C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax for a C6.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
1999PewterCorvette
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Carfax for a C6.

Hey guys, I had a fellow forum member run a VIS report for 2 Z06's
that I am looking at. Do I need to even bother with paying for a couple of Carfaxes or would I just get the same info as these VIS
sheets?? Actually I had never even heard of a VIS sheet until yesterday. Just dont want to spend another 60 bucks (30 bucks each) for a carfax if its just going to repeat the info I have.

thanks guys
Rob

Last edited by 1999PewterCorvette; 06-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I'd get the Carfax report as well. You can get a month of unlimited Carfax reports for less than $60.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
1999PewterCorvette
Drifting

I guess what Im asking is. What does the Carfax tell me that the
VIS sheet doesn't. Or Vice-Versa??
Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The VIS sheet is from GM. The VIS is the vehicle information system. It is a maintenance and warranty database maintained by GM and it will be updated when a customer issue or maintenance item is worked on or repaired by a GM dealer. If the previous owner totaled the car and rebuilt it them self or had a third party body shop do the repair it will not be in the VIS. It would however likely be in the Carfax if the insurance company got involved. Bottom line, if a GM dealer didn't do the work, it isn't going to show up in the VIS. If you have concerns about the car and want to fully research a used vehicle I would do the Carfax as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
1999PewterCorvette
Drifting

Wow-- thanks Talon for the great explanation. Yeah, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess I didnt realize that the carfax would catch things that the dealers would be unaware of. Thats a very good point.
thanks!!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The problem w/CARFAX is you're only told what is told to them.So if nothing is reported after an accident,lets say.then nothing will show.The report you have from GM is worth it's weight in gold and the selling/servicing dealer can tell you what you needto know as well.Don't waste your money in this case,on CARFAX.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIS and Carfax

12 years ago, we bought a new Firebird Formula from a broker. It was at a dealer in New Mexico and delivered to Tucson. The car was a nightmare. Many of its issues seemed odd. The windshield, the hood, one fender, things under the dash, water pump. All located up front. Turns out, during one of it many service trips the service writer asked who had done the wreck repair. Of course, the broker and NM dealer denied any knowledge. But then it was rear ended and repaired at a Pontiac dealer. When I sold the car, all of the third party reports were clean jeans. We did voluntarily disclose the rear end repair. Third party reports are solely dependent on shops/insurace companies doing voluntary reporting. No facts in no facts out.

Caveat emptor.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
The problem w/CARFAX is you're only told what is told to them.So if nothing is reported after an accident,lets say.then nothing will show.The report you have from GM is worth it's weight in gold and the selling/servicing dealer can tell you what you needto know as well.Don't waste your money in this case,on CARFAX.
I have also been told this report can be very "spotty"
Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

No reporting process is perfect, but CarFax will alert you to the chain of ownership (title tranfers) & also whether a salvage title was ever issued. Seems to me that if you're prepared to spend $40/$50/$60 thousand for a used Vette, the price of a CarFax or VIS report is well spent.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 08crm
Originally Posted by holdin5aces
12 years ago, we bought a new Firebird Formula from a broker. It was at a dealer in New Mexico and delivered to Tucson. The car was a nightmare. Many of its issues seemed odd. The windshield, the hood, one fender, things under the dash, water pump. All located up front. Turns out, during one of it many service trips the service writer asked who had done the wreck repair. Of course, the broker and NM dealer denied any knowledge. But then it was rear ended and repaired at a Pontiac dealer. When I sold the car, all of the third party reports were clean jeans. We did voluntarily disclose the rear end repair. Third party reports are solely dependent on shops/insurace companies doing voluntary reporting. No facts in no facts out.

Caveat emptor.
Originally Posted by metal
I have also been told this report can be very "spotty"
All very true. However, just because there is anecdotal evidence that not everything is reported doesn't mean all accidents, etc., aren't reported.

When I'm about to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a car, I'm not going to be so cheap as to not drop $30 to potentially find out an issue with what I'm about to buy.

Just my .02.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by lander
All very true. However, just because there is anecdotal evidence that not everything is reported doesn't mean all accidents, etc., aren't reported.

