C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 2006 keyless key 2 not option programmable

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 2006 keyless key 2 not option programmable

C6 2006 Keyless key 1 works find and is option programmable. Key 2 does opens and lock doors but is not recognized for DIC option programming. Any help?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Weak battery? Try putting it in the slot in the glovebox.

Also...be sure fob 1 is not anywhere near the car when you program fob 2.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Thats because its not really #2, but rather #3 or #4. (3 and 4 can't be used for setting options).

If you only have 2 fobs, I'll bet that the original #2 was lost, and then replaced using the "short" learning method (making it fob #3).

Cheers,
Kent

PS: you can erase all known fobs, and then reprogram your existing two fobs as #1 and #2. The process takes a while... you can find it in your owners manual, and it also has been documented here on the forum numerous times -- a quick search will find it. Unfortunately, you can't just program your existing #3 as number #2 -- you have to do a reset all.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-03-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

just tried inserting key in glove slot: Message on DIC is NO FOB PRESENT

As to Kent's suggestion, I bought car new, definately key 2.

Additional info, key did work and displayed as #2 several weeks ago, The only thing that may have caused this is key was locked in car and used mechanical key to open hatch, alarm went off. does this mean anything?

Last edited by myguyo; 06-03-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by myguyo
just tried inserting key in glove slot: Message on DIC is NO FOB PRESENT

As to Kent's suggestion, I bought car new, definately key 2.

Additional info, key did work and displayed as #2 several weeks ago, The only thing that may have caused this is key was locked in car and used mechanical key to open hatch, alarm went off. does this mean anything?
Very strange... if it works to open the doors, then putting it in the glovebox slot should definitely work. Your incident with locking it in the car and setting off the alarm should have no effect on the current operation of the fob.

Try changing the Fob's battery (as previously suggested by another member)... if that doesn't work, try disconnecting the car's battery for 10 min, reconnecting, and retrying the fob.

If that doesn't work, a full keyless entry reset and fob relearn would be next on my list. If you're not comfortable with that, then a dealer visit might be in order.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

Just discovered another confusing fact. I took #1 key and put itin glove slot and got the same response. NO FOB. This key is good and works including programming. At this point I guess I will try your suggestions
Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just discovered another confusing fact. I took #1 key and put itin glove slot and got the same response. NO FOB. This key is good and works including programming. At this point I guess I will try your suggestions

Make sure you put it in the slot with the contacts facing the passenger door....
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vetehead
Make sure you put it in the slot with the contacts facing the passenger door....
I'm guessing you meant for the fob buttons to be facing the passenger door.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

A word of caution: Be careful about doing a full reprogram of all FOBs.
If, as you state the reader does not recognize ANY FOBS then the reader could be defective. When you do a full reprogram the memory of ALL FOBs is wiped clean from the car and then the defective reader will not be able to relearn the FOBs. As someone else so eloquently put it this will result in you having in your possession a full scale non working die cast model of a C6 in your garage.
Your only option then is having it towed to a dealer. I know as this happened to me.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm not clear on the situation....if the DIC says "no Fob" then am I right that you cannot start the car now??
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

Let me try and summarize the complete situation. Key 1 and 2 lock & unlock the doors/hatch and start the car. Key 1 is option programmable and is 100% functional. Key 2 in NOT option programmable therefore does not display a assigned number. If either key is placed in the glove socket, IN THE PROPER orientatiion, NO FOB is displayed and car does not start. Also new batteries were installed, no change.
I suspect two problems not 1, the glove reader and a unrecogized #2 key.

Last edited by myguyo; 06-04-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Let me try and summarize the complete situation. Key 1 and 2 lock & unlock the doors/hatch and start the car. Key 1 is option programmable and is 100% functional. Key 2 in NOT option programmable therefore does not display a assigned number. If either key is placed in the glove socket, IN THE PROPER orientatiion, NO FOB is displayed and car does not start. Also new batteries were installed, no change.
I suspect two problems not 1, the glove reader and a unrecogized #2 key.
Yes, I think you're correct. The unrecognized "key" 2 is not programmed as fob #2. Regardless of what number is inscribed on the back of the fob, it is programmed as #3 or #4, with no memory options.

Since the slot in the glovebox is not working, you need to take the car to the dealer and get them to fix that problem.

While you're there, get them to do whatever they need to do to reprogram the fob that you think is #2 to really be fob #2. They should know how to do that.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I would tentatively agree. FacadeC6 and I have been doing some thinking about the fob/slot system and we think that there are a certain number of people out there who have glovebox slots that do not work, but are not aware of it. I addressed a similar problem a while back having to do with the metal key...some have never used it and so do not know if it works or not. A bad time to find this out would be in the middle of the night in an airport parking lot. We will be putting out a thread on this soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

For the dealer, the easy way out will be to plug in their Tech II machine and force the programming....but you want to make sure that your glovebox slot is working properly also, as you want the programming system to be functioning so that at some time in the future, you can program a new fob or whatever. You do not want to be dependent on a dealer to always do this. The car and the owner should be able to also, just as it says in the manual.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys

Last edited by myguyo; 06-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
myguyo
Heel & Toe

Here hopefully is my final update.

Just got car back from dealer, glovebox reader now works but their fix didn't register with me. They said the car battery voltage was a little low. So they changed the battery which fixed the reader. I believe Kent was right and when they took out the battery to replace it the computers reset fixing the problem.
If a little low battery voltage can cause this I pity cold weather owners. (LIKE ME)

As for key #2, still doesn't allow option programming, I called them and we will try again on Monday. Assume they forgot or didn't understand the problem.

I tried to program #2 as a unknown key, per the manual I opened the hatch then I turned the latch key 5 times in 5 second, I was then suppose to get a DIC mssage saying enter key #. The DIC doen't even come on. I give up this is like smashing your knuckles on a exhaust manifold, pure frustration

Get notified of new replies

To C6 2006 keyless key 2 not option programmable

Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

As for key #2, still doesn't allow option programming, I called them and we will try again on Monday. Assume they forgot or didn't understand the problem.
Glad you got the slot in the glove compartment fixed.

When you go back to the dealer to get the fob reprogrammed, be sure they understand that it MUST be programmed as a no. 2 fob so it will have the memory options. Explain to them why it MUST be programmed as a no. 2 fob.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

I had this same problem... car wouldn't go into fob learn mode (no message on DIC after 5 key turns). Here's what works for me:

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

Keep us posted on your results...

Cheers,
Kent
Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
KVA_Dave
Instructor

Just purchased a 2006 C6 and hope I never have this problem. I think I might mess it up worse trying to get it fixed. GL

Quick Reply: C6 2006 keyless key 2 not option programmable