C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing CABIN AIR FILTER (CHEAP)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
The cabin filter I bought from AAP does indeed have a charcoal inpregnated and has been working fine for about 8 months now. I know it seems too good to be true, but sometimes you can avoid the corvette tax.
Which one did you buy? I called Purolator...their part number C25623 is *not* a charcoal filter.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lander
Which one did you buy? I called Purolator...their part number C25623 is *not* a charcoal filter.
I'm not sure which one, but I am sure it was charcoal treated unless I bought a brand new dirty filter, which I doubt . The package stated it was a charcoal filter. I dont have the original box to tell if it was a purolator or not. I can check the filter when I go out to the car later and let ya know.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

According to the Advance Auto website, the Purolator C25623 is $9.48. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPFILTAMS____ The Purolator filter is NOT charcoal impregnated. And if "In comparing to the stock filter, in fact, they appeared to the naked eye to be identical" that would prove it is not a charcoal filter since the OEM filter is not. GM also sells a non-charcoal filter much less than $80. The simple paper filter from GM was still more expensive than any of the auto parts stores but it was reasonable. The WIX filter IS charcoal impregnated and costs about $20. It's hard for me to tell but I at least imagine there is better air with the charcoal filter when stuck in traffic. I can't say that I notice any difference in air quality when moving.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I orderd 2 from Advance last year when they had a "25% off all air filters" deal. 8 bucks each. It was June so maybe the sale is coming around again.

The Purolator box says on the back: MANY cabin filters have charcoal for filtering noxious gasses and odors. MOST filters are electrostacially charged to remove pollen, dust, smoke...

The front of the box only indicated electrostatically charged so I would assume no carbon. I guess if you don't have an odor problem then it really isn't needed.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
According to the Advance Auto website, the Purolator C25623 is $9.48. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPFILTAMS____ The Purolator filter is NOT charcoal impregnated. And if "In comparing to the stock filter, in fact, they appeared to the naked eye to be identical" that would prove it is not a charcoal filter since the OEM filter is not. GM also sells a non-charcoal filter much less than $80. The simple paper filter from GM was still more expensive than any of the auto parts stores but it was reasonable. The WIX filter IS charcoal impregnated and costs about $20. It's hard for me to tell but I at least imagine there is better air with the charcoal filter when stuck in traffic. I can't say that I notice any difference in air quality when moving.
Um...ok we've already covered all of that.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Yea, I just replaced mine with a Purolator for about 11 bucks. I've heard the GM one has charcoal in it but we run these cars 'open top' a lot so what's use. Good move. By the way, I was surprised at how dirty mine was at only 20,000 miles.
Cheaper is the way to go for me too. The top is down in my car about 90% of the time that I drive it so paying lots more money for a more expensive filter is a waste for me.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

i went to advance this morning to try and pick one up. none in stock and he says after looking on the computer he cannot even order them. WTF? anyone know anywhere else to get a replacement at a reasonable price?? NO WAY am i going to let the dealer bend me over for $80 or whatever. thanks in advance!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
jsc1648
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing here in Houston. I think somebody bought all the stock that purolator had and is planning on applying their own Corvette tax to them.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, who really needs a charcoal filter for this? Just vacuum the original from the top unless it is really dirty. I have my window open or my top down 90% of the time I am driving it.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
Seriously, who really needs a charcoal filter for this? Just vacuum the original from the top unless it is really dirty. I have my window open or my top down 90% of the time I am driving it.
i need a new one cause mine is an 05 making it 5 years old. i have vacuumed/beat dust out of it several times but that doesnt mean it doesnt need to be replaced. this tread was not started to debate the need to replace the filter but to give info on where to get one. if you dont have that info then move along. thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My local dealer wanted $43 for one last week.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fastskyline
i need a new one cause mine is an 05 making it 5 years old. i have vacuumed/beat dust out of it several times but that doesnt mean it doesnt need to be replaced. this tread was not started to debate the need to replace the filter but to give info on where to get one. if you dont have that info then move along. thanks!
A. I have an '05 also and it has worked. I'm saying to anyone that if you can't find one, or are too cheap to pay for one, try the vacuum.
B. I wasn't responding to your post in the first place - who asked you to be the hall monitor?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Gene Culley at gmpartshouse.com probably could have gotten them for at half price, what you got for $10.00 was a cheap paper filter, the GM and the high end WIX is a HEPA filter, they can filter out allergens and bacteria, it says you are a new member, what year is your car? why do you need to change filters already?
Ummm, wouldn't want to create a false sense of security here. You can hardly breathe through a HEPA mask, it filters down to 0.22 microns as well as I remember. 0.22 microns catch everything except virus and creates a tremendous resistance in the airflow. The fan would sound like a jet taking off if it had a HEPA filter. You would essentially have a sterile cabin if it truly were a HEPA filter. At best, the OEM could catch a little more finer material, but that remains to be seen. Need data.

I just want it to filter out the leaves and insects, hair and other annoyances. Purolator is fine with me, plus, the OEM had floppy sides and if you haven't replaced the filter before, you will destroy the first one with floppy sides - the Purolator has stiff sides and inserts easier.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilzer
Ummm, wouldn't want to create a false sense of security here. You can hardly breathe through a HEPA mask, it filters down to 0.22 microns as well as I remember. 0.22 microns catch everything except virus and creates a tremendous resistance in the airflow. The fan would sound like a jet taking off if it had a HEPA filter. You would essentially have a sterile cabin if it truly were a HEPA filter. At best, the OEM could catch a little more finer material, but that remains to be seen. Need data.

I just want it to filter out the leaves and insects, hair and other annoyances. Purolator is fine with me, plus, the OEM had floppy sides and if you haven't replaced the filter before, you will destroy the first one with floppy sides - the Purolator has stiff sides and inserts easier.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 PM
TxC5Vette
Advanced

I got mine from Napa Auto Parts. Charcoal impregnated for $19.95.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Wraped N Glass
Intermediate

Great post. I just ran outside as my Fiance looked at me like I was nuts. I will be getting one right away. I have a 2006 37,500 and it was very dirty.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Don't need no steeekin filter. Top off/or windows open.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing CABIN AIR FILTER (CHEAP)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I cut my out of a "3M filter that goes in my house unit" & once a wk i open the door where the filter is and spray some lysol in it with the Blower on, works good.I'm not cheap,just like to try different ways & still get the same results.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:15 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

The charcoal Purolator at $11.00 is the best buy
Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow2006Z
Went to the dealer yesterday and they wanted 79$ for new Cabin Air Filter. (HELL NO)

Went to Advance Auto Parts (AAP) website and found cabin air filter for 2006 z06 (part number C25623) for 9.48$

I called AAP and they told me it was 11.48$ - however, i told them that i seen this on their website and then they priced matched it.

So, I got it for 9.48$ + tax

I think I saved about 68$ with this move. I also read that a lot of folks on this forum use this AAP air filter and have no issues with fitment or anything.

just FYI in case you need new air filter - 9.48 at AAP.

Take care
I just bought a 2007 Z06 and popped open the cabin air filter box and pulled out the filter and it looks like it's been there since new.

Called my local AAP and while not in stock he ordered me 2 for $11.48 ea guess the price has gone up some.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 10-02-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing CABIN AIR FILTER (CHEAP)