C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I thought exhaust was a no brainer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Knightsport
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So I thought exhaust was a no brainer...

You know, between the air intake and the exhaust, no Corvette mod makes quite as much sense as a first step or steps.......

I've owned this car for almost two months now and I think I was dead wrong.

So the first mods I am going to buy now are a Valentine 1 and a Blinder M27. Never should have sold the old V1 and M12.

Literally, two months, pulled over 5 times, cited twice for speeding. It's not like I just started driving this way either. I've driven a few sportscars but NOTHING seems to generate as much attention as this damn car. Nothing. I'm not weaving in and out of traffic like a jackass and I only ever drive as fast as traffic permits....

I don't mind taking my lumps when I know I am in the wrong, at all. I do think it's a bit unfair to be picked out of traffic all flowing at the same speed and get cited for 10mph while being PASSED by other cars.

Damn it, I'm BEING PROFILED!! Where's the ACLU when they can actually accomplish some good? Yes I am whining but DAMN! Now I think I've got a better idea why a majority of Corvette's only see limited use.

I used to always kid about putting the local ticket lawyers kids through college but if this keeps up they're going to Harvard. lol
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to being stereo-typed because you own a Vette. There are downsides, but the upsides are WELL WORTH IT! Enjoy your Vette!

Last edited by inthehunt2; 09-04-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Knightsport
Racer

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Welcome to being stereo-typed because you own a Vette. There are downsides, but the upsides are WELL WORTH IT! Enjoy your Vette!
I'm trying but every time I REALLY start to enjoy it, along come the fun police.

*disclaimer* I do not fault any individual Policeman or woman, I only pray that they are JUST doing their job and I am being paranoid about being profiled.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer, pick up that V1 before you run out of mod money.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Better hurry and get some kind of detector before you loose your license for awhile! Stopped 5 times in 2 months? Sounds like your going a bit overboard with the fun (though 10 mph over the limit is not what I would call fun).
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Knightsport
Racer

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Better hurry and get some kind of detector before you loose your license for awhile! Stopped 5 times in 2 months? Sounds like your going a bit overboard with the fun (though 10 mph over the limit is not what I would call fun).
10mph over ISN'T fun. lol

That's the point.

The 82 in a 60 was fun only because I got caught slowing down.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 AM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

move.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Twice for speeding in 4 months really s!cks - that's a trend you want to reverse
Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Knightsport
Racer

Originally Posted by gene0809
move.
Wyoming or Montana?

Texas, AFAIK, doesn't have particularly strict traffic laws.

Fort Worth, Arlington and Dallas just tend to be more strict in their application. I wouldn't care to speculate why though.

I live in the country though and as long as you're not weaving in and out of traffic or generally driving like a moron, you can drive as fast as weather and traffic permit.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Knightsport
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetfever
Twice for speeding in 4 months really s!cks - that's a trend you want to reverse
Eh hem, two months.

Just sayin.....
Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I recently got a V1 too. Love it. Has saved my *** on occasion, not because I was intentionally speeding, but because sometimes you just don't realise how fast you are going in this thing.
Good investment as far as I am concerned.
David
Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
John Mclain
Racer

I have a V1 in two Vehicles.

One in my 09 Cpe and the other in my new Pick up.

I go by the same Officers traveling to work in the am using each vehicle on different days. I am always hit with instant on radar with the Vette while not a once has any Officer engaged me with my Truck.

This while obeying the speed limit with both vehicles.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"...two months, pulled over 5 times, cited twice for speeding."

I get the impresssion it's more than just unwarranted profiling.

I sincerely suggest you start running your car at a track or a drag strip. Being able to get your speed fix on a track greatly reduces your tendency to speed on the streets. Frankly, if I didn't track my car as often as I do I'd probably...I know I'd be in deep s@#%. Take it to a track. Drive fast = no tickets.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"...two months, pulled over 5 times, cited twice for speeding."

I get the impresssion it's more than just unwarranted profiling.

I sincerely suggest you start running your car at a track or a drag strip. Being able to get your speed fix on a track greatly reduces your tendency to speed on the streets. Frankly, if I didn't track my car as often as I do I'd probably...I know I'd be in deep s@#%. Take it to a track. Drive fast = no tickets.

Yup I'm on my way to E Town tonight to race in the "Gamblers Race" I try to get to the track at least 2 times a month..

On the highway I DO admit to pushing the limit by a few mph... but I've been lucky so far...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
camikeva
Intermediate

I'm envious of all you folks with radar/lidar detectors! Still illegal here in Virginia. Unfair if you ask me. I once heard it said that when a government resorts to surreptitious means to monitor the behavior of its citizens, those citizens have a right to determine if they are being monitored. Oh well, maybe someday!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

You think you have troubles brother when there is a million on the road today. I can tell you that back in the 50's in Miami, when vettes were as rare as a Cains football wins, the number of times I was stopped would have driven you nuts. Hell, I was stopped the first day I bought the 54. I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I could have papered the walls with all the tickets and warnings. I thought I had a target on my car. Yet, not once when I was driving my grandmothers' ford. I think the cops just wanted a look at the car and hasle me.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Profiling against Corvettes is alive and well.

Three summers ago we were driving our 2006 around Colorado. A dozen times, literally, we would be driving along in traffic at the posted limit. We would see a patrol car parked along the road or coming at us. Our Valentine would be quiet until he saw the 'vette, the BINGO with the radar.

Finally I got stopped for 15 over when the cruise control was set for 9 over. CHP claimed he did a "short pace" on me at +15. Yeah, it was so short that he never learned my actual speed.

Colorado reduces the points on your license if you pay up quickly, that says a lot about their "safety" program.

Get notified of new replies

To So I thought exhaust was a no brainer...

Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camikeva
I'm envious of all you folks with radar/lidar detectors! Still illegal here in Virginia. Unfair if you ask me.
They do no good if you are targeted by an instant on radar. They might give you some warning if the LEO is "sampling" other cars ahead of you. But they usually hold off on the trigger until they see one that is worthy of a ticket.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by camikeva
I'm envious of all you folks with radar/lidar detectors! Still illegal here in Virginia. Unfair if you ask me. I once heard it said that when a government resorts to surreptitious means to monitor the behavior of its citizens, those citizens have a right to determine if they are being monitored. Oh well, maybe someday!
No need to be envious. If you consistently speed you will get tickets...period. Maybe you could get away with it back in the day when they used X-band and you would pick them up over a mile away, but with more and more precincts using laser and 'targeting' vehicles rather than just lazily monitoring all the traffic....you are history. With laser my V1 goes off when it's time for me to pull over and receive my personal performance award.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Uh - here's a dissenting viewpoint - please explain to me how a radar detector will help you if you are truly just going with the flow of traffic? If you are being profiled as you claim they'll still pull you out. Your logic is faulty - unless of course you ARE standing out in the crowd..........

Quick Reply: So I thought exhaust was a no brainer...