C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may have ruined my PowerFlo exhaust... with Dynamat and MadVette!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I may have ruined my PowerFlo exhaust... with Dynamat and MadVette!

Like many others, I thought the stock exhaust was way too quiet, and didn't suit the Vette very well. So I installed a SLP PowerFlo with cast tips - great look, and fantastic sound. The only downside was drone at 65mph in 6th.... kind of a bummer when you're trying to stay around the speed limit, and get decent milage.

So I ordered the MadVette insulation kit. While I was tearing apart the interior anyway, I figured I'd put in some Dynamat Extreme as well.

Just got done with installing the installation in the trunk, and what a Huge difference! The drone is completely gone! The rear is extremely quiet now... maybe too quiet! With the windows up, it sounds as quiet as stock now (from memory at least). Maybe too quiet... :o

For now I can still hear the exhaust - but once I do the cabin and doors, I'll probably miss the sound of the exhaust. Oh well - at least I can roll down the windows, or drive with the top off.... or get Bullets!

The installation went okay... couple of broken push pins (the tiny ones at the halo), and lots of confusion with how the Madvettes insulation kit fits in place (better instructions for which pieces are which, and maybe diagrams of where they go would be really helpful).

Car stripped out...

Dynamat in...

MadVette's insulation in...

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 07-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Looks good...should help with heat also
Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently installed the Blockit noise reduction kit. The three piece kit installed in about two minutes without any tools or removal of any parts. The difference in the noise level is amazing, especially at highway speeds. There is no more annoying drone and I can actually hear the radio at 75MPH. BTW, I can now really see how bad the Bose premium radio actually is. I am really happy with this product. It makes road trips much more pleasant.

Last edited by Spinny; 07-24-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: pushed enter before finishing
Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
jozGS4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Like many others, I thought the stock exhaust was way too quiet, and didn't suit the Vette very well. So I installed a SLP PowerFlo with cast tips - great look, and fantastic sound. The only downside was drone at 65mph in 6th.... kind of a bummer when you're trying to stay around the speed limit, and get decent milage.

So I ordered the MadVette insulation kit. While I was tearing apart the interior anyway, I figured I'd put in some Dynamat Extreme as well.

Just got done with installing the installation in the trunk, and what a Huge difference! The drone is completely gone! The rear is extremely quiet now... maybe too quiet! With the windows up, it sounds as quiet as stock now (from memory at least). Maybe too quiet... :o

For now I can still hear the exhaust - but once I do the cabin and doors, I'll probably miss the sound of the exhaust. Oh well - at least I can roll down the windows, or drive with the top off.... or get Bullets!

The installation went okay... couple of broken push pins (the tiny ones at the halo), and lots of confusion with how the Madvettes insulation kit fits in place (better instructions for which pieces are which, and maybe diagrams of where they go would be really helpful).
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of doing the same but wondered if the MadVette insulation over the Dynamat might be overkill.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Whaler21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I drive at 65 I am in 5th gear. In 6th gear at 65 I am turning about 1600 RPM or so. I know these motors have plenty of torque but I think you are lugging the motor. I still get 27+ MPG in 5th at 65 MPH.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Just think, you probably wouldn't be seeing the range low in that picture if you used 6th. Just kidding. You can't lug an LS_ engine. With the LS3 I've cruised up 7% grades at 70 mph in 6th and I had no trouble getting up to 80mph without shifting gears.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
evilz
Instructor

Thanx for the heads up. Doing the SAME thing myself as soon as my madvettes gets here
Lookin to kill heat. Black on black gets warm..........
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
milt IV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you gonna put the carpet back down over that?

Originally Posted by Whaler21
When I drive at 65 I am in 5th gear. In 6th gear at 65 I am turning about 1600 RPM or so. I know these motors have plenty of torque but I think you are lugging the motor. I still get 27+ MPG in 5th at 65 MPH.
you need gas.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by milt IV
are you gonna put the carpet back down over that?

Actually, for a while, I wasn't sure... Unfortunately, I ran out of time (and re-injured my back) getting this far. So the carpet didn't go back on until a few days later - but at first, I didn't know if my back was ever going to get better. Haven't had a chance to take pics yet. :o
Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Whaler21
65 mph in 6th isn't ever a problem on the flats - the engine's still turning around 1300 - 1400 rpm I believe. I'll downshift if I'm accelerating, or maintaining speed uphill, but even that isn't because I'm worried about the engine, only because I like to have more power available.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut

Car stripped out...

