C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 DSV wheel/NAV/CarSkinz center console>>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 06 DSV wheel/NAV/CarSkinz center console>>>

Well, my 'Spring 2009' projects are nearing completion...took longer than expected (just gathering parts, getting custom items done etc), but was not in a rush and wanted all to be just right.

I decided to convert my 2005 C6 interior a bit...DSV had already (back in 2006) done a two tone wheel for me and a few other items too (gear shift ****/boot, e brake handle/boot & center console lid)

First, after seeing the DSV 06+ D wheel I was sold..of course converting the wheel over adds $$ and replacing the steering column 'clock spring' is a PIA (I do not like taking dash parts off etc.), but now that the conversion is done, love the look and more importantly the feel...major improvement.

While I was at it, I purchased a 2008 NAV unit from one of the forum members (wakeskateordie) (I had to Bose, but not the NAV head) thus requiring removal of the center console...well since that had to be done decided to get the CF leather edged (in Steel Gray to match interior) CarSkinz center console. Also, since console was out decided on the MGW short shifter (replacing the B&M unit I installed about 3 years ago)...OK since was this deep into things got the Sun Set Orange Dreams NAV commander (DIC version) which allows you to input new destinations/way points while on the move (OEM set up does not allow this...must be stopped before you can input new destinations etc.)

Anyway, this is the 'new' look...I now understand why folks like the NAV unit...when in 'source' mode very easy to use for FM and XM...nice set up. The new center console greater enhances the look and feel of the interior.... IMO.

One 'challenge' when installing the NAV unit (with the Bose radio is a direct 'plug and play') is the placement of the NAV antenna... can not be installed in the OEM site without taking the dash out ...so in reading about this issue some have placed (using double sided tape) on the top of the middle AC duct...my concern was the heat and cold cycle of the HVAC would weaken the tape so I add the tie wrap around the entire duct work and thus mechanically securing the antenna>>

This location works great...no problem with signal strength etc.

There were a lot of folks that helped in this project (whether they knew that of not)... Ben at Sun Set Orange Dreams; Gerry at DSV; Chris at CarSkniz; Colton at Corvette Recycling; Talon90/TheKomoman for their technical know how on NAV install and to the BCM to NAV reprogram (funny...went to a well known Chev dealership to have the NAV anti theft feature cleared and for the NAV to be "reprogrammed/linked" to the my C6's BCM... they felt it could not be done, but with Talon90/TheKomoman posts in hand convinced them otherwise... well 20 minutes later (using a Tech II tool) tech came back with "I'll be damned...it works!). Also, anyone thinking of doing a NAV install this is a great site with a detailed DIY

http://www.skyhighphotos.smugmug.com...70789101_3anny

Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 05-31-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very nice, Michael! looks great and good writeup. you went with the round wheel and not the "D" wheel, right?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Thanks... and it is the 'D' wheel>>

Michael
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Wow! Outstanding work all around Michael. Everything looks fantastic. Happy to help. Let me know if you have any questions on the use of the navigation radio. It is a great unit but not all that easy to learn. I'm sure you've seen the tutorial I did up in the sticky threads.

Paul
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Big improvement! I loathe my '05 steering wheel. I'll be looking to trade to a 2010 just for the new wheel (and NPP exhaust)!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Love the steering wheel! Very sweet.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Paul...
Your tutorial is THE NAV bible that I am digesting every day... great write ups and is helping soooooo much in understanding the NAV system.

Ask you something... I am assuming unless you have the OnStar hardware in the car, the voice recognition mode will not function (I do NOT have OnStar, but could not decide if a mic was installed just like the FSS wiring/plug was there even though I did not order the NAV originally)???

