C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS - Such a stupid question it doesn't even seem to be in the owner's manual.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TPMS - Such a stupid question it doesn't even seem to be in the owner's manual.

Do the L and R on the TPMS display stand for left and right? Why do they not have a D and P for driver side/passenger side? I had a low tire pressure warning for the rear L so I put air in the rear driver's side. The pressure then indicated that the rear R went up 4. I asked the check in guy at the Chevy service area and he said the L should be the driver's side and that maybe the TPMS needed to be reset. I think this answer is and he really had no idea.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Left is driver's side. If you put air into the driver's rear tire and the DIC read that the right rear tire increased in pressure, then the tire monitors will have to be reprogrammed.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
Left is driver's side. If you put air into the driver's rear tire and the DIC read that the right rear tire increased in pressure, then the tire monitors will have to be reprogrammed.

I would get a good tire pressure guage, inflate the left rear to 25 psi, and the right rear to 35psi, drive it around the block and then look at the DIC. It should be very obvious if the sensors are programmed correctly. I would also do the same on the fronts if there is any doubt.
If the readings on the DIC are backwards, then get Chevy to reprogram all your sensors.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are in some places in Europe... then the drivers side would be on the right........oh wait...right hand drive vette....oppps... no way..LOL

"L" and "R" are universal........

get them reprogrammed as mentioned. thats the prob.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Left and right is ALWAYS determined while sitting in the drivers seat. Thus, Left is always the drivers side and right is always the passenger side. Some think standing in front of the car and facing it determines left and right, but this is backwards.

Sounds like someone may have moved your tires around and did not reprogram the sensors. The sensors are not self programming and have to be programmed for their location on the car.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
if you are in some places in Europe... then the drivers side would be on the right........oh wait...right hand drive vette....oppps... no way..LOL

"L" and "R" are universal........

get them reprogrammed as mentioned. thats the prob.
Not so fast there!

http://www.corvetteclinic.com.au/ser...conversion.php

To the OP, sounds like the TPMS needs to be "relearned" as others have already stated. You can confirm this easily enough...check all the pressures, then take a few lbs out of both tires on one side...drive it for a minute and then check to see which tires lost pressure on the DIC.

Then go put all the pressures back to where they belong.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

The two rear tires where swaped at one time , more than likely .
Had this happen to me once .
Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 AM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Either swap the rear tires or have it programmed again...The computer reads the TPMS and it gets programmed LF, RF, RR LR in that order...If it's not done that way or like others have mentioned (the rears were switched at one time), you will not know which tire is low... Trust me, I have done this a few times...I went and bought a Bartec Trackside
($149) an it was well worth it..I program them myself in 5 minutes...It's also great if you decide to change tires for track, or different tires for times of the year...The dealer will charge you about $150 to do this at times if it's not their fault...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Too bad the Corvette needs a $149 tool so it can learn its sensors. My 07 Impala and 09 Yukon Denali XL both are manual. You just let a little air out in a specific rotation once it is in learn mode.

Dealer charges about $15 to reprogram the sensors, at least that is what it says on their price list here in Utah. I buy all of my tires through a specific Discount tire. They even repair flats for free, even on OEM tires. I'm sure they would reset the sensors on the Vette if needed.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default TPMS info

To the OP--Your post does not signify whether you added air to the tires when cold/just started driving for the day, etc. Before you go reprogramming or tire changing, know this: The tires you have on your car should be directional--that is to say, they are not meant to be switched around or rotated as is customary in many production cars. Since the front tires are a different size than the back tires, and all the tires should be directional, this means that NONE of the tires on your car are appropriate to be moved to another location. Before reprogramming or moving the wheels around, check the directional arrow on the outboard surface of the sidewall to make sure the tires are mounted correctly. If not, have them mounted correctly by orienting them properly according to their rotational protocol. You may find that this cures the problem without going any further. Secondly, be advised that when you first start your car for the day or after it has been stationary for some time, it takes a few (10) minutes to register correctly--therefor, never add or subtract air from the tires based on start-up read-outs. Incidentally, this "warm-up" period of (10) minutes means actuating the tires, not just sitting still with the engine running. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Too bad the Corvette needs a $149 tool so it can learn its sensors. My 07 Impala and 09 Yukon Denali XL both are manual. You just let a little air out in a specific rotation once it is in learn mode.

