C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak from radiator - 05

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
scot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak from radiator - 05

Looks like my radiator is leaking, only when cold. Car parked, leak is coming from the passenger side of the radiator. I can't feel or see any liquid leaking from the water pump or any hoses, it just seems to be coming from the side of the radiator, though the specific spot is blocked from view.

When hot it doesn't leak.

I know, not enough information, but think this is fixable or should I just replace the radiator?

Any hints on how to drain the system without a huge mess?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I would suspect the water pump vs. the radiator as your description matches what a pump does when it fails. In any case, both are repairable. I would take it in and have a pressure test done to see if the actual problem can be issolated. good luck!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
scot
Advanced

Originally Posted by dpigguy
I would suspect the water pump vs. the radiator as your description matches what a pump does when it fails. In any case, both are repairable. I would take it in and have a pressure test done to see if the actual problem can be issolated. good luck!
How could it be the water pump? Not trying to be annoying, but there is no water coming from the housing on the engine or collecting on the hose coming down from the pump to the radiator.

I'm probably wrong, just don't get how I could be missing a leak from the pump?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Just had my water pump replaced. '06, 50K miles. Leaking at front seal. Did you bang the front end on a car stop or something????
Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
SETc6
Racer

If you need a radiator I have a extra brand new one ill sell for half the price.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep us posted on what you find. My '05 seems to be okay there, but the water pump is definitely in a different area than the radiator for leaks. Not sure why it would not leak when warm...or you just dont notice it.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 778 Likes on 439 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I had the exact same problem on my 05 as well. Radiator drips on passenger side only when car sits cold for 2 or 3 days.
The culprit is that the plastic sides of the radiator are held to the aluminum center part of the radiator by gaskets ( one on each side) and a bunch of metal clips.
Theose clips will relax a bit causing the leak. When car is hot, the gasket swells up and stops the leak.
I was skeptical at first, but I put some Barr's stop leak in the tank and let the engine idle for 30 minutes. That was 3 months ago, leak has stopped. no clogging or overheating issues whatsoever, and the car has been in 90+ temps, with the AC on and a supercharger to boot.
It worked for me !

I used the liquid form.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak from radiator - 05

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from radiator - 05