C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying tunning software...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking at buying tunning software...

Hi Actually this a question on buying a 2009 camaro ss ,and I heard if you tune the ecu, the warranty is voided... Is this true? I heard they can see if programed it before even if it was returned to stock settings before bringing it back in for whatever reason to the dealership? Is the new vett like this too? I heard there also was a tamper seal is it on the obd2 port or the ecu? I just swap ecu if I had to.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

Program Ill be using is hptuners as well....
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by buoniconti81
Hi Actually this a question on buying a 2009 camaro ss ,and I heard if you tune the ecu, the warranty is voided... Is this true? I heard they can see if programed it before even if it was returned to stock settings before bringing it back in for whatever reason to the dealership? Is the new vett like this too? I heard there also was a tamper seal is it on the obd2 port or the ecu? I just swap ecu if I had to.
If the issue is powertrain related its possible the dealer will void the warranty if he discovers an aftermarket tune. Dealer policies vary.

Returning it to a stock tune does not eliminate the recorded history of what has been done as I understand it.

I can't answer the tamper seal question but I have not heard of one.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Can't answer the warrenty question but if you want to research different tuning software options go to ls1tech.com. they have tons of info on the various tunning software out there. Lots of choices.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Go over to corvettemechanic.com/forum/ and click on C6 technical info. There is a post on "GM's crackdown on aftermarket calibrations". Apparently a good tech can tell if the ECM was reflashed or replaced. There are inconsistencies that a trained tech can pick up. The additional 10 -15 hp gain is not worth voiding the powertrain warranty. Those who install headers, intake, cam, etc. will need a tune to gain maximum performance.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-03-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

I was going to do american racing headers and a good tune.. I didnt run into this problem, on my c5 oh well...... Thanks guys Ill check out ls1tech.....
Old 07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

I heard a gm tech 2 person can pick up the ecm was flashed at some point... I wasnt sure if they could tell if you switched them out.....

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at buying tunning software...

Quick Reply: Looking at buying tunning software...