter can do it whether it's metallic tint or not without a problem.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Updated !!!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

If the OEM unit is that picky then I'm glad I went with Garmin.

As far as the rear window talk to your local Corvette Club. I'm sure they will have a few recommendations. The ones in your areas sound like newbies.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
There are way too many cars tinted for this to be an issue! Just stay away from metallics.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

What if you just decided to scratch the whole tint idea. I know I'm in the minority but I've never really cared for a tinted window past what comes from the factory.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 6SPDRCR
What if you just decided to scratch the whole tint idea. I know I'm in the minority but I've never really cared for a tinted window past what comes from the factory.
That has ran across my mind. But, I just gotta have the windows tinted. I like the "look" it provides....
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As usual, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
Metallic tint will NOT affect the factory NAV as long as you don’t tint the front windshield.
As mentioned, the antenna is under the dash so as long as it can receive the signal down through the front glass you could put whatever you want on the side and rear.
I have Llumar metallic on the sides and rear and my factory NAV works just fine.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
If the OEM unit is that picky then I'm glad I went with Garmin.

As far as the rear window talk to your local Corvette Club. I'm sure they will have a few recommendations. The ones in your areas sound like newbies.
At Costco right now you can get a Garmin Nuvi 265 with free lifetime subscription to traffic reports all for $249.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Z06 has ceramic window tint, but not on the windshield. Plus, the body panels are composite, your GPS navigation should be able to get signals from other directions.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Metallic tint will NOT affect the factory NAV as long as you don’t tint the front windshield.
As mentioned, the antenna is under the dash so as long as it can receive the signal down through the front glass you could put whatever you want on the side and rear.
I have Llumar metallic on the sides and rear and my factory NAV works just fine.
You might want to check up on that. This info is everywhere, this is just one.
http://advancedfilmfl.net/2008/01/07...erference.aspx
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I posted this thread as a fact-finding mission. I am very glad to hear that you are having no issues. I think that I am just going to have the windows tinted and risk it.
However, I would like you to read the 2009 Corvette Navagation System Manual on Page 2-60. I think the GPS antenna is located on the back glass.

"This system may not be available or interferences may occur if any of the following are true."

* Objects are located on the rear shelf of the vehicle

* After-market glass tinting has been applied to the vehicle's rear windshield.

This makes me think it is located on the back glass, but the dealership claims it is on the front dash.

I dunno.

I'll keep everyone advised of my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To GPS and Window Tinting

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Wah
My Z06 has ceramic window tint, but not on the windshield. Plus, the body panels are composite, your GPS navigation should be able to get signals from other directions.
Who did you use to install the "ceramic tint" on your Corvette?

I have been told by two different window tint installers that that kind of tint will not fit to the curve of the back glass. Your statement here make me think they are lying to me, or trying to sell me the standard window film.

Grrr....
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fox183
I posted this thread as a fact-finding mission. I am very glad to hear that you are having no issues. I think that I am just going to have the windows tinted and risk it.
However, I would like you to read the 2009 Corvette Navagation System Manual on Page 2-60. I think the GPS antenna is located on the back glass.
"This system may not be available or interferences may occur if any of the following are true."

* Objects are located on the rear shelf of the vehicle

* After-market glass tinting has been applied to the vehicle's rear windshield.

This makes me think it is located on the back glass, but the dealership claims it is on the front dash.
The antenna is located in the dash. Of course the signal comes from multiple directions, not just through the front or windshield.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Fox183
8th Gear

Updated!

Quick Reply: GPS and Window Tinting