Coupe vs. Convertible!?!? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back   >
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
sfalkowitz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfalkowitz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick NY
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

I am a 24 year old med student waiting for the day when I can afford my dream car...QUESTION: Which is better? == VERT vs. COUPE...Also, in the coupe, do you actually get a real open air experience when you take the top off?? Thanks for your replies...Hope to be saluting all of you from the road someday soon
sfalkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
SilverScorp
CF Senior Member
 
SilverScorp's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 3,490
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Either one is fine, I think the plan is to get a Corvette. I have a coupe and with the top off it's pretty much open air. I also like the fact that it can be a hardtop at any given moment with no wear and tear like the cloth tops on verts.
SilverScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
laconiajack
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Mooresville (Race City USA) NC
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a coupe and find the wind turbulence unbearable at any speed with the roof panel removed, so I no longer ever remove it.
laconiajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
RogerC6
CF Senior Member
 
RogerC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: Some where in Amerika, sadly watching how is turned into a Socialist Republic.
Posts: 2,816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverScorp View Post
Either one is fine, I think the plan is to get a Corvette. I have a coupe and with the top off it's pretty much open air. I also like the fact that it can be a hardtop at any given moment with no wear and tear like the cloth tops on verts.
RogerC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
VettedCandidate
CF Senior Member
 
VettedCandidate's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

S e a r c h i s y o u r f r i e n d .
This is a topic discussed often...please don't make us go thru this again!
VettedCandidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
KenHorse
Anti-Obama B4 it was cool
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui..... Liberalism is the philosophy of the terminally stupid
Posts: 75,201
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laconiajack View Post
I have a coupe and find the wind turbulence unbearable at any speed with the roof panel removed, so I no longer ever remove it.
Hasn't been my experience at all. Sure there is some turbulence but it is minimal IMHO, even at speeds > 60
KenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
spinalator
CF Senior Member
 
spinalator's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Hollywood FL
Posts: 1,313
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've had nothing but Verts, currently on #5 now. Yes there is turbulance with the top down, but that's what the open air experience is all about...
spinalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
marc2005c6
CF Senior Member
 
marc2005c6's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2009
Posts: 213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverScorp View Post
Either one is fine, I think the plan is to get a Corvette. I have a coupe and with the top off it's pretty much open air. I also like the fact that it can be a hardtop at any given moment with no wear and tear like the cloth tops on verts.
I agree 100%

Plus. I MAY BE WRONG, but I think that the convertible adds a little bit of weight as well?

Plus with the removable Targa top, it is a pretty much a convertible with the coupe sleek lines. In my own opinion, the coupe is 100x sexier.

Also, if you remove the top and have the windows down you get pretty much a full convertible experience. Plus you have covered storage behind you. It is light weight and easy to put on and off.

I would definitely be +1 for coupe.
marc2005c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
VettedCandidate
CF Senior Member
 
VettedCandidate's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laconiajack View Post
I have a coupe and find the wind turbulence unbearable at any speed with the roof panel removed, so I no longer ever remove it.
This tells you everything...the vert is quieter than the coupe in all situations...and it looks better. You can even use this avatar if you do get a vert!
VettedCandidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
fyreline
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
fyreline's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,971
Thanked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default

The reason they offer both coupe and convertible versions of the Corvette is because each offers its own unique experience. Both are excellent. I prefer the convertible myself, I've had many Corvettes and all have been convertibles. A coupe with the top off is not even close to the convertible experience, and certainly not (as some say) the "best of both worlds". It's either a convertible, or it isn't - and all the good or bad that goes with that. If you like open-air motoring, get the convertible. If that isn't high on your list of priorities, get the coupe. You can't go wrong either way.
fyreline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
VettedCandidate
CF Senior Member
 
VettedCandidate's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
The reason they offer both coupe and convertible versions of the Corvette is because each offers its own unique experience. Both are excellent. I prefer the convertible myself, I've had many Corvettes and all have been convertibles. A coupe with the top off is not even close to the convertible experience, and certainly not (as some say) the "best of both worlds". It's either a convertible, or it isn't - and all the good or bad that goes with that. If you like open-air motoring, get the convertible. If that isn't high on your list of priorities, get the coupe. You can't go wrong either way.
I have to disagree. The coupe is really loud with the top on or off. TEST DRIVE BOTH with tops on and off. You will see what I mean.
VettedCandidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
mpuzach
CF Senior Member
 
mpuzach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: La Center WA
Posts: 15,380
Thanked 301 Times in 188 Posts
Default

