C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay Bar lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
NiborGnissom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar lifespan

OK.............just getting ready to rip into the Zaino Kit.......instructions for the Claybar are "as an area becomes dirty, roll the clay over on itself and kneed back into a patty and continue"..............when does the Claybar get too built up with particles and could start etching the surface rather than removing contaminants..........I dont mean to be a worry wart, I just like my paint!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:30 PM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just read about a technique that calls for cutting the clay bar up into smaller pieces and flattening them out to about the size of a silver dollar. You use each of the smaller pieces until they get dirty and then throw them out. The reasoning behind this was that if you keep rolling the bigger clay bar over eventually the dirt will catch up with you and you will get scratches. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:24 PM
NiborGnissom
Instructor

Damn great info and I thank you for that my friend. What is a clay bar kit cost and how often do we do it, maybe twice a year. Scratching the paint in several places will be very costly..............hair transplant............due to us pulling our hair out after torturing a nice paint job.
Thank again
Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastter
I just read about a technique that calls for cutting the clay bar up into smaller pieces and flattening them out to about the size of a silver dollar. You use each of the smaller pieces until they get dirty and then throw them out. The reasoning behind this was that if you keep rolling the bigger clay bar over eventually the dirt will catch up with you and you will get scratches. Makes sense to me.
yup, thats what i do. after all, all you are picking up and "storing with" is the micro fine surface of the clay...
Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Yeah use it once and throw it away.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 PM
George Ware
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
Yeah use it once and throw it away.
Same here!

George Ware
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't forget that you can also "super clean" your windshield with the claybar as well. I save one just for that purpose. When I get a new bar (usually three uses) I replace the "windshield" bar at that time.

JMHO
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NiborGnissom
...how often do we do it, maybe twice a year.
Clay every time my car gets washed.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the claybar take the place of compounding.I have not used one before and am not sure of it's purpose?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by fastter
Before doing my first claybar someone here had posted a link on a DIY that said to take about a 3/4 inch ball and flatten it on the windshield. I ended up with about a 2 1/2 inch disk.

Others have pointed out that if you drop it you must throw it away. They suggested using a plastic dropcloth below the work area. I found it impossible to drop if you are using such a small thin piece because it just sticks to your fingers.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKitty
Does the claybar take the place of compounding.I have not used one before and am not sure of it's purpose?
no. the clay bar removes fine particle contaminants that are imbedded in the surface of the clear coat. it does not remove swirls.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

it is not necessary to discard a claybar after only one use. the particles that they collect are microscopic. that would be a waste. you can get many uses of a claybar with no chance of damaging your clearcoat. store it in a zip-lock bag with a spritz of lube. REMEMBER, if you drop it on the ground pitch it - no exceptions.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

You really needn't use a claybar all that often. Your fingertips should be your guide: gently glide them along the finish of the car (when it is clean) and concentrate on what you feel. If your hand glides freely along, there is no need to clay, but if you actually do feel gritty bumps or contaminates then do use the clay.

But you shouldn't use it just to use it, as it can be slightly aggressive toward the clearcoat.

Another interesting bit of information I've read explains that the best clay for cleaning an automotive finish is the yellow clay, which is patented. It seems that Mother's is paying royalties for the use of the yellow clay. I usually find it for the best price at W@%mart.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
it is not necessary to discard a claybar after only one use. the particles that they collect are microscopic. that would be a waste. you can get many uses of a claybar with no chance of damaging your clearcoat. store it in a zip-lock bag with a spritz of lube. REMEMBER, if you drop it on the ground pitch it - no exceptions.
Very true. Using a claybar only once is a monumental waste of money. Remember, any clay bar will have instructions that say to thoroughly clean the vehicle, and be sure all loose particles are removed before using the claybar. The claybar is removing microscopic contamination, not loose dirt.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

stupid question. Does playdoh work? (modeling clay)

It's 99cents a can for my kid.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

I really like the Clay Magic clay bars that are sold at Autozone.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Clay every time my car gets washed.

That's not a good idea. First of all, clay removes wax.

Second: clay is a very mild abrasive. That's why it's good for removing contaminants, paint overspray, etc. I wouldn't cay a car more than once a year - or less.

And as mentioned above - I cut mine into about 3 pieces. I use soapy solution as a lubricant, and I use LOTS of it rather than (expensive) detail spray. The downside is the soapy solution makes that thing slippery.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Bar lifespan

Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If I remember reading correctly on Zaino's site, it says something like 3 or 4 uses before discarding the clay. I imagine it depends on how much "contaminant" is pulled from the surface.

And yes, if you drop it, it's over. Pitch it in the nearest trash can.

OK... Just read through the recommendations at Zaino's website in terms of number of uses...

"Do not overuse. A single bar will do 3-4 medium size cars with moderate contamination. If you are removing heavy overspray or rail dust, use the bar once and throw it away."

Last edited by inthehunt2; 06-21-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well everyone, I learned something new today as well.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
stupid question. Does playdoh work? (modeling clay)

It's 99cents a can for my kid.

I believe playdoh is made of flour and water (or similar) so it would not have any abrasive properties. It wouldn't do anything.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar lifespan