C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR shifter problem, no gears!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default MAJOR shifter problem, no gears!

Ok, so just driving around, when I notice the shifter suddenly was like mush, not engaging in any gears and way to easy to move. I still was able to move so I pulled off the road immediately.

I checked the clutch fluid, fine. When I restarted the car, the shifter would only go side to side. After awhile I could get it to go in the downwards gears (2nd, 4th, 6th) no forward gears (1st, 3rd, 5th, reverse) also it will not stay in neutral, when I release the clutch, the car will die because its in a gear. It stays in the middle even when driving in 2nd or 4th, but the shifter moves side to side only and down. The car drives perfectly fine in those gears. Clearly gotta be a shifter problem.

The car is an 08, with 22,000 kms on it. This is EXTREMELY frustrating, especially since I am at my parents place which is 100 kms from home. I have to get it flat-bedded to my dealer, but also its labour day weekend and will have to wait to Tuesday to actually get a look at it.

Anyone have any idea of what's wrong? It seems like a cable is loose or disconnected? (it is cable operated I think) I have never heard of a problem liek this ever on a newer Vette.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Take the cover off surrounding the gear lever, check to see if it's come loose for some reason. It mounts directly on top of the tranny.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

I guess I would have to remove the center console to get to that. I tried just removing the boot, but there's a rubber boot under that.

I am trying to find the instructions on the center console removal. I don't really wanna tear it apart, but I also don't want to have my car flat bedded twice if i can fix it myself.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by lander
Take the cover off surrounding the gear lever, check to see if it's come loose for some reason. It mounts directly on top of the tranny.
Not exactly, the transmission is in the rear bolted up to the differential. However, its not too difficult to remove the console cover and check the shifter to see if something has worked loose.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Hmm...I thought the trans sat right beside us under the hump with the diff at the back "wall" of the coupe between the fuel tanks? I guess I'll have to prop her up and get a better idea of where stuff is located!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by lander
Hmm...I thought the trans sat right beside us under the hump with the diff at the back "wall" of the coupe between the fuel tanks? I guess I'll have to prop her up and get a better idea of where stuff is located!
No need to prop it up it looks like this. C5s had the same setup, it puts more weight at the rear wheels and balances the car front/rear.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
No need to prop it up it looks like this. C5s had the same setup, it puts more weight at the rear wheels and balances the car front/rear.

Sure nice of you to drop your drivetrain to show the layout for the OP. Corvette forum IS the best!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a thread about installing a short throw shifter that details removal and replacement somewhere on here.If you can find it, it has picts.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Hey thanks guys. I saw the pictures of the MGW install. I'm wondering if maybe the stock has come out of the hole, but I have no idea how that could have happened and the stick is no higher than normal. I have a feeling its something small, but not too easy to fix. I still have to get it towed this morning. Debating whether to take a look myself or let the dealer do it. I REALLY don't want to get my car flatbedded as it is extra low with with a chin spoiler and lowered as well.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Hey thanks guys. I saw the pictures of the MGW install. I'm wondering if maybe the stock has come out of the hole, but I have no idea how that could have happened and the stick is no higher than normal. I have a feeling its something small, but not too easy to fix. I still have to get it towed this morning. Debating whether to take a look myself or let the dealer do it. I REALLY don't want to get my car flatbedded as it is extra low with with a chin spoiler and lowered as well.
Don't worry about the flatbedding, the car has enough clearance to make it up onto the bed. It's tight, but it will make it.

Why not call chevy roadside and have a local dealer look at it? Why haul it all the way home?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I have taken my shifter out of the car several times, I cannot imagine anything coming off the shifter itself, it's prety straight forward

now the clip that holds the cable to the shifter box may have come loose and that is under the console, otherwise I would look under the car for a possibly broken shifter cable at the trans.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There are no "cables" involved with a C6 shifter. It's a single solid rod from the base of the shifter on the console to the transmission in the rear.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Ok, so just driving around, when I notice the shifter suddenly was like mush, not engaging in any gears and way to easy to move. I still was able to move so I pulled off the road immediately.

I checked the clutch fluid, fine. When I restarted the car, the shifter would only go side to side. After awhile I could get it to go in the downwards gears (2nd, 4th, 6th) no forward gears (1st, 3rd, 5th, reverse) also it will not stay in neutral, when I release the clutch, the car will die because its in a gear. It stays in the middle even when driving in 2nd or 4th, but the shifter moves side to side only and down. The car drives perfectly fine in those gears. Clearly gotta be a shifter problem.

The car is an 08, with 22,000 kms on it. This is EXTREMELY frustrating, especially since I am at my parents place which is 100 kms from home. I have to get it flat-bedded to my dealer, but also its labour day weekend and will have to wait to Tuesday to actually get a look at it.

Anyone have any idea of what's wrong? It seems like a cable is loose or disconnected? (it is cable operated I think) I have never heard of a problem liek this ever on a newer Vette.
Look under car to see if rod came loose at trans first if not then go to shifter for problem.
z51vett
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The shifter is nothing but a simple stick through a hole. Not much can go wrong with it. The problem is more than likely with the shift rod going back from the shifter to the tranny or in the tranny itself.

Bill
Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

On the end of the shifter shaft -- the opposite end from the shift **** -- is a ball that fits somewhat tightly inside the loop that controls the shift linkage movement.

Guys, you know much more than I do, but could that ball on the bottom of the shifter have shattered and broken apart? This part is a composite or "plastic" of some sort.

I am picturing loss of that snugness could cause the shifter shaft problem described.

The shifter **** would then not be snug inside the loop and it would not move the shift linkage.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

hey buds. thanks for all the suggestions. The car is now at my dealership, I flat bedded it there.

My uncle and I removed the console to look inside, but nothing wrong that we could see. I thought it would maybe be the shifter sitting outside the socket, but it wasn't. I know my dealer will figure it out tomorrow, but its still VERY disturbing.

I'll keep you posted as what the problem is.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Well I'm BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!

My dealer called me yesterday around 5:14ish to tell me to come pick her up!
Turns out a lock pin connecting one of the rods from the shifter to the transmission was loose in the rear(there are no cables). Nothing was broken and no parts were needed and the car is now like new again.
Still don't know how it happened as I was just driving along in a 50 km zone in traffic when it happened. They said that was very rare and I have never heard of that happening before, don't know how it did but glad it's back and soon too!

Needless to say, I'll be cruising again this week!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Good deal! And a big thank you to foremaw! I thought the tranny was farther forward! Now if I can only get my undercarriage back into my car properly...seem to have an extra bolt...

Get notified of new replies

To MAJOR shifter problem, no gears!

Quick Reply: MAJOR shifter problem, no gears!