C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sic Motorsports Z06 Fascia Install or Andy Gets a Nose Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Default Sic Motorsports Z06 Fascia Install or Andy Gets a Nose Job

So, I'm not missing my Corvette enough, my buddy Andy says "Why dont you come over and help me install my new Z06 fascia???"

A beautiful day...no car to drive...oh well, might as well help my friend out...haven't played with a Vette in a few weeks and since Andy's is identical to my old car (they were even built 2 days apart), why not add some jealousy to a beautiful day???

In case you haven't seen it yet, forum vendor, Sic Motorsports has made a Z06 nose fascia that works on the stock C6 front WITHOUT having to change the fenders as well.

All in all a very nice piece, well made, fit nicely and color match/paint quality was excellent...and that's coming from a picky detailer like me. If I had to knock something, it was that the instructions were sparse to non-existent....no pictures, basically 8 lines of instructions with no pictures, tip hints, etc. Though the change was easy enough for someone comfortable with tearing the panels off a car (...something we've done a FEW times... ), I think it would be intimidating for a Saturday mechanic without more detailed step by step instructions.

In all fairness, we had to contact Daniel form Sic Motorsports with a question or two, and he called us back immediately, even though it was a Sunday afternoon...GREAT service. I imagine the instructions will be updated soon, so do not let that stop you if you are interested in the piece. It looks great, it's reasonable, and will make your car stand out. It goes great on Andy's car since he also has the rear widebody conversion.

Well, enough of my banter, here are the pics:

Up in the air, ready for the transplant

Stripped and prepped

Grills installed and ready - still waiting to receive the C6 nose emblem

Installed

Looking sharp, even though it's been a year since the last Craigsterizing...full detail to come this week....Hey, I gotta earn my Seafood Dinner....

Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM
John_Syb
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice of you to help. Looks GREAT!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Very nice conversion - like the fact that the splitter is built in - it has a real integrated look
Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

looks awesome, great job. Did the grill/screens come with it? If not where did u buy them? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Looks greatNice job
David
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
andympd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc4427
looks awesome, great job. Did the grill/screens come with it? If not where did u buy them? Thanks.
Grills came with the bumper. The center Z06 grill was purchased from vendor and shipped with bumper. The vendor supplies metal grills for the center opening and lower vents. I chose to have a different look. Either way they both fit without a problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks sweet!! I can't wait to see the Z06 version of their nose when they get it done.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve been contemplating doing this mod cuz I like the built-in splitter look, but one thing keeps jumping out at me when I see before and after pics. Now I’ve never actually seen the Z06 front bumper on the standard C6 in real life so it may just be a visual effect of the pics.

When viewing this conversion head-on it appears that the smooth flow from the bumper under the headlight around to the front fender transition is “broken” when the Z06 front bumper is adapted to the standard C6. Like the bumper has to wrap back in to meet the narrower fender of the standard C6.

Does it look like that in the flesh?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypher
I’ve been contemplating doing this mod cuz I like the built-in splitter look, but one thing keeps jumping out at me when I see before and after pics. Now I’ve never actually seen the Z06 front bumper on the standard C6 in real life so it may just be a visual effect of the pics.

When viewing this conversion head-on it appears that the smooth flow from the bumper under the headlight around to the front fender transition is “broken” when the Z06 front bumper is adapted to the standard C6. Like the bumper has to wrap back in to meet the narrower fender of the standard C6.

Does it look like that in the flesh?

I don't think that's the case with this bumper since it was designed to meet the non-Z06 fenders.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Best looking C6 bumper out there, IMO.
Very nice!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

It looks GREAT! But how are you going to keep from destroying the bottom of it? I have a standard Z06 nose and the plastic on the bottom gets beaten on a regular basis...and I am really carefull.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Looks super, nice job.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by batmoble
I don't think that's the case with this bumper since it was designed to meet the non-Z06 fenders.
I realize that the SIC Z06/C6 bumper is specifically designed to fit the standard (non-Z06) C6, but how was it redesigned? Did they just remold the outer edge to transition “back” to the standard C6 fender or did they reduce the entire width of the bumper.