I just drove home from work (20 miles on the freeway) topless in my coupe and it was great. I have no regrets for having bought a coupe as my first Corvette although sometimes I feel like I'm the world's only "car guy" who has never owned a convertible.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
sfalkowitz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfalkowitz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick NY
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

much apologies for the redundancy of the thread...i have only driven 1 convertible and it was fantastic but i must say the lines of the coupe + the option of having the open air + ~$10,000 less is a draw at least for now...but we will see how i feel once i actually make a salary!!! thanks guys!!
sfalkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
marc2005c6
CF Senior Member
 
marc2005c6's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2009
Posts: 213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuzach View Post
I just drove home from work (20 miles on the freeway) topless in my coupe and it was great. I have no regrets for having bought a coupe as my first Corvette although sometimes I feel like I'm the world's only "car guy" who has never owned a convertible.
Couldnt have said it better.

Haha!

I just got mine last friday and i Love it. I do agree it gets kind of loud, I have to really "Hide" if the phone rings and the top is down!

<3 corvette regardless
marc2005c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
johnodrake
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
johnodrake's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 34,539
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I have had 2 T Tops, One Targa and One Vert Corvette - loved them all.

If you want to track the car - get a coupe.
johnodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 39,009
Thanked 249 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2005c6 View Post
I agree 100%

Plus. I MAY BE WRONG, but I think that the convertible adds a little bit of weight as well?

Plus with the removable Targa top, it is a pretty much a convertible with the coupe sleek lines. In my own opinion, the coupe is 100x sexier.

Also, if you remove the top and have the windows down you get pretty much a full convertible experience. Plus you have covered storage behind you. It is light weight and easy to put on and off.

I would definitely be +1 for coupe.
You are wrong, but I'll be gentle. It adds 26 lbs. because it was designed in to be a convertible first.

As to coupe or convertible, having owned 2 Corvette coupes of older vintage, I chose a convertible. There is a very, very large difference and I enjoy this more. But it is a choice that you will have to make. Just remember: a Corvette coupe is not a bad choice, just a different one.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
SilverScorp
CF Senior Member
 
SilverScorp's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 3,490
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I have never been bothered buy any perceived turbulance, but some of my clubmembers have mentioned it so it must be person-specific.

I do want to add that Coupes have many options for the roof.

1.) solid roof = vert with top up but quieter
2.) Transparent roof (raining or night, or cold but can still see the sky)
3.) No roof

When the top is up on a vert, you see nothing. I can get sun in my car when its 35 degrees outside and thats a bonus IMO. But yeah, people are passionate about their options.
SilverScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
marc2005c6
CF Senior Member
 
marc2005c6's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2009
Posts: 213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
You are wrong, but I'll be gentle. It adds 26 lbs. because it was designed in to be a convertible first.

As to coupe or convertible, having owned 2 Corvette coupes of older vintage, I chose a convertible. There is a very, very large difference and I enjoy this more. But it is a choice that you will have to make. Just remember: a Corvette coupe is not a bad choice, just a different one.


Gentle is nice...
haha! Have always been into vettes, never been so educated about them though!

Thanks for the info.
marc2005c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
laconiajack
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Mooresville (Race City USA) NC
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The coupe does offer twice the storage room as the convertible and is perhaps more rigid (in spite of claims to the contrary) than the convertible, and offers more security, lower maintenance and less leakage problems than the convertible. But lets face it, the convertible is a special vehicle that, although it costs considerably more than the coupe, is great if you live in an area that has warm, balmy nights. Where I live in New England the nights are usually too cool to really enjoy top down driving. Another consideration is that many women folk don't appreciate having their hair blown about so they look unkept.
laconiajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
1971 LS5 DROPTOP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I did a poll with an office full of women and it was the convertible all the way. Something about dropping that top that turns them on.
1971 LS5 DROPTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Convertable vs. coupe. texasbob C5 General 2 02-29-2016 08:19 AM
    Coupe speakers vs. convertible speakers LeakingOil C4 Tech/Performance 3 08-31-2015 07:23 PM
    Coupe vs Convertible Feel smbsocal C7 General Discussion 48 12-22-2014 09:23 AM
    C6 vs m3 ? vitalick17 C6 Corvette General Discussion 103 03-19-2010 08:39 PM
    C6 road noise Vs C5 road noise? gkc501 C6 Corvette General Discussion 10 08-21-2007 10:22 PM


    Tags
    convertible, corvette, corvettecoupevsconvertible, coupe, maintenance, vs

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.