C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I have tried almost everything I could think of to get my Z into program mode. Nothing worked. Removed the carpet so I could see the cable, to pressing on the handle with my finger to make sure it went all the way. Nothing worked. Finally read where someone put the car in reverse, so I tried that and it worked.

I now get from the DIC...Maximum Number of FOBs Learned, so I guess I need to do the long version and start all over. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. It is greatly appreciated.
You are correct, somewhere out there are four fobs that will start your Z...so unless you have all four, the long procedure is for you. Always glad to see a tip added to this thread!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Nothing posted has worked for me and I am sitting at home with a car I cannot drive because we have a fked up programming system and my girlfriend has the working FOB with her today
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pewter99
Nothing posted has worked for me and I am sitting at home with a car I cannot drive because we have a fked up programming system and my girlfriend has the working FOB with her today
I wish you were close by, I would love to take a crack at it.....
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by cclive
I wish you were close by, I would love to take a crack at it.....
well I am going to throw in the proverbial towel and take it to a dealer and see if it can be programmed via Tech II.....

#1) if it can then we can safely say my car is FUBAR in regards to the programming system

#2) if not then we will go with the FOB being FUBAR....

my money is on #1

I will report back when that happens....
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

fob 2 shows up as 'known' when doing the short program version and will start the car when put in the 'pocket'

but wont do anything else, ive tried several batteries in it but they have the dimples on them.. first step is to find the non-dimpled version yes?

second step?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
fob 2 shows up as 'known' when doing the short program version and will start the car when put in the 'pocket'

but wont do anything else, ive tried several batteries in it but they have the dimples on them.. first step is to find the non-dimpled version yes?

second step?
No problems at all with the 'dimpled' version here (in 6 separate FOBS, 3 cars), despite the rep. Are you sure the battery is in correct side up?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

second step?
Sounds like the buttons are not working...could be that the contacts on the circuit board may be dirty. When you open it up, the contacts are easily seen...you might take a look at them and give a gently wipe of alcohol on them. You could also try taking a small piece of wire and touch the contacts together and see if the trunk opens. Programming is not the issue.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

i'll have a look, but odd all of the buttons stop working at once.

what would happen if it got wet, or thinking of something that would maybe damage the transmitter without damaging the 'channel' that it is assigned to which keeps the car regognizing it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

i'll have a look, but odd all of the buttons stop working at once.

what would happen if it got wet, or thinking of something that would maybe damage the transmitter without damaging the 'channel' that it is assigned to which keeps the car regognizing it.
Interesting question. Anyone know how much of the board inside the fob has to be working in order for the fob to work when it's placed in the glove box slot????
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
azvetters
Pro

Default fob programed

Have done both many many times on many different C6s.
Hi!!!!! I have done both versions many times for club members, thank's to you Info...
today I get a new problem hope you can help me with.
friend said he's 1st owner of a 06 vert,out of the blue both fobs #1&2 show options unavable????? I never heard this before, so thinking the long 30min learn to start all over w.#1 fob know vette wont beep or go to
ready for FOB..is this telling me glove box slot test is bad, any idea's as i'm lost "can fobs be set @BG with glove box slot being dead??????????
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM
cclive
Team Owner

If the glovebox slot is not working, then the dealer is the only way to go. They can either fix the glovebox slot, or they can use the Tech II to force program the fobs. I would bet that the two fobs he has are actually programmed as #3 and #4. Only #1 and #2 will show personalized options.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If the glovebox slot is not working, then the dealer is the only way to go. They can either fix the glovebox slot, or they can use the Tech II to force program the fobs. I would bet that the two fobs he has are actually programmed as #3 and #4. Only #1 and #2 will show personalized options.
Unless my memory is going with age (and I'm 99.9% sure it's not) the slot is nothing more than a holding chamber that was strategically placed right by the antenna for the fob. Someone posted up a pic of a dashboard removed from the Vette a few years ago and the slot isn't connected to anything.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
azvetters
Pro