Dealer charges about $15 to reprogram the sensors, at least that is what it says on their price list here in Utah. I buy all of my tires through a specific Discount tire. They even repair flats for free, even on OEM tires. I'm sure they would reset the sensors on the Vette if needed.
I believe there are some TPMS tools costing less than $149 but I understand your point. The OP's problem could have been easily avoided by re-installing the wheels in their original locations.

You're right about Discount Tire...they're great! My local DT re-programs TPS's free of charge. I give DT a lot of business but I almost feel guilty going there because of all the free work they do for me. Generally, they'll even mount and balance a new set of track tires without charge. When I sold my OEM C6 wheels and tires they let me ship them to the buyer along with their regular FedEx tire shipments...saved about $200. My Discount Tire does excellent work and they go the extra mile for their customers.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Flat Broke
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by YLOFEVR
To the OP--Your post does not signify whether you added air to the tires when cold/just started driving for the day, etc. Before you go reprogramming or tire changing, know this: The tires you have on your car should be directional--that is to say, they are not meant to be switched around or rotated as is customary in many production cars. Since the front tires are a different size than the back tires, and all the tires should be directional, this means that NONE of the tires on your car are appropriate to be moved to another location. Before reprogramming or moving the wheels around, check the directional arrow on the outboard surface of the sidewall to make sure the tires are mounted correctly. If not, have them mounted correctly by orienting them properly according to their rotational protocol. You may find that this cures the problem without going any further. Secondly, be advised that when you first start your car for the day or after it has been stationary for some time, it takes a few (10) minutes to register correctly--therefor, never add or subtract air from the tires based on start-up read-outs. Incidentally, this "warm-up" period of (10) minutes means actuating the tires, not just sitting still with the engine running. Hope this helps you out.
You beat me to it. Good thing I refreshed the page before posting about the tires being directional. You did say it better than I would have.
One thing that could have happened is if the OP put new tires on, the rims could have been reversed but the tires put on correctly.
Most tire places here will reprogram the sensors free or for about $20 for all four.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I believe the Hertz ZHZ originally came with the F1 Supercar tires, which can be mounted to rotate in either direction and can be swapped from side-to-side.

The regular F1 EMT Goodyears on the base C6 (and the '05 F55 I used to own) have a tread pattern that is designed to be run in one direction, primarily for dispersing water when running on wet roads. They have an arrow on the side indicating which direction they should be rotating:

The F1 Supercar tires on the Z51, Z06, or the GS can rotate in either direction. There are markings on the side that tell which side should be mounted inwards, but it doesn't matter which way they rotate - and they can be swapped from side-to-side to even out wear if desired:

You can see the regular EMT F1 Goodyear tire on the left with a directional tread pattern, and the F1 Supercar EMT on the right with a tread pattern that allows it to be run in either direction:

BTW, so what that means is for you Janicept, that if you have the F1 Supercar tires that can be mounted to rotate in either direction, you can either swap them from side-to-side, you can get the sensors reprogrammed, or you can just live with it knowing that if the DIC tells you the LR tire is low you know it's really the RR.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-18-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Tried to correct wording
Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

*snip
Your terminology is quite confusing. The original GY F1 tire is rotational, NOT directional. The GY F1 Supercars ARE directional.

Rotational means the tire can only rotate in one direction regardless of the side of the car it is mounted. Directional means that the tire has to be mounted in a certain direction or orientation that depends on the side of the car. Directional tires must spin in both directions since they are opposite with each side of the car.

To the OP, it sounds like your tires were swapped side to side at some point. It takes less than 1 minute to reprogram the tire sensors. Just bring it by your favorite dealer or tire place and they will likely reprogram them for free.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Your terminology is quite confusing. The original GY F1 tire is rotational, NOT directional. The GY F1 Supercars ARE directional.

Rotational means the tire can only rotate in one direction regardless of the side of the car it is mounted. Directional means that the tire has to be mounted in a certain direction or orientation that depends on the side of the car. Directional tires must spin in both directions since they are opposite with each side of the car.

