C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights and headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
sixdogs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights and headlights question

I have an '07 1LT and, for some odd reason, have never driven it at night. When I did tonight I could not figure out how to get the headlights and dash lights to stay on at the same time. If I turn the dash lights on, the screen says "headlights suggested." But when I turn them on the dash lights go off. If I have headlights on and turn on the dash lights the headlights go off.

I looked in the the owners's manual and searched it but not much success. I sure hope this is my dumbness rather than some other problem. I am sort-of embarrassed to even post this.
Please tell me this is just me and not a real problem.

'07 coupe, 6 spd
Central Ohio
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The dash lights are on all the time when the engine is running. They're just brighter during the day, or when you turn the headlights off. However, you can brighten them a little with the dash light dimmer switch at your left knee.

But, as I've indicated, nighttime dash lights will never be as bright as the daytime dash lights.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It sounds like you need to adjust the dimming level on your dash lights. What I suspect is happening is your dim level on the dash is turned down. By default, when you turn on the headlights the dash lights will dim slightly and it makes the gauge cluster appear to turn off the dash lights. That level can be adjusted by the **** to to the left of the steering wheel. Turn it to the right to increase the brightness level of the dashlights with your headlights on.

The dashlights adjust automatically with the use of the headlights. You don't actually turn on the dashlights with the switch on the stalk. That turns the headlights on and off and in your case it is making it appear (when the headlights go off) that the dash is getting brighter.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
sixdogs
Instructor

I'll add the headlights go from brilliant beaming fright to dead black.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
sixdogs
Instructor

Uh-oh, it was the little button on the left. I did push it and saw the floor light go on and dismissed it. I'm all set now.
Thanks.

'07 coupe, 6spd
Central Ohio

Get notified of new replies

To Dash lights and headlights question

Quick Reply: Dash lights and headlights question