C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default shocks.

Anyone have these??? any good??? Thanks

97-08 C5 / Z06 / C6 Corvette, C6 Z06 Front & Rear Shock Absorber Set (4) Part Number: 1031

Give your 97-04 C5 / Z06 or 2005-08 C6 Corvette the re-engineered performance of the new C6 Z06 Shock Absorbers. This is a direct bolt on application, no modifications needed.

GM engineers have refined the Z06’s shock absorbers damping characteristics to provide improved handling in the most challenging conditions, while maintaining good ride control for the demands of daily driving. Continual analysis, development and refinement of the shock valves in particular resulted in more damping control and force, delivered more smoothly.
This new tuning is aimed at diminishing the impact of yaw and roll on the car, particularly in quick maneuvers or a series of tight corners. These refinements are a result of extensive testing and development, including several high-speed test sessions at Germany’s famed Nürburgring race track.

Fits all 1997-2004 C5/Z06.
*NOTE: 2006-08 C6 Z06 Shocks are not compatible with electronic / adjustable suspensions.

OUR PRICE: $299.00
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah. Every new Z06 comes stock with those shocks.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Oh! ha ha .
Will they fit on the base model
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetsvett
Oh! ha ha .
Will they fit on the base model
Yes, but don't waste your money. Get bilstein's for the same price and much better dampening.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Exactly. I was just thinking the same thing.
just wanted some feed back on the Z shocks.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM
itz4fun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question:

How do you know when it is time to replace your shocks on a C6? I have 38K on my '06
Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by itz4fun
Stupid question:

How do you know when it is time to replace your shocks on a C6? I have 38K on my '06
I replaced mine at 7k miles. I knew the stock shocks sucked, but until I installed the bilsteins I had no idea just how bad the stock shocks were.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
itz4fun
Intermediate

I agree that almost anything is better that stock. What did you notice the most when you replaced your shocks. How much did those run you and where did you get them? thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The Bilsteins are just great. Biggest difference is that they really don't feel any stiffer but provide much better control on skitter-bump type roads. They are a much more sophisticated shock than any of the stock ones. $300 for a set of four, shipped is a good price. Google them.

(They are one of the reasons that Porsches handle well without being brutally stiff)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
itz4fun
Intermediate

Thanks for that info. One more thing to add to the mod list
Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

I agree that almost anything is better that stock. What did you notice the most when you replaced your shocks. How much did those run you and where did you get them? thanks
With the stock shocks, hard high speed cornering was a tad spooky. The car tended to bob some, shifing it's cg front to back making the car feel unstable. I thought the stabilizer bars were too small, so I ordered the Z51 swaybars (on back order still). I also ordered the bilsteins. I'm laughing as I type this as I know I sound like some nut swinger, but the handling difference just with the bilstein shocks is startling. And I still don't have the bigger sways installed. The ride is still fine, but the control in hard cornering is vastly superior. Get the bilstein sports. If you've ever driven a BMW with the sport package, that's what it feels like as far as how it rides.

I bought mine thru www.shockwarehouse.com. Google a coupon code for a bigger discount. I think www.shox.com might have similar, or even better pricing. About $314. shipped.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
itz4fun
Intermediate

Thanks for this info too. I went to the website you mentioned and they indicated that the sport was for z51 pkg. I don't have that but do you think it will matter. This sounds like a very good upgrade option to improve handling. Do these affect the ride any? That's the one thing people comment about is that they can't believe how great this car rides like.
Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Thanks for this info too. I went to the website you mentioned and they indicated that the sport was for z51 pkg. I don't have that but do you think it will matter. This sounds like a very good upgrade option to improve handling. Do these affect the ride any? That's the one thing people comment about is that they can't believe how great this car rides like.
Thanks again.
I have the base suspension with the sport shocks. I think idea behind the HD (softer) shock is that it is assumed the base suspension owner just wants a nice soft ride, with better control. While the sport shock is somewhat stiffer for more aggressive driving, which it is assumed the Z51 owner would prefer.

But, what really matters is how you intend to drive the vehicle, not the spring rate. Look at the F55 and ZR1, both have adjustable shocks using the same spring rates, respectively. And there are several aftermarket adjustable shocks that advertise how you can revise the settings depending on your mood, i.e. track day versus daily commute, etc.

I'm not saying spring rate ever comes into play, but practically speaking not in this case.

My ride is as good as stock.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 07-22-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
With the stock shocks, hard high speed cornering was a tad spooky. The car tended to bob some, shifing it's cg front to back making the car feel unstable. I thought the stabilizer bars were too small, so I ordered the Z51 swaybars (on back order still). I also ordered the bilsteins. I'm laughing as I type this as I know I sound like some nut swinger, but the handling difference just with the bilstein shocks is startling. And I still don't have the bigger sways installed. The ride is still fine, but the control in hard cornering is vastly superior. Get the bilstein sports. If you've ever driven a BMW with the sport package, that's what it feels like as far as how it rides.

I bought mine thru www.shockwarehouse.com. Google a coupon code for a bigger discount. I think www.shox.com might have similar, or even better pricing. About $314. shipped.
You will love it when the Z51 bars are on...to me its the perfect combo: Bilsteins and bars.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Default Thank You.

Thank you's are in order. to Airbus pilot for the detailed difference in the two. and to itz4fun for the 64 dollar question which prompted the
64 dollar answer
And cclive - damn it, now i need the sways. Just thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To shocks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shocks.