C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! My car won't go into programming mode for fob. I tried to turn the key 5 times in 5 seconds like a thousand times. I tried door opens/close and Glove box open/close. is it a dealer with tech2? I have no working fob. I need a tow plus dealer so any other idea. I tried to touch to paper clip together with the wire coming out of the key cylinder. I think when you turn the key it send a signal to let computer knows that you turn the key once
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mousetom78
I need help! My car won't go into programming mode for fob. I tried to turn the key 5 times in 5 seconds like a thousand times. I tried door opens/close and Glove box open/close. is it a dealer with tech2? I have no working fob. I need a tow plus dealer so any other idea. I tried to touch to paper clip together with the wire coming out of the key cylinder. I think when you turn the key it send a signal to let computer knows that you turn the key once
If you have read this entire thread, all 21 pages, and tried all the tricks and tips that everyone has offered, then I think unfortunately you must be towed to the dealer and he will either repair the system so that it is programmable, or he will just force program a fob using his Tech II and not fix the actual problem.

If your car is a european spec car, then you are not allowed to program fobs yourself, it must be done at a dealer.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

Originally Posted by cclive
If you have read this entire thread, all 21 pages, and tried all the tricks and tips that everyone has offered, then I think unfortunately you must be towed to the dealer and he will either repair the system so that it is programmable, or he will just force program a fob using his Tech II and not fix the actual problem.

If your car is a european spec car, then you are not allowed to program fobs yourself, it must be done at a dealer.
I read 21 pages. American spec as far as I know but this car was repossessed. Vin doesnt match key lock. I had to pull my damn lock out to get it rekey. It has become nightmare. Let me call local locksmith to see if he can help before towing to stealership I have a buddy that have access to a snap on solus pro but i doubt it works with bcm.

Last edited by mousetom78; 04-22-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I read 21 pages. American spec as far as I know but this car was repossessed. Vin doesnt match key lock. I had to pull my damn lock out to get it rekey. It has become nightmare. Let me call local locksmith to see if he can help before towing to stealership I have a buddy that have access to a snap on solus pro but i doubt it works with bcm.
Sorry I can't offer more help. You are absolutely correct that the key lock just sends a signal to the computer to start the programming procedure. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

Sorry I can't offer more help. You are absolutely correct that the key lock just sends a signal to the computer to start the programming procedure. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens...

I disconnected key switch I put paper clip on the switch. I hooked up the voltage meter to the paper clip. it is showing 11v. I wonder what else can I do to send a signal to trick the systems. one wire is ground and other one is 12v
Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I disconnected key switch I put paper clip on the switch. I hooked up the voltage meter to the paper clip. it is showing 11v. I wonder what else can I do to send a signal to trick the systems. one wire is ground and other one is 12v
If you are sure that you have 12v on one and a good ground on the other, then it doesn't seem like tracing the wire all the way back to the computer would do any good...it seems connected. Have you really tested the continuity of the ground? Is it really ground or is it just 0 volts?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Drino
Advanced

Cclive, your blood is worth bottling! (A very high compliment in Australia). Bought a 2011 GS vert last week with only one FOB. Bought a new OEM FOB, and after verifying the glove box programmer worked, just followed your instructions for long programming. I now have two fully functional fobs! Not a single issue, worked like clockwork. Thank you, and the rest of the Corvette community for posting fixes and help.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Drino
Cclive, your blood is worth bottling! (A very high compliment in Australia). Bought a 2011 GS vert last week with only one FOB. Bought a new OEM FOB, and after verifying the glove box programmer worked, just followed your instructions for long programming. I now have two fully functional fobs! Not a single issue, worked like clockwork. Thank you, and the rest of the Corvette community for posting fixes and help.
I'm glad that it all worked out well for you! I had an Aussie girlfriend years ago from Mooloolaba and she never mentioned that expression.....I'll take it as intended, a compliment from down under!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Z06slow
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks a lot

Members Rick t and jacksobe

One reason why my dic would activate because I tried to put it in reverse with car off , when I turned car on an put in reverse then turned off car flipped key hole in trunk 5 times and it worked 6 hours later and such a small crucial step , I love my z06
Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Gilb
2nd Gear

Default My DIC light never came on....