Dynamat in...

MadVette's insulation in...

That's alot of work I would be worried if I could get everything back together without breaking anything or causing interior squeaks.
TKO has a 3 piece matt 2 behind the seat and one for the hatch area. All you have to do is drop them in.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LS WON
That's alot of work I would be worried if I could get everything back together without breaking anything or causing interior squeaks.
TKO has a 3 piece matt 2 behind the seat and one for the hatch area. All you have to do is drop them in.

Something to consider. BLOCKIT
Super easy (drop it in) very efficient. Removable too!
A new product. Already a ton of positive posts/threads & comments here on the forum...
http://store.tkoperformance.com/acousticsystem.html

Serving The Corvette Forum For 21 Years!!

Allow us to add you to the list of extremely satisfied customers.
Order Securely Online 24/7: http://tkoperformance.com/index.html
Feel Free To Contact Us By Phone: 1800 -778- 9898 Monday- Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm

Click Here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TKO-Pe...e/367433626633

Last edited by TKO Performance; 07-25-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had Dave at MadVette Motorsports install his insulation kit on my 2009 vert while on a road trip through his area (I was between the Tail of the Dragon and the NCM) and I can tell you that having him do the install is well worth it!! He really knows the C6 and had everything out and back in in a little over 1/2 a day. I probably would have only done the floors, console and trunk floor if left to my own devices, but with his entire kit installed, the car is much quieter and the cup holder & console aren't boiling/baking whatever is in them . He also installed some aftermarket speakers and a PAL iPod adapter while he was at it; all for what I thought was an extremely reasonable price. If you're anywhere near Murfreesboro TN (or passing by), having Dave do the install is the way to go IMHO! Just for the record, I'm not a relative or a stockholder in Madvettes; just a very satisfied customer......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by akriggm
I just had Dave at MadVette Motorsports install his insulation kit on my 2009 vert while on a road trip through his area (I was between the Tail of the Dragon and the NCM) and I can tell you that having him do the install is well worth it!! He really knows the C6 and had everything out and back in in a little over 1/2 a day. I probably would have only done the floors, console and trunk floor if left to my own devices, but with his entire kit installed, the car is much quieter and the cup holder & console aren't boiling/baking whatever is in them . He also installed some aftermarket speakers and a PAL iPod adapter while he was at it; all for what I thought was an extremely reasonable price. If you're anywhere near Murfreesboro TN (or passing by), having Dave do the install is the way to go IMHO! Just for the record, I'm not a relative or a stockholder in Madvettes; just a very satisfied customer......
Enjoy,
akriggm
That's great...
I wish we had someone as skilled as that here in the San Francisco Bay area who could do this compentently and at a reasonable price. No more paying Corvette tax.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM
C6 Doberman
Burning Brakes

I'm running American Racing Long tubes w/ bulltets. 236/238 cam. Will the Insulation help with the sound and drone or is it bringing a knife to a gun fight?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6 Doberman
I'm running American Racing Long tubes w/ bulltets. 236/238 cam. Will the Insulation help with the sound and drone or is it bringing a knife to a gun fight?
Dynamat Extreme under MadVette's insulation kit would definitely help with the drone. Even though the SLP isn't that loud, inside the car the drone was really bad. My guess (and I have some experience with mobile audio systems) is that the resonance frequency of the 'trunk" area of the coupe is pretty much the exact same as the loudest part of most aftermarket exhausts. So when the exhaust is getting loudest, that sound is being magnified by the natural "echo" of the hatch area. And the exhaust sound is being channeled right through the hatch area - a "perfect storm" for drone if you will.

The dynamat absorbs certain frequencies, and helps kill that magnification of low frequency sound. And combined with the insulation kits, they block external noise from coming into the car.

I'm having to get used to the rear of the car being so quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To I may have ruined my PowerFlo exhaust... with Dynamat and MadVette!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 AM
0Madvette Motorsports
Former Vendor

Always great to hear of good results with the insulation kit. Sometimes 2 layer of any sound deadening can make it too quiet.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Madvette Motorsports
Always great to hear of good results with the insulation kit. Sometimes 2 layer of any sound deadening can make it too quiet.
It can never be too quiet.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 AM
0Madvette Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LS WON
It can never be too quiet.
you have a point there as well...

Quick Reply: I may have ruined my PowerFlo exhaust... with Dynamat and MadVette!