The wrap-around doesn’t appear to have the same smooth “flow” when viewed head-on after the SIC Z06 bumper is installed. Looks like the side “indents” to meet the fender. Maybe it’s an optical illusion.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car…it looks great …but that “indented” look kind of bugs me if that’s actually the case in real life.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 PM
andympd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
It looks GREAT! But how are you going to keep from destroying the bottom of it? I have a standard Z06 nose and the plastic on the bottom gets beaten on a regular basis...and I am really carefull.
So far I haven't had any issues with bumps or going up driveways. The bumper sits above the level of the previous vertical part of the skirt underneath. You'll need to be careful pulling up to curbs or other parking obstructions. I believe it no less of a problem as before. The new bumper just extends the lower portion of the flat part of the skirt.
Hard to describe but I can always post a photo if you like.
The bumper itself is flexible. Prior to install it was twisting and bending without a problem. The bottom tray and foam holds it in place. A hard hit to a parking lot stop would most likely damage the bottom tray. The bumper itself can bend alot.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 PM
andympd
Instructor

I realize that the SIC Z06/C6 bumper is specifically designed to fit the standard (non-Z06) C6, but how was it redesigned? Did they just remold the outer edge to transition “back” to the standard C6 fender or did they reduce the entire width of the bumper.

The wrap-around doesn’t appear to have the same smooth “flow” when viewed head-on after the SIC Z06 bumper is installed. Looks like the side “indents” to meet the fender. Maybe it’s an optical illusion.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car…it looks great …but that “indented” look kind of bugs me if that’s actually the case in real life.
When I was researching it myself I was wondering about as well. But the new nose is the same dimension width wise as the c6 bumper. All the holes and tabs line up as if the original was put back on. The difference is the front grill and lowering of the front bumper to the lower tray. The " indents " your talking about aren't there. The photo's don't do it justice. From the side you think the original bumper was in place. If you go to sic motorsports website he has a few more photo's of other vehicle's to look at. I'm pretty picky regarding body fit and finish and I have no problem with it. Craigster05 details cars and knows and see things I couldn't even see and was amazed on the fit and finish. Drop him a pm and he can explain better.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andympd
When I was researching it myself I was wondering about as well. But the new nose is the same dimension width wise as the c6 bumper. All the holes and tabs line up as if the original was put back on. The difference is the front grill and lowering of the front bumper to the lower tray. The " indents " your talking about aren't there. The photo's don't do it justice. From the side you think the original bumper was in place. If you go to sic motorsports website he has a few more photo's of other vehicle's to look at. I'm pretty picky regarding body fit and finish and I have no problem with it. Craigster05 details cars and knows and see things I couldn't even see and was amazed on the fit and finish. Drop him a pm and he can explain better.
Thanks for the info…car looks great!

Straight-on side view with that new bumper looks trick.

The head-on view always throws me off for some reason…glad to hear I’m not really seeing what I think I'm seeing.

Get notified of new replies

To Sic Motorsports Z06 Fascia Install or Andy Gets a Nose Job

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvilin
Looks super, nice job.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andympd
So far I haven't had any issues with bumps or going up driveways. The bumper sits above the level of the previous vertical part of the skirt underneath. You'll need to be careful pulling up to curbs or other parking obstructions. I believe it no less of a problem as before. The new bumper just extends the lower portion of the flat part of the skirt.
Hard to describe but I can always post a photo if you like.
The bumper itself is flexible. Prior to install it was twisting and bending without a problem. The bottom tray and foam holds it in place. A hard hit to a parking lot stop would most likely damage the bottom tray. The bumper itself can bend alot.
So parking like this would be a definite NO-NO.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
andympd
Instructor

So parking like this would be a definite NO-NO.

The bumper would hold up but the bottom support tray would break. I don't plan on even coming close to one.

If you look underneath the front bumper on a c6 you'll see it sloops down to a point and then stops. The new bumper is at that level from the front already.

Quick Reply: Sic Motorsports Z06 Fascia Install or Andy Gets a Nose Job