C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor fins and hats

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotor fins and hats

Has anyone painted the fins and hats on the cross-drilled rotors? Someone suggested using a high temp BBQ paint. Does this procedure last and stop the rotor fins from dripping rusty water when you wash the vehicle? I'll probably order some Fast Etch to clean/coat the hubs while I'm at it. Any advice/suggestions are welcomed.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here is a DIY on rotor painting but we lost the pics. Some good discussion too:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1562685146
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
madmxnj
Racer

I'm getting a set of Baer Decelarotors, which are already zinc plated. I'm going to use VHT clear coat on the hats and fins for some long term durability. I had cad plated cross drilled rotors on my Z28 and eventually the fins and holes rust. I'll be painting the calipers and brackets and putting in hawk ceramic pads while I'm at it. I'll post a thread w/pics when I get it done.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 AM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmxnj
I'm getting a set of Baer Decelarotors, which are already zinc plated. I'm going to use VHT clear coat on the hats and fins for some long term durability. I had cad plated cross drilled rotors on my Z28 and eventually the fins and holes rust. I'll be painting the calipers and brackets and putting in hawk ceramic pads while I'm at it. I'll post a thread w/pics when I get it done.
I'm switching over to ceramic pads when I swap rotors. Did you paint the hats & fins on your Z28 with clear coat or anything? I'll be curious to see your new set up.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 AM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

Painted my hats. I used caliper spraypaint from Pep boys, that was last year and they still look excellent.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
dachy
Instructor

I've been doing mine once a year .... rust sometimes comes back and those spots are slightly visible on the edges / fins of the rotors, but you can even live with it if you don't want to do it every year, but like I said I'm doing mine every winter so I'm ready for the spring' first ride ... I just did mine @ 2 months ago :

1. Use wire brush wheel that attaches to drill to get the rust off and previous paint.
2. Apply rust remover that transforms rust into "base coat" especially the area - deep into the fins.
3. Wait 1 hour until rust remover is dry.
4. Cut the rotor cover from A3 sheet. (see pics)
5. Apply 2-3 coats of either Rust-oleum or Decorcolor 1200F/650C high-heat paint.
(Don't use "caliper paint w/ceramic", it won't resist the heat and will peal off after first drive)
PS: I will take some "after pics" of the rotors on my car, looks really good :-)

Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

looks good
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spinedoc77
Painted my hats. I used caliper spray paint , that was last year and they still look excellent.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Please tell me your not spray painting them in your family room. You must not be married!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Originally Posted by dachy
I've been doing mine once a year .... rust sometimes comes back and those spots are slightly visible on the edges / fins of the rotors, but you can even live with it if you don't want to do it every year, but like I said I'm doing mine every winter so I'm ready for the spring' first ride ... I just did mine @ 2 months ago :

1. Use wire brush wheel that attaches to drill to get the rust off and previous paint.
2. Apply rust remover that transforms rust into "base coat" especially the area - deep into the fins.
3. Wait 1 hour until rust remover is dry.
4. Cut the rotor cover from A3 sheet. (see pics)
5. Apply 2-3 coats of either Rust-oleum or Decorcolor 1200F/650C high-heat paint.
(Don't use "caliper paint w/ceramic", it won't resist the heat and will peal off after first drive)
PS: I will take some "after pics" of the rotors on my car, looks really good :-)

dachy,
The rotors look very good. What type of rust remover do you use? What is an A3 sheet - is that a sheet protector?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
dachy
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomiboy
Please tell me your not spray painting them in your family room. You must not be married!
I'm married ... and no, I didn't spray painted them in my house, I just brought the rotors in to measure them in order to cut "paper wheel cover"
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
dachy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmybobby
dachy,
The rotors look very good. What type of rust remover do you use? What is an A3 sheet - is that a sheet protector?
Sorry I don't remember the name of the rust remover, label came off of the bottle, but I'm sure any rust remover will do. I did not use "jelly" rust remover .. the one I use is dark brownish color and it's a liquid.

By A3 sheet I meant the size wich is: 420mm x 297mm .. and you can use any type of a paper, I used thicker one in order to stay in place while spray painting. Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
madmxnj
Racer

"Did you paint the hats & fins on your Z28 with clear coat or anything? I'll be curious to see your new set up. "

No, I didn't use anything on the Z. I figured the cadium plating would hold up. The Z was my daily driver for a ~5 years so I guess in all the weather the plating gave way. The vette is a summer only sunny day driver, so the zinc plating itself should hold up pretty good. I figure the VHT clear coat will just be another layer of protection. The VHT is good to some ridiculous temperature. Since I don't track the car I hope everything will hold up good. I plan on running painters tape over the rotors to keep paint off the firepath. I know some guys just spray away and let the pads chew off the paint, but that don't seem right to me. I don't know yet if I'll go through the trouble of cutting out holes for the cross drilled holes to get some clear in the holes. I don't think I'll have that much time on my hands...

I just ordered the Monterey Red base and midcoat that I'm going to use on the calipers. I bought some VHT Fire Red Metallic that I was hoping would be a good match, but its too light and orangish for the dark MR. I might do one or two quick base coats with it underneath the MR base coat, of course after a couple of coats of VHT primer. I'm going to do pics and post a DIY thread when I'm done.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I painted my hats with Duplicolor caliper paint from Pep Boys and just installed the rotors along with the GM ceramic pads this morning.

Last edited by Jimbeaux; 04-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,577 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Had mine zinc plated....
Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
I painted my hats with Duplicolor caliper paint from Pep Boys and just installed the rotors along with the GM ceramic pads this morning.

Jimbeaux,
Those look nice - what kind of rotors are those? Are the fins painted or zinc washed?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I painted mine three years ago with hi temp engine enamel and they look the same today.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmybobby
Jimbeaux,
Those look nice - what kind of rotors are those? Are the fins painted or zinc washed?
Thanks. They are the baer decelerator rotors... the fins are not painted. The rotors came zinc washed.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When my local zinc plater was unable to completely plate my Z06 rotors, I used high temp paint to coat the fins. Rotors were new so no rust to deal with and no problems a year+ later with rusty water/holes/etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor fins and hats

Quick Reply: Rotor fins and hats