C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM, ONSTAR, VETTE OPTIONS, lets hear opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
leatherneck21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM, ONSTAR, VETTE OPTIONS, lets hear opinions

I'm a Marine and I deploy alot. I will not renew my subscription to XM because when I deploy, they will not suspend my account so I don't have to pay for it when I'm gone. I have to shut it off, then when I come home I have to pay the activation fee again to turn it back on!

OnStar said they would suspend an account for 6 months so I could deal with that, even though we are usually gone 8 months.

I have the NAV option and to be honest, I hate it. I would rather pull out a map. Next Vette I get will not have the nav. I just bought an 09 Sierra and it has the blue tooth. Amazing! I will have to get it on my next vette along with the MP3 option. I love the Z51 option and the chrome rims that came with the car also. I don't think I'd get dual roof's again because the solid red roof has been in storage since I bought the car. I love the transparent roof.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm getting ready to be re-united with my baby after a long stay here in glorious Afghanistan.

I have the XM option but hated the service. My wife's Nitro has the Sirius option and I absolutely love it. So, short of replacing the head unit is there a way to get sirius with the existing system inthe vette? I havent' heard too much about the sirius/xm merger so I'm kinda in the dark on this one.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 AM
leatherneck21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!! I was in the 'stan' for 8 months! Let me do some research on your question and get back to you....

Semper Fi!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by leatherneck21
Congrats!! I was in the 'stan' for 8 months! Let me do some research on your question and get back to you....

Semper Fi!
thanks... it's hard enough to get the forum to load. Even worse getting the search function or anything related to google to work.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
I'm getting ready to be re-united with my baby after a long stay here in glorious Afghanistan.

I have the XM option but hated the service. My wife's Nitro has the Sirius option and I absolutely love it. So, short of replacing the head unit is there a way to get sirius with the existing system inthe vette? I havent' heard too much about the sirius/xm merger so I'm kinda in the dark on this one.
As far as XM/Sirius They are the same company, with different hardware at this point. Most of the channels are the exact same now, just different channel numbers on each service. There are a few exclusive stations to each (sports stations, Oprah, Howard Stern), but you can get most of those for a 2-4 $$ per month by getting the "best of XM package" (for Siruis) or the "best of Sirius" package for XM. So, keep your XM hardward, resubscribe, and you'll get the same content your wife has, but on different channels.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should read the Nav manual. Listen to talon90 and read his sticky. You will love the Nav. Remember not as easy to operate as a Garmin but offers so much more.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

XM is so fickel, when my son deployed to Iraq they suspended his service and when he got back (after 7 months) they re-activated his account w/o charging him the activation fee.

But he did not speak to the 1-800 rep, he asked to speak with a supervisor (who has to power to make such decisions).

Good luck and safe travels.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Texan07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on the forums where you can replace the XM module with a Sirius module, and it works fine, not sure how to post a link to a thread are I would, Hope this helps.
And thanks for serving our country and Protecting Our Freedom.

Get notified of new replies

To XM, ONSTAR, VETTE OPTIONS, lets hear opinions

Quick Reply: XM, ONSTAR, VETTE OPTIONS, lets hear opinions