C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Treatment during Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Default Gas Treatment during Winter storage

How do forum members treat their fuel during winter storage or during longer than normal periods that their Vette is in "storage." Is there any fuel stabilizer that is recommended or considered best for use.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yes, Sta-Bil.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

stabil is what i use in my motorcycles
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sta-bil is the way to go. I use it on everything from weedeaters, lawnmowers, waverunners, all the way up to my cars. I've also always been told to fill the tank to the top to avoid condensation when the temp drops, but that may be more important on a daily driver than the stored vette. If the tank isn't full, I would fill up ASAP come spring to dilute the old gas.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sta-bil has worked well for me too. Just a note. C5s and C6s have 2 tanks. So what I've done is add the Sta-bil during the last fill-up and then drive it straight home and park it. I would guess that if you add the Sta-bil after you've parked it, you'll only get it in one of the tanks.

- Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Stabil
I used to think it was snake oil, but after a few carburetor cleanings on my bike due to stuck floats, I now use it in every engine that sits idle for a few months in the winter. Haven't had a stuck float since.
LJ
Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude! It is only mid-September!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use sta-bil, but I do fill the tank B4 storage. I was told this was good for reducing condensation.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Fuel...

I have been told by different folks that know a lot more about fuel than me that there is no need to add Stabil or whatever to the fuel when you car is only going to be parked for 6 months. They have said todays fuels at the pump are so good additives are just not needed anymore when only a few months are involved... Then on the other hand the additives are so cheap if it makes you feel better then go for it...
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

StaBil. At the end of November I go through about a gallon of it. I add the amount needed for a full tank and drive three blocks to the service station and fill up. That way it is well mixed in the tank.

I do this for three motorcycles, three Corvettes, a Viper, a 4x4 truck, a gas powered generator, a riding mower, a lawn mower and a snow blower which is done in the spring.

I have done this for years and they all start up immediately after as much as 6 months standing. The ones that have batteries have tenders hooked up also.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Jetstream08
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never use anything and never had a problem. My car sits from about mid November till about April 1st. Never had a tank go bad yet as long as you fill it fresh before you store it.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

For many years, I have seen the consequences of other people not using Sta-Bil in their engines (from lawn mowers to race cars) – so I always use it in the vehicles I store for four months or more. I have never had a problem.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I added Stabil as well last year, and when I started up after the winter I had the Check Engine Light come on... went out again after filling it up the first time after emptying the tank with the Stabil added.
Am I the only one that experienced this?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by PaulB
I have been told by different folks that know a lot more about fuel than me that there is no need to add Stabil or whatever to the fuel when you car is only going to be parked for 6 months. They have said todays fuels at the pump are so good additives are just not needed anymore when only a few months are involved... Then on the other hand the additives are so cheap if it makes you feel better then go for it...
I parked my Camaro for 6 months while on deployment (no stabil) and the gas went bad. Very expensive!! The next time I went I used stabil and it started right up with no problems. I say it works and worth the little extra cost.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The owner's manual for my John Deere lawn tractor says to use a product like Sta-Bil with every fill up due to the tractor sitting a week or so between being used. So if they recommend it for storage periods of a week or two it may be necessary in a car when storing for more than a couple of months.

Bill
Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
I added Stabil as well last year, and when I started up after the winter I had the Check Engine Light come on... went out again after filling it up the first time after emptying the tank with the Stabil added.
Am I the only one that experienced this?
Yes - doubt it was related to Stabil. More likely related to loose gas cap.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Do to all the gas reformulating and most pumps giving out that 10% ethanol crap the survivability of gas has went way down.

From what my own experiences show and knowing a lot of mechanics at the many marinas and equipment stores in my area, the consensus of opinion is to either run dry a fuel system or put in Stable. (Most say use Stable)
That is for ANYTHING (gas powered, as Diesels use different fuel and additives) that is going to sit more than 3 months.

I have quite a few seasonal toys, equipment and vehicles and I follow close the 3 month rule!

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Treatment during Winter storage

Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I just make sure the tank is full and that is it, no additives.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Do to all the gas reformulating and most pumps giving out that 10% ethanol crap the survivability of gas has went way down.

From what my own experiences show and knowing a lot of mechanics at the many marinas and equipment stores in my area, the consensus of opinion is to either run dry a fuel system or put in Stable. (Most say use Stable)
That is for ANYTHING (gas powered, as Diesels use different fuel and additives) that is going to sit more than 3 months.

I have quite a few seasonal toys, equipment and vehicles and I follow close the 3 month rule!
I don't think you want to "run dry" a marine engine with fuel injection - I know with my MasterCraft boat the fuel pump is immersed in the gas tank and cooled by the fuel. MANY reports of MasterCraft owners running out of fuel and shortly thereafter having a fuel pump burn out. Stabil is easy, inexpensive, and it appears to work. WHY would anyone take a chance on this simple issue?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
I don't think you want to "run dry" a marine engine with fuel injection - I know with my MasterCraft boat the fuel pump is immersed in the gas tank and cooled by the fuel. MANY reports of MasterCraft owners running out of fuel and shortly thereafter having a fuel pump burn out. Stabil is easy, inexpensive, and it appears to work. WHY would anyone take a chance on this simple issue?
I gave the general opinion on storage for both vehicles, toys and equipment. Many boats are outboard and a lot more are carbureted. The shops and my advice holds for that. On a tank mounted fuel pump system you are right.

I use Stabie on my many stored items, and I get about 20 gallons of non ethanol gas to keep around for the emergency generator.
We have a couple marinas on the large lake I live on that still has that gas. (The Marinas are only open about 5 months a year!)

Its more expensive but worth it for items like the generator. I have to carry cans to the fuel dock so It kind of limits how much I buy. That also gets Stable added.

Quick Reply: Gas Treatment during Winter storage