When I'm about to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a car, I'm not going to be so cheap as to not drop $30 to potentially find out an issue with what I'm about to buy.

Just my .02.
I tend to agree with lander on this one. While I agree (and have heard) that Carfax can miss some information as well as the fact that Carfax contributions are voluntary.

However, when you consider the fact that a flood will absolutely positively not appear on a VIS report as a flood but might appear on a Carfax and a frame damaged, totaled accident will absolutely, positively not appear on a VIS report as a total or salvage but might appear on a Carfax, I'll go with maybe every time.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999PewterCorvette
Hey guys, I had a fellow forum member run a VIS report for 2 Z06's
that I am looking at. Do I need to even bother with paying for a couple of Carfaxes or would I just get the same info as these VIS
sheets?? Actually I had never even heard of a VIS sheet until yesterday. Just dont want to spend another 60 bucks (30 bucks each) for a carfax if its just going to repeat the info I have.

thanks guys
Rob
GM VIS shows warranty repairs and recalls, branded title, blocked warranty, service contract info, applicable warrantys etc. VIS does not show vehicle maintenance. I would be careful with Carfax. The reports are not always complete, and therefore, in my opinion, have no value.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

I had my father call the GM dealership he deals with and had them run a report on the corvettes I am looking at. They cover warranty repairs, recalls, as well as any maintenance. I didn't have to pay anything though. I'm not sure if some dealers charge. In my case, the dealer even ran it through a damage check. I also did a car fax. Neither system is perfect and can be easy gotten around if an owner doesn't want a history on the car.

$40 gets your a free month of carfax. Autocheck is cheaper. In my case I just did the VIS, and carfax reports on the cars I were looking at.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calemasters
GM VIS shows warranty repairs and recalls, branded title, blocked warranty, service contract info, applicable warrantys etc. VIS does not show vehicle maintenance. I would be careful with Carfax. The reports are not always complete, and therefore, in my opinion, have no value.
So when I ran the Carfax on my Explorer before I bought it and saw all the times it was taken in for regular maintenance, that was no value to me?

We sometimes forget that members don't always by GM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lander
So when I ran the Carfax on my Explorer before I bought it and saw all the times it was taken in for regular maintenance, that was no value to me?

We sometimes forget that members don't always by GM.
In my opinion Carfax reports have no value because they are not always complete. For example, if someone is considering the purchase of a used Mazda and the vehicle has had a major collision repair, but the repair was not picked up by Carfax, then the Carfax report has not provided the information the customer was looking for. In this case, the report has no value with respect to a purchase decision and can be misleading to the potential buyer.

If Carfax reports were always complete, then they would provide some value.

I have 4 cars and they all receive excellent service and maintenance by me. However, if you checked Carfax on any of these 4 vehicles, you would not see any maintenance on the reports. Therefore, to me, the reports have no value.

Last edited by calemasters; 06-25-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

But my point is the Carfax I ran on the Explorer before I bought it showed all of the maintenance being done, on time and on a regular interval...so while you may say they are of no value in some instances, you cannot claim they are *always* of no value, because that's just flat out not true.

For example, if someone is considering the purchase of a used Mazda and the vehicle has had a major collision repair, and the repair was picked up by Carfax, then the Carfax report has provided the information the customer was looking for. In this case, the report has considerable value with respect to a purchase decision and can be quite helpful to the potential buyer.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by calemasters
CarFax is a used car salesman's tool. A carfax report is a total waste of YOUR money.

Never ever buy a car based on a CarFax report.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Carfax for a C6.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by TCW
CarFax is a used car salesman's tool. A carfax report is a total waste of YOUR money.

Never ever buy a car based on a CarFax report.

Tom
I think however that we'd all agree that we would certainly NOT buy one if it showed something. It is nothing but another tool in the toolbox to use to be as informed as possible in your buying decision.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by talon90
I think however that we'd all agree that we would certainly NOT buy one if it showed something. It is nothing but another tool in the toolbox to use to be as informed as possible in your buying decision.
...I don't think they're listening to what we're saying talon...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
txbikerdude
Instructor

get the carfax

Quick Reply: Carfax for a C6.