C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you program a key fob???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I had FOB hell today too. Bought new FOB 1...I wanted completely new programming.

Here's what to remember...that caused me grief when programming METHOD 2 - the complete new programming mode:

1. ALL transmitter FOBS to be far away from car. That means none in the slot and none in cup holder.

1. Turn key in trunk 5 times as specified everywhere. BUT, be sure to turn key from all the way counterclockwise to all the way clockwise. Perhaps the electrical contacts are on the counterclockwise turn too...So, remember turn key all the way to the LEFT then all the way to the RIGHT...repeat 5 times quickly.

2. After the 30 minute procedure - and all the FOBS are erased, and DIC says READY FOR FOB 1 - here you dont press the ACC button. Leave FOB 1 in the slot and just wait. This is the one step where you DON'T press ACC button.

3. After display READY FOR FOB 1 - takes about 15 seconds to program the FOB.

4. LAST STEP!!! After all is done, CLICK UNLOCK with the FOB or all is lost.

Last edited by joliett; 08-14-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Cubusinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
I had FOB hell today too. Bought new FOB 1...I wanted completely new programming.

Here's what to remember...that caused me grief when programming METHOD 2 - the complete new programming mode:

1. ALL transmitter FOBS to be far away from car. That means none in the slot and none in cup holder.

1. Turn key in trunk 5 times as specified everywhere. BUT, be sure to turn key from all the way counterclockwise to all the way clockwise. Perhaps the electrical contacts are on the counterclockwise turn too...So, remember turn key all the way to the LEFT then all the way to the RIGHT...repeat 5 times quickly.

2. After the 30 minute procedure - and all the FOBS are erased, and DIC says READY FOR FOB 1 - here you dont press the ACC button. Leave FOB 1 in the slot and just wait. This is the one step where you DON'T press ACC button.

3. Now we wait...as I'm in the second 10 minute cycle.

I had to re-program my fobs cuz the dealer took the easy way and programmed #2 as #3.. I went through the whole procedure. 30 minutes later I got the message to put fob one in the slot.. 30 seconds after that I got the message to put fob 2 in the slot.. 30 seconds after that I was done.. Took the fobs into the car with me and tried to start the Vette.. The message on the DIC says "NO FOB DETECTED"
I can't believe this crap.. I followed the instructions to the letter!
Back to square one.. I go through the whole shebang once again..
I take #1 fob into the car and try to start.. Same damn message "NO FOB DETECTED"!! I am gettin a little bent at this stage.. I went from having a #1 and #3 fob to none that seem to work.. I have visions of calling to have my new ride towed to the dealer for a job that many here have said was childs play.. I can't imagine what the hell I did wrong. Well after a half hour of beatin my mind about it.. I go back out to the Vette.. I know I can fix this.. Well, I was going to start all over when I notice that the fobs seem to unlock the doors.. That doesn't seem right.. Why would it do the locks but not start? I try to start and get the "nofobdetected..." WTF.. Looking in the mirror I notice.....!!
In any of the instructions.. either on line or in the owners manual when detailing the programming of the FOBS does it state Close the Damn Hatch!! Once I closed the hatch everything worked as advertised.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default quick turns

Reading the posts about fob programming got me inspired to program my backup.

I tried once before with no luck.

I could not get the DIC message to come up.

The part about turn key 5 times in 5 seconds is an understatement.

I got so pissed at the key that I and turned 5 times as quick as humanly possible. Shazam! DIC message and less than 1 minute later I was done!

So...turn key really fast and
Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubusinc
I had to re-program my fobs cuz the dealer took the easy way and programmed #2 as #3.. I went through the whole procedure. 30 minutes later I got the message to put fob one in the slot.. 30 seconds after that I got the message to put fob 2 in the slot.. 30 seconds after that I was done.. Took the fobs into the car with me and tried to start the Vette.. The message on the DIC says "NO FOB DETECTED"
I can't believe this crap.. I followed the instructions to the letter!
Back to square one.. I go through the whole shebang once again..
I take #1 fob into the car and try to start.. Same damn message "NO FOB DETECTED"!! I am gettin a little bent at this stage.. I went from having a #1 and #3 fob to none that seem to work.. I have visions of calling to have my new ride towed to the dealer for a job that many here have said was childs play.. I can't imagine what the hell I did wrong. Well after a half hour of beatin my mind about it.. I go back out to the Vette.. I know I can fix this.. Well, I was going to start all over when I notice that the fobs seem to unlock the doors.. That doesn't seem right.. Why would it do the locks but not start? I try to start and get the "nofobdetected..." WTF.. Looking in the mirror I notice.....!!
In any of the instructions.. either on line or in the owners manual when detailing the programming of the FOBS does it state Close the Damn Hatch!! Once I closed the hatch everything worked as advertised.
Interesting...never heard of that making any difference....wow! The instructions that I wrote do say that you may close the door and the trunk while waiting for the 10 minute periods, so that the interior lights go off...but not for this reason, just for the lights,....maybe I'll change them to require closing the trunk. Glad it worked out OK!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vetteflyer05
Reading the posts about fob programming got me inspired to program my backup.

I tried once before with no luck.

I could not get the DIC message to come up.

The part about turn key 5 times in 5 seconds is an understatement.

I got so pissed at the key that I and turned 5 times as quick as humanly possible. Shazam! DIC message and less than 1 minute later I was done!

So...turn key really fast and
Also, you may continue to turn the key until the DIC comes on....in other words, it doesn't require the FIRST 5 turns, just any 5...so if you just keep turning, it may be that turns # 8 thru 12 are the ones that kick it over. Glad it worked out for you also!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

VERY IMPORTANT -

LAST STEP!!! After all is done, CLICK UNLOCK with the FOB or all is lost.

CCLIVE...It wasnt the trunk open or closed, it was the fact that you inadvertantly clicked the FOB UNLOCK button which correctly finalized the FOB's program.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
stevette17
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this is an old thread but alot of good info.

I wanna program just fob 1 cause i lost it, is there a way just to program fob1 or do i have to do fob 2 also?

thx
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stevette17
i know this is an old thread but alot of good info.

I wanna program just fob 1 cause i lost it, is there a way just to program fob1 or do i have to do fob 2 also?

thx
Unless you just want to add a third or fourth fob, it's an all or nothing deal. I have added to the instructions since this old thread, so look here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

Use the long procedure but follow the instructions carefully so that you know that the slot is working before you blow away all current fobs.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Amy Bruce Lindemann
1st Gear

SUCCESS!!!

Completely deleting all existing fobs and adding #1 and #2 was not very difficult at all. Thank you for posting the long version of this procedure as it was very helpful.

The only tip that I recommend, do not close the trunk and driver door while you are waiting for your three 10-minute countdowns. When I re-opened the trunk (to open the car door, since the fob could not be used), the security alarm went off. I was able to turn it off by pulling the door release in the trunk, but it was a little embarrassing until I did.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So while we are at it....I bought a third transmitter and it has a blank key.....Not one, not two, but three different dealers did not have an answer as to cutting the key to match the other two.....so I guess it is to a locksmith I go.....or any suggestions?.....frankly I am flabergasted that a dealer cannot do this in house....but a good thread and great info
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
rafa_c6
Instructor

I have a 2007 c6 and my fob isn't being recognized I have to open the truck then the door and put the fob in the glove box in order to turn it on and stop the alarm. I just ordered two new fobs #1 and #2. I'm trying to program them, but as I do the 5 key turns waiting for the options on the dic nothing pops up. Any help
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Did you see this sticky title?

"NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?"

Think maybe that's related to your problem?

Here's a link to that thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html
Old 10-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Leicajh
Heel & Toe

Default Car manual

Originally Posted by cclive
You can do it yourself. The short procedure will add it to your car and it will probably end up being Fob # 3....or you can do the long procedure, erase all and then program the two that you have as #1 and #2. Here are the two procedures :

C6 Fob, Simple programming instructions….use these when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system.

1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

C6 Fob Programming, long version to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. To continue with programming:
7. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
8. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
9. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
10. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side.
11. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
12. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Keep in mind that somewhere out there is a fob that is still programmed to your car...unless you know that is has been destroyed...so only the long procedure will invalidate that one and make absolutely sure that the two that you have now are the only ones that will work on your car.
The manual doesn't say to remove all fobs. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I guess some people didn't get an owners manual with their car and don't know how to download one off the Internet. Btw: this thread is 6 years old.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:53 PM
jcarter29072
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worked AWESOME !!! THANK YOU !!!!!

Worked AWESOME !!! THANK YOU !!!!! 9/16/16

Originally Posted by cclive
You can do it yourself. The short procedure will add it to your car and it will probably end up being Fob # 3....or you can do the long procedure, erase all and then program the two that you have as #1 and #2. Here are the two procedures :

C6 Fob, Simple programming instructions….use these when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system.

1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

C6 Fob Programming, long version to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

1. Car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. To continue with programming:
7. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
8. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
9. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
10. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side.
11. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
12. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Keep in mind that somewhere out there is a fob that is still programmed to your car...unless you know that is has been destroyed...so only the long procedure will invalidate that one and make absolutely sure that the two that you have now are the only ones that will work on your car.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Glad it worked for you....here's the latest, updated info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 PM
BrknWndC6
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

YOUTUBE YOUTUBE YOUTUBE has great easy to follow video

Get notified of new replies

To How do you program a key fob???

Old 07-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Brusok
Cruising

Old Thread , but the problem is new to me. I have tried to add an additional fob #3 all aftrenoon. I have turned the key 5 times , 10 x 15x 20 x 30 x to no avail. The DIC stays blank. Manual transmission in rev . I have opened the trunk with the dash button , the key nothing matters . I've read the thread over and over , looked at Youtubes . I give up.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Brusok
Old Thread , but the problem is new to me. I have tried to add an additional fob #3 all aftrenoon. I have turned the key 5 times , 10 x 15x 20 x 30 x to no avail. The DIC stays blank. Manual transmission in rev . I have opened the trunk with the dash button , the key nothing matters . I've read the thread over and over , looked at Youtubes . I give up.
It's usually expensive, but a Chevy dealer can program the fob for you.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:25 PM
Brusok
Cruising

I found another thread in which the owner disconnected the trunk key switch and entered the 5 "key turns" by shorting the leads on the female end of the connector. Worked 1st time. It required unfastening and pushing back the carpet in the trunk and unplugging the key switch. But thank you Vette DD for your quick response.

Quick Reply: How do you program a key fob???