To the OP, it sounds like your tires were swapped side to side at some point. It takes less than 1 minute to reprogram the tire sensors. Just bring it by your favorite dealer or tire place and they will likely reprogram them for free.
Thanks! Due to your post and a PM from haljensen, I edited my original post to try to correct it to avoid misunderstanding.

The OE Goodyears on all Corvettes are Goodyear F1 EMTs.

The base Corvettes use a GS-2 (at least that was the designation on my 2005 F55).

The Z51 and Z06 were fitted at the factory with Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs.

Now.....I agree that the words "rotational" and "directional" can be confusing, so I tried to take them out of my original post.

However....."directional" means that the tire has a rotational direction specified, generally due to tread pattern. Therefore, a non-directional tire could be rotatated in either direction. After googling it to try to get a better understanding of the terminology, all the sites I came across indicated that "directional" and "rotational" meant exactly the same thing - the tread pattern was designed to rotate in one specific direction, primarily for water dispersal.

Some tires (Pirelli Asimmetricos come to mind) have a directional tread pattern (they are called "direzionale") that requires them to rotated in a specific direction, and because the tread is designed with tread blocks that are designed to be mounted on the outside of the wheel, and the tire is directional, they have tires that need to be mounted on the right side of the car, and others that are built to be mounted on the left side of the car.

So.....regardless of terminology, the F1 tires on the base Corvette cannot be swapped from side-to-side (unless you flip them on the wheel by dismounting them, flipping them, and remounting them - then the tread will be rotating in the proper direction to disperse water).

The F1 Supercar tires can be swapped side-to-side without any problem (except for the confusing DIC display of tire pressures!!).

In previous threads, some people have expressed concern that once a tire is rotated in one direction that it "takes a set" and can't be run if it rotates in the opposite direction. Perhaps with old tire technology that was true, but with modern tires there is absolutely no problem running them in one direction, then swapping sides of the car so they rotate in the opposite direction - many of us do that all the time with track tires.

I've also seen threads discussing whether you can run a directional tire (or whatever you prefer to call a tire with a tread pattern designed to run in one direction, like the F1 GS-2 on the base Corvette) in the opposite direction of that indicated on the sidewall of the tire. The common forum wisdom is that, as long as it's dry, go ahead.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Sounds good to me. I sold tires for about 3.5 years so I guess I just picked up the lingo that Cooper Tires used when it came to rotational and directional. In their company, they are different and marketed as such.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just checked the tires.

Front tires are Capital and actually say left and right and are on the proper side. Rear tires are Kumho and say rotate with an arrow pointing down and toward the back of the car.

Must have had some bad renter that I have been hearing about doing burnouts leaving me with like new barely worn tires.

I appreciate everyones help but I am unable to change any tires or even think about resetting something like that myself so I will take it in.

How accurate do you think those $1 air pressure gauges are? Both that and my portable air pump thing say my tires are at 34 cold, but the car says 30 cold. I would just let the left right thing go but don't want to be driving around on overinflated tires.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS - Such a stupid question it doesn't even seem to be in the owner's manual.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
... Rear tires are Kumho and say rotate with an arrow pointing down and toward the back of the car.

The arrows should point in a clockwise direction on the right (passenger side) and in a counter-clockwise direction on the left (driver side).
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
... How accurate do you think those $1 air pressure gauges are? Both that and my portable air pump thing say my tires are at 34 cold, but the car says 30 cold. I would just let the left right thing go but don't want to be driving around on overinflated tires.
Within a few psi at best. Many (including myself) have reported that their TMPS sensors are within 1 psi of a good gauge.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Left and right is ALWAYS determined while sitting in the drivers seat. Thus, Left is always the drivers side and right is always the passenger side. Some think standing in front of the car and facing it determines left and right, but this is backwards.

Sounds like someone may have moved your tires around and did not reprogram the sensors. The sensors are not self programming and have to be programmed for their location on the car.
Or you have another problem that is not apparent.

Quick Reply: TPMS - Such a stupid question it doesn't even seem to be in the owner's manual.