C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender -- Direct to the battery or via Cigarette Lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:27 PM
bgergely1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender -- Direct to the battery or via Cigarette Lighter?

What do you think is the best way to connect your Battery Tender? I've got mine connected with the quick disconnect to the battery terminals currently. I also have the cigarette lighter adaptor. Just trying to determine if I want to leave the window opened to use the lighter adaptor and the car cover, or leave it as is, with the hood not fully closed. Can't seem to make my mind up on what's the best method to connect and use the car cover at the same time. Please share your thoughts and how you do this. Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

My Deltron Battery Tenders only have the battery connections.
I didn't know about the cigarette lighter adaptor.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:42 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Lighter connector and door closed, it's never damaged my cord.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:43 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I go straight to the battery. I personally don't want the charge going through the entire electrical system even though I know many people use the lighter adapter and I doubt it would hurt anything.

I bought a bunch of Battery Tender extensions and I have both my Mustang and Corvette wired permanently with the connection mounted at the lower part of the bumper so I don't even need to open the hoods to connect the Tenders. I typically keep my cars on the Tenders all the time when not using them.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 PM
bgergely1
Advanced

Yep, they have them. I ordered the tender from Deltran last week and I contacted them after I ordered it to see if they would add the cig lighter adaptor to the bill if they hadn't shipped it yet. They had already sent the tender but they were so nice that they mailed me the cig lighter adaptor (a $7.50 accessory) at no charge! It arrived in the mail today. What a GREAT supplier and friend to Forum members!

Last edited by bgergely1; 08-08-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a CTEK 3300 with the cigarette lighter connector that I use when my car is put away. I don't have to crack a window to use it. If you open the driver's door and look down towards the front of the door opening, there is a little depression in the door sill (probably a drip point), but the point is that the cable from your charger will fit in that little depression allowing you to close the door after you've hooded up your charger through the cigarette lighter receptacle with no ill effects to the car or the charger cable.

BTW, I don't really use the cigarette lighter receptacle, I use the power socket in the center console.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:52 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Leave it as you have it now but splice in an approx 5' piece of double conductor wire using butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. The longer length will allow you to run the wire along the fender well down the side of the radiator and out the front grill. The quick disconnect plug will be accessible there, Zip tie the wire to the plastic grill and leave as much as you like sticking out for your use. When you are driving it tuck the end down inside the grill. Look at the set up and you will see how it works. There are pics around if you need them.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM
bgergely1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Another Don
I have a CTEK 3300 with the cigarette lighter connector that I use when my car is put away. I don't have to crack a window to use it. If you open the driver's door and look down towards the front of the door opening, there is a little depression in the door sill (probably a drip point), but the point is that the cable from your charger will fit in that little depression allowing you to close the door after you've hooded up your charger through the cigarette lighter receptacle with no ill effects to the car or the charger cable.

BTW, I don't really use the cigarette lighter receptacle, I use the power socket in the center console.

Thanks! After going back to the Deltran site, I might just get the 12 foot extension and drop it underneath the so that I can close the hood and not have anything connected inside the car.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
bgergely1
Advanced

Originally Posted by wbear
Leave it as you have it now but splice in an approx 5' piece of double conductor wire using butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. The longer length will allow you to run the wire along the fender well down the side of the radiator and out the front grill. The quick disconnect plug will be accessible there, Zip tie the wire to the plastic grill and leave as much as you like sticking out for your use. When you are driving it tuck the end down inside the grill. Look at the set up and you will see how it works. There are pics around if you need them.
Thanks! This is why the Forum is the best!!! Vette lovers helping other Vette lovers out. There is something to be said for that!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bgergely1
Thanks! This is why the Forum is the best!!! Vette lovers helping other Vette lovers out. There is something to be said for that!
Coincidently I just completed the set up I mentioned this morning. I also bought the 12' tender extension. If I had to do it again I would save my $ and not buy the extension. It is way too long for what we need. You already have the quick disconnect plug you need on the end of the battery adapter you have now. All you need is the wire, 4 blue butt connectors and 1/4" heat shrink tubing. Good chance you have the stuff laying around. You can't even see the end tucked in the grill and the charger has a plenty long enough lead to run up under the front of the car cover to the grill. I can take pics of my set up if you like to review before making a decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender -- Direct to the battery or via Cigarette Lighter?

Quick Reply: Battery Tender -- Direct to the battery or via Cigarette Lighter?