C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ultra Simple PAL Installation is here!

For those of you who have been following this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-adapters.html

and reading the details about the installation of the PAL, some of you may be deciding against purchasing a PAL because of the difficulty and/or expense of installing it.

I now offer a wiring harness that will allow you to install a PAL in less than 30 minutes, with the following features:

1. No removal of the center console or Nav unit.
2. No cutting of factory wire harness.
3. No difficult splice pack access.
4. No difficult routing of cables to the electrical panel.
5. No modification of the glove box.
6. Charging of all late model Ipods and Iphones.
7. Console access of Ipods and Iphones.

All of the above will be possible with a new PAL wiring harness that plugs into the XM receiver rather than the back of the Nav unit. All you will have to do is unplug the connector at the XM receiver and plug it into the new wiring harness. Then plug a connector on the harness into the XM receiver. The PAL module will be installed to the rear of the XM receiver in the coupe/Z06s and behind the waterfall in the convertibles.

The Ipod cable that comes with the PAL is only 4' long, so it won't reach the glove box in any Vette. But the iSimple 4' charging adapter:

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/ReVolt.asp

can be purchased to not only extend the Ipod cable but also allow charging of all late model Ipods and Iphones. This cable can be routed to the console area along the passenger seat to connect to your Ipod or Iphone. Convertible owners who don't need the charging adapter for their older Ipods/Iphones can get by without the extension cable.

You can purchase the extension here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337

I offer the new PAL XM wiring harness for $35, plus $5 for Priority Mail shipping.

I'd like to know about how many Corvette owners would be interested in this option so I can work with the harness supplier. I know a lot of owners have already purchased their PALs and have them installed per the GM instructions, but there may be quite a few owners who are still interested, especially since the installation will be so simple. If you are, please email, rather than PM, me.

Coupe/Z06 owners will have to access the XM receiver above the left rear wheel well, which is easy if you just pull back the carpet. Convertible owners have access behind the waterfall, which is also easy to remove if you follow the instructions on the website:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20install.htm

It would have been nice if GM could have offered this installation option, but there are a number of reasons why this couldn't happen. The PAL is a neat product, but installation is considerably more difficult than that for most of the aftermarket Ipod adapters. This new wiring harness will make it just as simple to install as the aftermarket adapters.

Update as of 9/5/09: Shipping of harnesses began 9/3/09.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 09-14-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Great minds Ray. I was trying to get the Delphi and Yazaki connector information put together to do the same thing of sorts for you. I for one would be interested. I haven't purchased a PAL yet....long story, but I hope to in the next month so put me on the list of interested parties depending upon your timetable. I know the quality of your work so the $25.00 will be well worth it. I'll gladly recommend it to everyone I know that is looking for one.

A similar option was considered for the PAL but the problem is in all the possible variations. The coupe, convertible, XM no XM, nav, no nav (later date availability) and the only common thread was the splice pack installation. They had certain constraints that they had to work within for the dealer install.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 08-11-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by talon90
Great minds Ray. I was trying to get the Delphi and Yazaki connector information put together to do the same thing of sorts for you. I for one would be interested. I haven't purchased a PAL yet....long story, but I hope to in the next month so put me on the list of interested parties depending upon your timetable. I know the quality of your work so the $25.00 will be well worth it. I'll gladly recommend it to everyone I know that is looking for one.

A similar option was considered for the PAL but the problem is in all the possible variations. The coupe, convertible, XM no XM, nav, no nav (later date availability) and the only common thread was the splice pack installation. They had certain constraints that they had to work within for the dealer install.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Your wire kit with the Yazaki terminal is on its way to you already. I wish I had a date for these new harnesses, but I'll have to wait a bit until I can announce that.

One thing to note is that this new installation alternative will not allow a glove box installation because the Ipod cable is too short to reach from the XM receiver location. However, when I previously had an aftermarket Ipod adapter installed, I found it very convenient to have the Ipod connector laying alongside the passenger seat where I could pick it up and plug it into the Ipod. I then laid the Ipod on the center console for easy access. If owners are content with this arrangement, this new installation will be ideal.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 08-11-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray-

Great news and good work as usual. Would you put me on you list as soon as they are available?

Very much appreciate your efforts.

Jim
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

I have a 2006 w no on star. It has XM and the bose 6 CD changer. I would be interested in what you speak of as the NEW GM PAL will not work with the 06s plus I dont know if it charges and works with the Iphone and latest other MP3 gadgets
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
John_Syb
Pro

I would be interested.

If the connection were behind my waterfall I could easily run the cable into my console.... right?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by drivinfast
I have a 2006 w no on star. It has XM and the bose 6 CD changer. I would be interested in what you speak of as the NEW GM PAL will not work with the 06s plus I dont know if it charges and works with the Iphone and latest other MP3 gadgets
The new PAL works with an '06. If you have a Navigation system and XM in the car (need not be active) the install is plug and play. If you do not have a navigation system the PAL will currently not work for you. The current PAL requires the navigation radio touch screen as it's primary user interface. There were plans to release a unit for the other radios but it does not work with them currently. It will NOT charge the latest generation iPhone's or iPod Touch. This is to do with Apple's change to their charging protocol. It does not work with any other MP3 gadgets other than those manufactured by Apple.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I went the $12 RS cable route and spliced into my XM module in the back. Does this cable you're working on do that and charge the iPod as well? I'm not interested in the PAL...I use play lists, etc., to me that's a lot of money just to access the iPod through the stereo and I don't have NAV on mine anyway. But it would be convenient if it charged the iPod in the car.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sign me up Ray and let me know as soon as they are ready.
Sending an email.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Im in
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am definite interested. I decided not get PAL because of the installation process. I purchased the SPEC PA11-Vette instead. The unit works well as you know. I run it in the direct mode.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
SpyVet
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray-
count me in. I have my PAL and your kit, but have not had the time to install yet, so this will be great for my 09 Vert. Save one for me, thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
ReactiveVette
Intermediate

I'm in, be holding off to see if GM would improve this product first.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by John_Syb
I would be interested.

If the connection were behind my waterfall I could easily run the cable into my console.... right?
Yes, that's correct.

Ray
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by SpyVet
Ray-
count me in. I have my PAL and your kit, but have not had the time to install yet, so this will be great for my 09 Vert. Save one for me, thanks!
Stan,

I'm really asking for interest right now, because I don't yet have access to the cables. It might even be a month or two, so I hate to have you wait. Maybe I'll know something later in the week, but I'll put something on the forum when I can.

Ray
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by lander
I went the $12 RS cable route and spliced into my XM module in the back. Does this cable you're working on do that and charge the iPod as well? I'm not interested in the PAL...I use play lists, etc., to me that's a lot of money just to access the iPod through the stereo and I don't have NAV on mine anyway. But it would be convenient if it charged the iPod in the car.
First of all, with this generation of the PAL, you do need the NAV, so this isn't for you.

But for those with NAV and XM (or XM ready, with the cable), the PAL works nicely with Playlists and it will also charge the Ipod in the car. The latest generation Ipods and Iphones, however, do need a charging adapter to convert from 12 volts to 5 volts, as explained on the website.

Ray
Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool. That is a great idea. Too bad I already installed tne PAL.

Get notified of new replies

To Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I will be waiting for this.....
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
bbster
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I am in

Thanks Ray
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
BetaShave
Advanced

I sent you an email, Ray. Please count me in! I think this solution would be worth the wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned