C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 vs Castrol Edge (8 x better)?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
A few years ago the EPA had oil company's that sell oil for daily drivers to reduce the zinc & some other addictive from their oils ( Not Racing Oils) Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 has more zinc then regular Mobil 1.Zinc gives you better wear protection,but they said that zinc burns up the Cats??.That oil engineer from Houston should chime in on the thread..He said on the last thread that lasted about a week that The Mobil 1 that comes with the vettes is good as a DD.If you race it then you might want to use a oil with more zinc...
Yes Zinc is bad for Cats. Extra zinc helps reduce wear on metal to metal sliding surfaces so some people recommend in old school flat tappet cam engines.

Seeing as virtually all newer engines have roller rockers and modern oils are much better at protecting roller and ball bearing surfaces than older oils, on modern cars the extra zinc is not critical. And ZDP burns to ash which is not good for the life of the oil as it causes oxidation.

"The new API SM oils contain about the same percentage of ZDP as the oils that solved the camshaft scuffing and wear issues back in the 1950s. They do contain less ZDP than the oils that solved the oil thickening issues in the 1960s, but that is because they now contain high levels of ash less antioxidants that were not commercially available in the 1960s." Bob Olree of GMPT Fuels and lubes posted on Bob's the oil guy forum.

"The big issue is when breaking a flat tappet engine in, so if you are rebuilding an older engine you really need to use something like a racing oil where there’s a higher level of phosphorous in it. And racing oils, can still be the 1,200 parts-per-million and get a good break in on the engine. After that they will run fine at the current 800 parts-per-million." Tom Smith - technical director of Valvoline from Motor Trend interview.

Last edited by hig4s; 02-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Yes Zinc is bad for Cats. Extra zinc helps reduce wear on metal to metal sliding surfaces so some people recommend in old school flat tappet cam engines.

Seeing as virtually all newer engines have roller rockers and modern oils are much better at protecting roller and ball bearing surfaces than older oils, on modern cars the extra zinc is not critical. And ZDP burns to ash which is not good for the life of the oil as it causes oxidation.

"The new API SM oils contain about the same percentage of ZDP as the oils that solved the camshaft scuffing and wear issues back in the 1950s. They do contain less ZDP than the oils that solved the oil thickening issues in the 1960s, but that is because they now contain high levels of ash less antioxidants that were not commercially available in the 1960s." Bob Olree of GMPT Fuels and lubes posted on Bob's the oil guy forum.

"The big issue is when breaking a flat tappet engine in, so if you are rebuilding an older engine you really need to use something like a racing oil where there’s a higher level of phosphorous in it. And racing oils, can still be the 1,200 parts-per-million and get a good break in on the engine. After that they will run fine at the current 800 parts-per-million." Tom Smith - technical director of Valvoline from Motor Trend interview.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing like digging up a 5 year old thread.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NormWild
Nothing like digging up a 5 year old thread.
The Idea that oil needs more zinc is left over from issues in technology 60 years ago. That means a 5 year old oil thread is pretty current.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AV8TOR536
I knew a guy that had a 1993 z71 chevy PU truck with a V8 and he had 240,000 miles on it before he sold it!
The oil he used was Walmart oil SuperTech..im convinced that oil is oil!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Originally Posted by skierhc
after watching several teams put Mobil 1 in the Indy Cars at Texas Motorspeedway, I figured it was good enough for my Corvette

S -
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Stephen Andersen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

I used nothing but Syntec for years, Now I use the Edge, I like it so far!
i just started using edge in my ford im. No problems yet. i just want to put the best oil I can in. I'm still trying to figure out if they are both just as good or if one is better and why..

Motor oil is one of the most heated topics.

Last edited by Stephen Andersen; 01-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:42 PM
ocboy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Andersen
i just started using edge in my ford im. No problems yet. i just want to put the best oil I can in. I'm still trying to figure out if they are both just as good or if one is better and why..

Motor oil is one of the most heated topics.
Check this out http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf
Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

This thread is almost 8 yr old...

Put a fork in this - I think it is overcooked.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Jim Lynch
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol Edge vs. Mobil 1

Interesting Posts. I would like to use the best, but only if it is clearly better than Mobil 1. Bought a C4 1995 Vette in pristine condition last month. Previous owner, one owner, ONLY used Mobil 1 10-30...64,000 miles, and Carfax shows only 7,000 miles in last 9 years. Valve covers and heads look CLEAN, no varnish, gronk, crud, hardened crap...they look brand new, valve springs, guides, cover insides where they drip, after key is shot off. Can Castrol Edge do this? Just tell me.

Some of the research I read, I cannot use, as I will be changing every 2 months or 2000 miles, and the filter every 4 months or 4000 miles. We are talking $12 a month for Mobil 1 and $14 a month for Castrol Edge Titanium. Walmart prices. I can crawl under the car 6 times a year and cover THAT cost.

How an oil is at 10,000 miles means nothing to me. I would never BE in that scenario.

Also, does Titanium electroplate the catalytic converter like the Zinc additives? Leaded gas did the same thing in 1975 in one tankful. Nightmare.

Bottom line. Is Castrol Edge gonna(1) keep those valve covers clean, (2)not wreck my cat, and yet(3) have less wear than Mobil 1 ?????? It is only $5 more for 5qts at Walmart.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Like waxes, oil companies don't have any big secrets. Everything is knowable. If company "A" has a superior item, everyone else will analyze it and try to copy it.

Brand "X" may be better than brand "Y" at something, but will sacrifice something elsewhere. There is no free lunch.

As for keeping an engine innards clean, the brand of oil doesn't really matter. What does matter is avoiding short trips and always bringing the engine up to operating temp. And if not, then one should change the oil more often than would otherwise be necessary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs Castrol Edge (8 x better)?