Default fob

[QUOTE=cclive;1579794985]If the glovebox slot is not working, then the dealer is the only way to go]

that was myThinking, I just started his vette with fob in the glonebox slot,is slot not working would car start???????????? "HELP" Thankz
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Assuming that the car will not start with the fob in the normal spot...say, on the console, then if it starts with the fob in the slot, the slot is working. Getting the car to go into the programming mode is the most common problem with the system. Go through this entire thread and read all the tips and tricks that people have added...one may work.
As far as the slot goes, I believe that it has more going on than just being next to an antenna. The reason that I believe this is because many, but not all C6s will allow the car to start when a fob with no battery is placed in the slot. So this implies to me that the slot may at least have a coil that can induce some small current into the fob and help a dead battery along. I do not know this for certain, but what I do know is that some people have reported slots that do not work...this is why I added the slot testing procedure to the instructions.

Last edited by cclive; 03-10-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

figured mine out, a new non-dimpled energizer battery was the fix.. duh, oh well better than buying another fob. thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 AM
azvetters
Pro

Default Fab

[ Go through this entire thread and read all the tips and tricks that people have added...one may work.
this is why I added the slot testing procedure to the instructions.:thumbs]

That's where I'm at know???????????

Figured it out??? went through this entire thread,went back to step 1~3 wher I put a working fob on the console,did 1~3 w/no fob near vette,then step 4 DIC beep& lights up"from trunk could not read"
Got FOB #1 all options & and Personalized name then FOB #2. ALL IS GOOD, WTF......
You wright go through this entire list... Thank Yuo.

Last edited by azvetters; 01-23-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Vette4rr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for a great post still helping

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
riverone
Heel & Toe

Default Problem w/adding FOB to 2011 GS

I have read so much my eyes are now blurred so I'll now try asking to see if anyone can help.
I have a 2011 Grand Sport and purchased a 3rd FOB (used) on that big aution site. I want to have an extra ready to go just in case. I went through the procedure with the key by the hatch (it worked), put the new FOB in the glove box slot and the display indicated it was accepted. But it doesn't work. Non of the buttons do anything and the car doesn't "see" it. I even tried putting it in the slot and the display says "No FOBs Detected". So I figured maybe it wasn't accepted afterall. Then I went through the key turning process again and the display indicated it was now ready for FOB #4, so it must have been accepted the first time after all.
I didn't go any further because I didn't want to risk losing that 4th FOB slot just yet (and I'm a bit feasome of using the long method and ending up with a dead car in the garage).
If anyone has any suggestions they will be appreciated...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by riverone
I have read so much my eyes are now blurred so I'll now try asking to see if anyone can help.
I have a 2011 Grand Sport and purchased a 3rd FOB (used) on that big aution site. I want to have an extra ready to go just in case. I went through the procedure with the key by the hatch (it worked), put the new FOB in the glove box slot and the display indicated it was accepted. But it doesn't work. Non of the buttons do anything and the car doesn't "see" it. I even tried putting it in the slot and the display says "No FOBs Detected". So I figured maybe it wasn't accepted afterall. Then I went through the key turning process again and the display indicated it was now ready for FOB #4, so it must have been accepted the first time after all.
I didn't go any further because I didn't want to risk losing that 4th FOB slot just yet (and I'm a bit feasome of using the long method and ending up with a dead car in the garage).
If anyone has any suggestions they will be appreciated...
My conclusion from this is that the fob is bad and has some sort of a problem. This is assuming that you have already checked the battery in the fob...for 3 volts and for being placed in there properly, because the battery would be my first thought. Everything that the car is doing sounds correct.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
riverone
Heel & Toe

I checked the FOB battery voltage (2.84v) and for correct polarity placement. But I thought the car would see it in the slot even without the battery (it didn't).
The seller said it was tested and working great and since it was "as is", "no return", "final sale", I want to make sure I didn't miss something before stating for certain that the FOB is bad and then making a stink about it to try to get my money back.
Any further thoughts would be appreciated, anything else I should be doing to make it work, or anything I can do to prove it is at fault before I go to battle...

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions