C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertable top guide string breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
mithrander
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Convertable top guide string breaking

Has anyone had any issues with the convoluted string that keeps the flaps in place on the vert top. This is the 3rd time I will be taking it back to the dealer for warranty repair as my stirng keeps breaking for some reason.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If the strings are not routed correctly, that can happen. I would look carefully at the other side and follow that routing. Assuming of course that the other side is working fine.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Mine broke on the driver side adjacent to one of the hinge points....not sure if it got caught in the hinge or what. Repaired it myself with a double ended wire connector (squeeze type). Haven't checked it lately, but your post reminded me to do that.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
mithrander
Instructor

Actually the dealer sent it out to a specialty shop which supposedly ordered a new string kit from GM and also the routing instructions. Still not sure why it is breaking but was wondering if anyone else has had multiple failures???
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mithrander
Actually the dealer sent it out to a specialty shop which supposedly ordered a new string kit from GM and also the routing instructions. Still not sure why it is breaking but was wondering if anyone else has had multiple failures???
I have had my top liner replaced twice. Once was for the string breaking. I don't think there is such a thing as a "string kit". They have to replace the entire liner. Maybe the trim shop your dealer sent it to did some creative work to repair the broken string and it didn't work right?? My vette is now out of warranty and the GMPP extended warranty specifically says it does not cover convertible tops, so the next one is probably on me. I know it's coming with all the issues you see on the forum.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
mithrander
Instructor

Originally Posted by richhoff
I have had my top liner replaced twice. Once was for the string breaking. I don't think there is such a thing as a "string kit". They have to replace the entire liner. Maybe the trim shop your dealer sent it to did some creative work to repair the broken string and it didn't work right?? My vette is now out of warranty and the GMPP extended warranty specifically says it does not cover convertible tops, so the next one is probably on me. I know it's coming with all the issues you see on the forum.
No I believe you are right they did order and install the whole liner. Luckily I still have some warranty left.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertable top guide string breaking

Quick Reply: Convertable top guide string breaking