C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
ABQ C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Somewhere you've probably never heard of in New Mexico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'13-'14-'15
Default Key FOB question

I just bought my 07 Coupe Labor Day weekend. The fobs that the dealer gave me don't have the key inside the fob they are seperate from it. It looks nothing like the fob in the manual. Are these replacement fobs or what? I like the idea of the key inside the fob. If I bought new fobs from GM would they be the square ones like in the manual? Something tells me they would not be cheap either. Here is the fob that came with the car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ABQ C6; 09-14-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You have the right FOBs. GM planned to change the FOB design in 07 so they printed up the manuals with the new design but then had trouble getting them to work. )7 kept the old design and 08 got the new design when they finally got it to work.

It is not easy to get the new design. You have to also change the lock on the hatch and glove compartment.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM
ABQ C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

OK. Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ABQ C6
I just bought my 07 Coupe Labor Day weekend. The fobs that the dealer gave me don't have the key inside the fob they are seperate from it. It looks nothing like the fob in the manual.
You are a lucky man. Just hide one of the keys somewhere on the outside of the car and you'll be fine. We did that with our 2006.

On our 2009; the key in the new fob is HEAVY, and the darned fobs are too sensitive, they set off my panic alarm about once a day. I wish we had the 2006 fobs.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Newer fob for myself

I have a '05 vert, and have the remote with the external key. I liked the design of the newer remotes with the hidden key. I found one on Ebay with an uncut key inside. I was able to remove the existing older style key fobs from the system and have the new fob programmed in as remote 1 so that it works with preset number 1, regardless of what number is stamped on the fob itself. My uncut key was able to be cut at a local locksmith shop off of my original, external key.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM
ABQ C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Does the new style fit in the FOB slot in the glove box?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default new key fob

Yes, the new (hidden key) fob will fit in the pocket in the glove box for programming. I explored the subject here in depth to ensure it'll work before buying a new fob on Ebay. I felt it was worth it, since it's just one less key on my main key ring, and I would've had a fob there at any rate (whether it was the new or old) fob to go with my existing one for my Tahoe.

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB question

Quick Reply: Key FOB question