[QUOTE=cclive;1571903614]I have redone the instructions to include a test of the glovebox slot before doing the long procedure so that people don't get into a situation where they erase all the old fobs and then find that the slot doesn't work and they can't add new fobs back to the system. I also would recommend that you attach a battery tender to the car if you have one as a low battery can cause all kinds of crazy behavior from the car. This is especially important when doing the long procedure as it takes 30 minutes. Also, it is a good idea to disable the autolock feature if you have enabled it because it is a pain to have the car lock itself on you while doing this procedure and then have the horn honk when you open the door. Please keep in mind that cars made for export to Canada can only do the short procedure, the long must be done by a dealer. Cars made for export to Europe cannot do either long or short procedure, they must be programmed by a dealer. I believe this is the case for cars destined for the GCC countries also, but would like to hear from an owner there to confirm it.
Since the glovebox slot is something that most C6 owners never have used, they would normally be unaware that it is not working and may have never worked since the car was made. This is unique in the car because almost all the other systems in the car have been used at least once by the owner so as to know if they work. The metal key in the trunk lock would be another area that should be tested by the owner.
The glovebox slot has no electrical plug in it. There is no direct, wired connection to the fob...it is simply a place that holds the fob right next to what is basically an antenna. The end of the fob that holds the keyring must face outwards and the fob buttons must face to the passenger side.
Here are the instructions including the long, short and the test procedure for the slot.

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Testing the glovebox slot above. Step 6 gets the system into the program mode so that if you then put an unknown fob into the slot in step 7, it will be added to the car. If you put the already working fob into the slot in step 7, the DIC will say "KNOWN FOB" and nothing additional will be programmed. When it says KNOWN FOB, it shows you that the slot is working as it has read the fob and told you that it already has that fob programmed to the car. At this point, just push the OFF part of the start button and all is good, no changes made. If , at step 7, you put a known fob in the slot and the DIC does not say KNOWN FOB, then the slot is not working and you should not do the long procedure.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info:t

Hi Cclive,
This is my first time ever communicating this way, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, I have a question concerning the programming of the fob;
after having follow the steps, and turning the key 5 times with 5 seconds, the DIC never came on! m
What should I do?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:53 AM
cclive
Team Owner

[QUOTE=Gilb;1589733446]

Hi Cclive,
This is my first time ever communicating this way, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, I have a question concerning the programming of the fob;
after having follow the steps, and turning the key 5 times with 5 seconds, the DIC never came on! m
What should I do?
Unfortunately you need to read through this entire thread and start trying the tips and tricks that others have posted. Getting the car into the program mode by turning the key is by far the most troublesome part of the procedure...some cars just never respond and require a trip to the dealer, but the tips and tricks added to the instructions by all the other posters have helped immeasurably in getting lots of cars working properly.

You did fine but there is no need to quote the entire set of instructions...no problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Gilb
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=cclive;1589735384]
Originally Posted by Gilb

Unfortunately you need to read through this entire thread and start trying the tips and tricks that others have posted. Getting the car into the program mode by turning the key is by far the most troublesome part of the procedure...some cars just never respond and require a trip to the dealer, but the tips and tricks added to the instructions by all the other posters have helped immeasurably in getting lots of cars working properly.

You did fine but there is no need to quote the entire set of instructions...no problem.
Thanks a lot.
I'll keep on reading like you said, and will let you know...
Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM
ozborcek
Advanced

I was able to put the DIC to ready for fob2 mode however when I put the working key or the new key to the glovebox slot nothing happens. What should I do?
Old 06-15-2015, 03:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ozborcek
I was able to put the DIC to ready for fob2 mode however when I put the working key or the new key to the glovebox slot nothing happens. What should I do?
As long as you are putting the fob in correctly...buttons to the right and keyring facing out, it means the slot is not working correctly and needs repair.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
ozborcek
Advanced

Thanks for the response I was putting them correctly, what kind of repair it will need?

As long as you are putting the fob in correctly...buttons to the right and keyring facing out, it means the slot is not working correctly and needs repair.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I'm not an expert on the repair...it could be as little as a connection issue or as much as a replacement of the RCDLR...(Remote Control Door Lock Receiver). Dealer or Corvette mechanic will have to go through the diagnosis procedure from the manual.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just used this to program my new 08-13 fob for my 07! Worked great! Thanks for the great write up! Now I just need the bottom piece that holds the hidden key... Anyone know where to locate these?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 427ZM
Just used this to program my new 08-13 fob for my 07! Worked great! Thanks for the great write up! Now I just need the bottom piece that holds the hidden key... Anyone know where to locate these?
Glad it worked for you! From what I understand, the key and the fob are separate GM part numbers, so you should be able to get it from someone like Gene or (eek) a regular dealer...
Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

OK im having issues programming a replacement fob1....

I went through the steps1-10 and it said fob 3 ready... It kinda works..
It wont lock the car, but it will unlock trunk...and start
My DIC says that my tires have 0 psi on 3 sides and 1 tires has 30 psi ..

I tried to reprogram it again and use all of the steps with the 10 min waits and now it says fob 4 ready .... and it wont go into theOff/Acc to learnfor the 10 minutes . ? ?

is there a way to delete the fob 3-4 and start over....
I want this new fob to be fob 1 and have my memory in it ? ?
Any and all help appreciated

Last edited by ptroxx; 07-22-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions