C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 questions remaining after many searches.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default LS3 questions remaining after many searches.

Looking to get back to Vettes . Seems like with the TR6060 and LS3 it might be right time. I'd choose MZ6, Z51, 3LT and NPP, by the way. Here are my questions:

1. Is GM fitting pistons to cylinders on the LS3 again? I know they stopped for cost reasons, and both my Vette and GTO had piston-slap. I read that the new piston skirts on the LS3 are supposed to 'minimize' that, but am curious if they're fitted. If not, are tolerances any better than on the LS2? I don't want another piston-slapping engine, and the problem is you can't really tell until winter sets in.

2. Main reason to sell both the Vette and GTO was the annoying and embarrassing engine ticking sound. This is not the normal tick, tick, tick you hear with the hood lifted. This is the TICK, TICK, TICK you hear inside your garage or on a drive-thru. It's the sound of a 150K-mile old truck in need of a valve adjustment. Read the LS3 has all kinds of noise-reduction improvements, so if noise is not eliminated but masked, I don't care. As long as I don't hear it, I'd be a happy camper. So can you hear your LS3 engine tick on a drive-thru or your garage with the window down after a long ride?

3. I lost my proverbial a$$ when selling both cars, so for the first time in my life, will probably buy a used '08. Are there any reliability issues with LS3 engines I need to be aware of? And no, I don't plan to touch my engine. Any links would be appreciated if that's the case, to know what VINs or build dates to avoid.

4. What exactly were the improvements in the steering and interior in '08? And does TR6060s come with a shorter-throw shifter than the T56, besides the internal improvements?

5. Read the PCV didn't change in '08, so I guess that means a catch can again on this car, correct? That's it for now folks. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Looking to get back to Vettes . Seems like with the TR6060 and LS3 it might be right time. I'd choose MZ6, Z51, 3LT and NPP, by the way. Here are my questions:

1. Is GM fitting pistons to cylinders on the LS3 again? I know they stopped for cost reasons, and both my Vette and GTO had piston-slap. I read that the new piston skirts on the LS3 are supposed to 'minimize' that, but am curious if they're fitted. If not, are tolerances any better than on the LS2? I don't want another piston-slapping engine, and the problem is you can't really tell until winter sets in.

2. Main reason to sell both the Vette and GTO was the annoying and embarrassing engine ticking sound. This is not the normal tick, tick, tick you hear with the hood lifted. This is the TICK, TICK, TICK you hear inside your garage or on a drive-thru. It's the sound of a 150K-mile old truck in need of a valve adjustment. Read the LS3 has all kinds of noise-reduction improvements, so if noise is not eliminated but masked, I don't care. As long as I don't hear it, I'd be a happy camper. So can you hear your LS3 engine tick on a drive-thru or your garage with the window down after a long ride?

3. I lost my proverbial a$$ when selling both cars, so for the first time in my life, will probably buy a used '08. Are there any reliability issues with LS3 engines I need to be aware of? And no, I don't plan to touch my engine. Any links would be appreciated if that's the case, to know what VINs or build dates to avoid.

4. What exactly were the improvements in the steering and interior in '08? And does TR6060s come with a shorter-throw shifter than the T56, besides the internal improvements?

5. Read the PCV didn't change in '08, so I guess that means a catch can again on this car, correct? That's it for now folks. Many thanks in advance for your help.
1) Piston slap is most audible when the engine is cold, but be aware that ALL engines have a certain amount of piston slap.

2) This is because of changes in the LS3 intake manifold (and I'm sure a couple other areas). I have an LS2 and I dont have any engine noise issues.

3) Only if you treat the car like ****

4) Do a search

5) This isn't even necessary.

Last edited by BornSUPERCHARGED; 04-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Thanks buddy. My eyes are bleeding from so much reading, but will continue reading searches later on if nobody is kind enough to answer those questions.
Many thanks for your answers; really appreciate it. Yeah, piston slap is only a problem when cold, but even in mild TX, both cars did it a handful of times, and it sounds horrendous man. And with my freaking luck, both my engines were noisy. Several people I know with Vettes were half noisy and half silent, and coincidentally, the silent ones had no piston slap; the others did, just like mine. I want better odds this time, so if tolerances are still crap, might have to choose something else. Or wait for a car that has no noise issues. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-23-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you've done "many searchs" and haven't found any issues you can't live with, then you're ready to make the deal.

I don't know if the "winter" in El Paso is a lot colder than Phoenix, but with 38K on my '08, I hear no piston slap or ticking sounds. You could invest in ear plugs instead of trading cars if you can't handle any noise.

The only "problems" I've heard about and also experienced, are early alternator failure and broken Titanium glove box latches.

Chack this site for changes in '08. http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...2008press.html

GM says 100K warranty without a catch can. You may feel different.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

I have an 08 LS3, Z51 3LT car that I added Z06 mufflers to.

1.Gm added a manifold "cover" that is insulated with the same foam on the back of the FRC's to quiet down some of the "tick". There is still some though. Here is a good read on the LS3 http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ls3_page1.html

3 So far there have not been any engine failures (stock) that I remember. No vin range to worry about. There have been some timing chain failures post cam installs that point to maybe a weak chain, or manufacturing defect. These were modded engines. There was some mention of some hollowstem valve failures, but no hard documentation.

4 The TR6060 did get a shorter throw shifter. There is a problem with most when cold <40 degrees, the 1-2 shift is very notchy, enough that I usually shift 1-3 until the transmission warms up. Some have gotten a little relief from changing out tranny fluid.
There steering is greatly improved over the 07's and before. I test drove a couple of 07's and the numb comments were real.

Here is some more reading that might interest you: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2008press.html

5 PCV system still sucks oil into the intake..Catch can required..
Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nwc6
I have an 08 LS3, Z51 3LT
That's exactly what I'd get, and I can always add the Z06 mufflers in lieu of NPP.
So 1-2 when cold is still an issue, huh? Royal Purple Synchromesh made a huge difference on the T56, so I'd do that to the TR6060 as well. Glad to hear it has shorter throws; just a little is all I need. And another catch can is not a big deal at all. I should open an account with Elite Engineering . And a CAGS defeat and M2W (for NPP) are a must as well.

Since I'll buy used, I only have to make sure I buy a quiet engine. They were 50/50 chances of that on the LS2. As long as it doesn't sound embarrassing, I'm fine. And the clown mentioning ear plugs, the noise is OUTSIDE, not inside. Many folks asked me what was wrong with my engine, as you could easily hear the noise on open spaces as well, especially behind the front wheels. And yes, that's a deal breaker for me, but seems like the intake changes should make it tolerable to me. And a lot more people must have complained as well, or GM wouldn't have made those changes.

Seems like the only interior 'upgrade' was the console surroud. Big deal. At least the steering, tranny and engine were. Thanks again.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-23-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

My C5 would clatter and tick for about 5 minutes on a cold morning. Sounded like a stuck lifter.. Embarrassing in the parking lot at work..
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

And the clown mentioning ear plugs, the noise is OUTSIDE, not inside.
Yeah! I'm the clown who responded to your request for more information.

You did state: "As long as I don't hear it, I'd be a happy camper."

You're welcome.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Your post(s) appear as if you don't quite like much about the car, so why buy it? The luck of finding the car in the condition and sound that you want seems like what you said, 50-50. That's a big gamble if you ask me.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

You seem to have found enough to not warrant a purchase . I suggest you move up to the higher priced sport cars of european vintage.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
You seem to have found enough to not warrant a purchase . I suggest you move up to the higher priced sport cars of european vintage.

Clearly not a true Vette guy IMHO. It's a machine...machines make noise.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ELP_JC, I was Owe5Goat on LS1GTO.com. I moved back to the vette world in January. I picked up an '09 Black MZ6, Z51, 3LT, NPP Coupe with 900 miles on it for $47k back in January. I sold my goat back in Nov. '08.

The LS3 in my car is quiet as a mouse. All you hear is a slight tick from the injectors and the car shifts much better than the GTO ever did. Love this car.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by nwc6
I have an 08 LS3, Z51 3LT car that I added Z06 mufflers to.

1.Gm added a manifold "cover" that is insulated with the same foam on the back of the FRC's to quiet down some of the "tick". There is still some though. Here is a good read on the LS3 http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ls3_page1.html
Great article, but I didn't see anything about a manifold cover to reduce noise.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

If you sold not one but two LS-motored cars mainly because of piston slap, I strongly suggest you don't buy a Vette. Something or other about it will set you off and you'll just lose your butt selling it again. Good as they are, they remain plastic Chevys and that fact has to be accepted. Try a BMW or Porsche. Good luck with finding your automotive happiness.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I don't understand why piston slap annoys people... it's a function of an all aluminum engine. Once all warmed up tolerances come in line and the slap goes away.

Plus, it's been prooven that it doesn't harm anything or decrease engine life in any way.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I don't understand why piston slap annoys people... it's a function of an all aluminum engine. Once all warmed up tolerances come in line and the slap goes away.

Plus, it's been prooven that it doesn't harm anything or decrease engine life in any way.
I love the way a high performance engine with loose tolerances sounds.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

With all due respect, some cars have loud slapping and some little to none at all...so there's got to be more to it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 questions remaining after many searches.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Great article, but I didn't see anything about a manifold cover to reduce noise.
They do have them.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by C-INRED
With all due respect, some cars have loud slapping and some little to none at all...so there's got to be more to it.
We have 4 C5s in the family: 2004 Z16 Z06, 1999 Vert, 1998 Coupe, and my 2001 Z06... they all make a little more engine noise when cold. It's the nature of the beast. Who cares.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Random84
Safety Car

I see this a lot in the office - your complaints have more to do with your personality than they do with the car.

Some people are laid back and just don't even notice things - other people obsess over the minutae of of life (ie retentive, type "A", most likely to be a grammar ****, whatever). You are very likely the latter.

Sure, there are car-to-car variables and I *understand* what you're saying. But I'm saying that you will likely continue to be the lowest common denominator in all of your failed relationships (people, cars, whatever). So if you continue to have such high standards, well that isn't BAD - but I would emplore you to look outside of the corvette as other posters have because this car will probably just not mesh well with your personality and what you want out of the car. (Want to sell a third one at a loss, do you?)

Best wishes,

Quick Reply: LS3 questions remaining after many searches.