C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Level of A6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Thule
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Level of A6 Transmission

Hi,
I am changing the fluid of my 2007 C6 A6 transmission.But I don't know the level of transmssion fluid? Does anybody tell where will I see the level of fluid?Thanks...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You just fill it until it won't take any more.

Additional warnings:
  • Temperature must be between 88 and 122F.
  • With engine running move shift level through all gears stopping in each for at least 3 seconds.
  • In park idle for at least 1 minute.
  • Make sure vehicle on hoist is level, running in park.
  • Remove oil level check plug and fill until it drips out. (18 ft lb)
Recheck temperature and, if outside the range, repeat all steps.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 07-14-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Thule
Instructor

But I heard the excess fluid could harm the transmission.Does it create any problem for me?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Thule
But I heard the excess fluid could harm the transmission.Does it create any problem for me?
Yes, both too much and too little will damage the transmission.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 511 Likes on 192 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hi,
I am changing the fluid of my 2007 C6 A6 transmission.But I don't know the level of transmssion fluid? Does anybody tell where will I see the level of fluid?Thanks...

2008 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Transmission/Transaxle | Automatic Transmission - 6L50/6L80/6L90 | Repair Instructions - On Vehicle | Document ID: 1593625
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission Fluid Check
This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Notice: The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F). If the TFT is not within this range, operate the vehicle or allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an under or over-filled transmission. TFT>50°C=under-filled, TFT<30°C=over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to discharge out the vent tube, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.
Start and idle the engine.
Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500-800 RPM).
Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

Notice: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.

Important: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.

Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain.
• If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.

• If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out. Refer to Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure .

Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.
• If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of "friction" material in the bottom pan is a "normal" condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.

• Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission .

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
Inspect for external leaks. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis .
Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Thule
Instructor

Thank you very much snake slayer
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Thule
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snake Slayer
2008 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Transmission/Transaxle | Automatic Transmission - 6L50/6L80/6L90 | Repair Instructions - On Vehicle | Document ID: 1593625
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain.
• If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.

• If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out. Refer to Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure .

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
Inspect for external leaks. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis .
Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.
When the new fluid drips from the transmission fluid pan; does it mean filled?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

why are we changing the fliud on a 2007? just wondering.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

When the new fluid drips from the transmission fluid pan; does it mean filled?
Yes, when I dropped my pan and filter I added 6.5 quarts as reccomended by the owner manual. You then follow the fluid instructions I listed above please keep in mind the trans temp cannot exceed 122 deg or you will not be able to check the levels correctly. Once you drop the bottom pan bolt to check the fluid with the engine running and the tranny temps are under 122 degrees any excess fluid should run out in steady stream. When the fluid drains from a steady stream to a drip the fluid level is correct.

Last edited by Snake Slayer; 07-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Thule
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
why are we changing the fliud on a 2007? just wondering.
my torq converter is dead.So I changed it.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Thule
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snake Slayer
Yes, when I dropped my pan and filter I added 6.5 quarts as reccomended by the owner manual. You then follow the fluid instructions I listed above please keep in mind the trans temp cannot exceed 122 deg or you will not be able to check the levels correctly. Once you drop the bottom pan bolt to check the fluid with the engine running and the tranny temps are under 122 degrees any excess fluid should run out in steady stream. When the fluid drains from a steady stream to a drip the fluid level is correct.
thanks man. I am grateful..
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Thule
Instructor

Snake Slayer could you post the Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure?maybe it helps the people who wants to fill transmission fluid by themselves..Thanks..
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Snake Slayer could you post the Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure?maybe it helps the people who wants to fill transmission fluid by themselves..Thanks..
Here you go

Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure
Notice: Use Dexron VI transmission fluid only. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in transmission internal damage.

Perform this procedure for vehicles with transmissions that are not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick. Based on accessibility, transmission fluid may be added through the fluid fill tube plug assembly (1) hole or through the oil level check plug (2) hole in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.

Tools Required
• DT 47784 Transmission Fluid Fill Pan Adapter

• J 45096 Transmission Oil Cooling System Flush and Flow Test Tool

• J 45096-30 Transmission Cooler Flush Adapters

• J 45096-40 Transflow Oil Fill Adapter

Fill Tube Plug Method

Notice: Before removing the transmission fluid fill tube plug assembly, thoroughly clean around the plug to prevent dirt or contaminants from entering the transmission during plug removal. Use compressed air to dislodge any caked dirt that may be stuck on and around the plug area. Use a mirror to confirm the area is free of dirt before removing the plug. Failure to clean around the plug may result in transmission contamination.

Clean around the fluid fill tube plug.

Important: It may be necessary to use a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to lift the plunger and remove the plug assembly.

Unlock the fill tube plug by lifting the plunger. Once the plunger is lifted, remove the entire plug assembly.
Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications . To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure.

Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096 , monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.

Using the J 45096-40 (1) and the J 45096 (2), or a suitable hand pump, add transmission fluid through the fill tube plug opening. Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flushing and Flow Test for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid.
Check the fluid level. Refer to Transmission Fluid Check .
Check Plug Method

Important: When the oil level check plug is removed with the engine OFF, transmission fluid may drain from the hole.

Remove the oil level check plug.

Install the DT 47784 (1) and, if necessary, one adapter from the J 45096-30 (2).
Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications . To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure.
Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096 , monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.

Using the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and the J 45096 (3), add transmission fluid through the check plug hole. Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flushing and Flow Test for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid.
Important: Failure to start the engine and move the shift lever through the gear ranges before removing the DT 47784 and J 45096-30 from the bottom pan will result in an excess amount of fluid draining from the check plug hole. This may lead to an under-fill condition.

Start the engine and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each gear range.
With the engine still running, remove the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and J 45096 (3) and then check the fluid level. Refer to Transmission Fluid Check .
Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Thule
Instructor

thank you very much man...you are great..
Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Does the transmission feel any different since you have had the fluid changed?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

thank you very much man...you are great..
No problem
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM
KBG
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

strange question......I fill until the fluid comes out of the plug on the passenger side of the tranny (the rubber plug halfway up above the pan) correct?????

I got the tranny up to about 100 deg. with the engine running and pulled the plug on the side and filled it.......drove it for a short while and now some is leaking out when I stop......not much but it's definitely leaking

think I need to drain some more or did I do something incorrectly???

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid Level of A6 Transmission

Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM
KBG
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

and sorry to bring this thread back from the dead LOL
Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 PM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the interval/ mileage for A6 transmission fluid change?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

It says in my manual that the fluid never needs to be changed unless it leaks. I got 31,000 I suppose it is cheap insurance to drain and change but I will have dealer do it cause I am not going to run the car if it's jacked up.
They can use their special machine to get as much fluid out as much as possible though I don't think all of the old fluid can be removed.
I'll have them put in Amsoil Trans fluid (synthetic).

Quick Reply: Fluid Level of A6 Transmission