Michael
Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Looks great - very nicely done. I'll be replacing my 2005's wheel with one by DSV as well and am considering getting the 2006 version. I know that when installing a 2006 wheel in a 2005 Corvette there's the "clock spring" issue but I don't know exactly what that means or what do do about it. Can you provide or point me to more info? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Oh! Oh, I need to polish up my early-morning eyeballs a little better! Yes, it IS the "D" wheel.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Paul...
Your tutorial is THE NAV bible that I am digesting every day... great write ups and is helping soooooo much in understanding the NAV system.

Ask you something... I am assuming unless you have the OnStar hardware in the car, the voice recognition mode will not function (I do NOT have OnStar, but could not decide if a mic was installed just like the FSS wiring/plug was there even though I did not order the NAV originally)???

Michael
Michael,

The microphone is used by the Onstar system. However, in 2005 Onstar was an option and it would have been possible to get a 1SB (3LT) car with navigation using the voice recognition system microphone but not Onstar. It would be located on the drivers side A pillar near the top on the side facing the windshield.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

The 'clock spring' in GM speak is called a 'COIL KIT' PN 19133742 and looks like this when removed (this is the one that came in the car and the reason you have to replace is the air bag connectors (the two yellow ones on the left front) for the 06 style wheel are different config than the ones on the 05 style wheel>>

Once you remove the steering wheel this is what you would see (red > CLOCK SPRING) (don't go on this picture...I pirated this pic from DSV when Gerry gutted the interior of his C6)

To replace the clock spring you do need to pop loose the instrument bezel (surrounds the instrument panel and contains the HUD and DIC controls) and then remove the two halves of the steering column cover (the yellow arrow points to the seam...halves just pop apart and snap back together)... referencing the first pic again...the wire bundle/connector on the right side rear is what has to be snaked down the steering column then to the connector which is buried above the cover under the drivers side dash. None of this work is difficult just tedious and tight spaces. Unless you have a special tool to remove the clock spring retainer clip that IS A PIA to get off...this clip is copper in appearance and surrounds the steering wheel shaft and clips into place the clock spring... Just as a precaution I would order with the 06 clock spring that clip...if you break removing it you are SOL. The coil kit comes with instructions... just follow the first one which is for a new install... the part B, C & D portions are for a REinstall protocol.

Remember on air bag removal and install...disconnect both + and - terminals from battery and once done let sit for couple minutes (powers down the SIR system)... as someone said air bags are not "land mines" but with that said do not take them likely and follow power down protocols exactly (aka do not simply remove the main fuse etc)

Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 05-31-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Paul...
Thanks and just checked... no microphone. I will try and live without

Michael
Old 05-31-2009, 12:17 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Thanks very much for your excellent instructions, Michael. Out of curiosity, how long did the swap take to perform? Also, how did you learn how to do it? I'm wondering if this is simply too big for a novice like me to tackle. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

No that is some surgery you did and really like how it all turned out, especially changing over to the 08+ CF look
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Thanks very much for your excellent instructions, Michael. Out of curiosity, how long did the swap take to perform? Also, how did you learn how to do it? I'm wondering if this is simply too big for a novice like me to tackle. Thanks.
For doing the first time of anything I go very slow and also take pictures, so my time to do would be around 3 hours. Once you have done this procedure I would say couple hours. Learn issue... talking to folks, reading the forum posts, looking at sites that post pictures of instructions for installing their products and studying the shop manuals... then rest is just watching carefully what you do...here is an example of using pics from a product install manual...credit to Ben at Sun Set Orange Dream (instructs are from the NAV Commander install)... what is nice these instructions were helpful to understand how to remove the bezel>>

Can you do? If you have never removed the airbag module, snap apart/screwed off/removed clips from a dash, don't have a reasonable selection of tools and consider yourself "novice" I would say 'no' unless you have someone there who is experienced and help you out. Just my opinion... Of course I would be glad to answer questions/provide suggestions etc.
Michael

Get notified of new replies

To 06 DSV wheel/NAV/CarSkinz center console>>>

Quick Reply: 06 DSV wheel/NAV/CarSkinz center console>>>