C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the air dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
RDFLYER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing the air dam

Is it a easy task to replace the three sections(lower) of the air dam? Give we some instructions. Thanks, Al 05 C6 Z51
Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Yes, it's easy and pretty straight forward. The two side pieces just unbolt from the bottom. I had to work with the middle piece to get it to fit back under/over the metal frame (radiator support?). The middle piece has a "C" shaped channel the back edge that fits around this frame and if I recall correctly a couple of the bolts also locate the bottom part of the front fascia in addition to holding the spoiler.

This link shows the parts breakdown and you can sort of see the "C" channel that I'm referring to along the top rear edge of part #14: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

It probably only took no more than 1 hour total and large part of that time was fiddling with the middle part. Good luck
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
RDFLYER
Advanced

Thanks for the advice,

Al
Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

It is an easy job but if your replacing your existing dam the new side pieces may be shorter and no longer connect to the middle.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Easy assuming the old pieces are still on the car. If they were ripped off because you hit something the mounting points may be damaged or missing. Then its a whole different story. I hit a road "gater" and tore off my driver side dam. Had to replace the part the dam attaches to as well...
Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
It is an easy job but if your replacing your existing dam the new side pieces may be shorter and no longer connect to the middle.
Has this issue ever been put to bed? I thought talon90 indicated a while back the shorter pieces were a mistake that got into production, but he wasn't sure at the time what they were going to do about it. It seems like some 2010's have hit the street, so can anyone confirm what is under there for air dam pieces?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM
85Z514+3
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The issue with the shorter side air dam parts has been resolved. The original design parts (LH) have been reinstated in GM's parts system and can now be ordered. I do not know how long it will take to get the inventory re-established in the pipeline, but I do know that it is resolved.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Z514+3
The issue with the shorter side air dam parts has been resolved. The original design parts (LH) have been reinstated in GM's parts system and can now be ordered. I do not know how long it will take to get the inventory re-established in the pipeline, but I do know that it is resolved.
Gene posted a note about ordering the Z06 air dam parts since it still uses the original part #.

Get notified of new replies

To replacing the air dam

Quick Reply: replacing the air dam