C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Buddyleerc51
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!
Don't know what I did different but came home tonight determined to get car running
Turned key 5 times and started sequence. Went through 3 ten minute waiting periods. Then asked for fob 1 then fob 2. Stopped procedure, waited several minutes and started car with fob 1.
Shut car off and tried to start with fob 2. No luck.
So I have one good fob and a running car.
Any ideas on fob 2?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddyleerc51
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!
Don't know what I did different but came home tonight determined to get car running
Turned key 5 times and started sequence. Went through 3 ten minute waiting periods. Then asked for fob 1 then fob 2. Stopped procedure, waited several minutes and started car with fob 1.
Shut car off and tried to start with fob 2. No luck.
So I have one good fob and a running car.
Any ideas on fob 2?
Great news! Gp the dealer and have then program FOB #2 with Tech II tool.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Smoops
5th Gear

Hoping you guys can help me out.
I have a cdn spec c6 and my son wrecked the key fob. So I went and got another one. I turned the trunk key 5 times and hear clicking in the dash but dic sign saying ready to program or anything.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Canadian spec cars can only do the short procedure and add a fob as #3 or #4...the long procedure where all fobs are cleared from memory and then added back from scratch cannot be done by the owner. This means that when you start the short procedure on a Canadian spec car, a working fob must be inside the car. The long procedure can only be done by a dealer with the TECH II computer tool. If you do not have a working fob (just one) then the car must go to a dealer. If however, you do have one working fob, then read through the tips and tricks in the many pages of this thread because getting the car into the program mode with the turning of the key is by far the most troublesome part of the whole process. That working fob must be inside the car, preferably resting on the console by the shifter, when you start turning the key in order for the car to enter the program mode. Don't limit yourself to 5 turns of the key, just keep turning until the DIC beeps and lights up.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 PM
mousetom78
Advanced

i ended towing to dealer and they programmed it for 100 bux.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,285 Likes on 845 Posts

I just did this and I had the same issue as other where the DIC would not respond after 5 key turns.

You need to have only one FOB with you to start the process. Then you also need to deliberately turn the key all the way 5 times. I mean all the way until it wont go any further. I feel like its making it touch some electrical contacts together. After I did those two things it worked every time.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I just did the short method which worked like a charm, but somehow I lost my radio presets, lol. Is that normal? Everything else works.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by racerx3317
I know I'm reviving an old thread but I just did the short method which worked like a charm, but somehow I lost my radio presets, lol. Is that normal? Everything else works.
Yes, that is normal because the short procedure just adds a fob...usually as #3 or #4. Only #1 and #2 fobs will support presets. The long procedure erases all fobs and starts from #1...the short procedure just adds fobs on to whatever fobs are already programmed to the car, which is normally two. The maximum number of fobs that the car will recognize is four. Hope this makes sense. Also, I hope that you still have fobs #1 and #2 in your possession because they will still open and start your car and they are the two that have presets attached to them.

Last edited by cclive; 02-27-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Yes, that is normal because the short procedure just adds a fob...usually as #3 or #4. Only #1 and #2 fobs will support presets. The long procedure erases all fobs and starts from #1...the short procedure just adds fobs on to whatever fobs are already programmed to the car, which is normally two. The maximum number of fobs that the car will recognize is four. Hope this makes sense. Also, I hope that you still have fobs #1 and #2 in your possession because they will still open and start your car and they are the two that have presets attached to them.
Ok gotcha. I have number one but I never got number two from the dealer way back in 08 when I bought it. I'll probably do the long procedure at some point to wipe out the fob I don't have but I really just wanted a spare and to upgrade to an 08 and up key.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by racerx3317
Ok gotcha. I have number one but I never got number two from the dealer way back in 08 when I bought it. I'll probably do the long procedure at some point to wipe out the fob I don't have but I really just wanted a spare and to upgrade to an 08 and up key.
Sounds good!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Default What about reprogramming a FOB to be #1?

I have redone the instructions to include a test of the glovebox...
Question:My #1 FOB died and so I purchased a new one. It is now programmed and works with the car but it is not #1.
Am I mistaking in that the #1 is what allows us to set the HUD options?
And how do I reprogram the #3 FOB to be #1?

Debating if I need to just take it to a dealer to get it squared away or not.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elijah71
Question:My #1 FOB died and so I purchased a new one. It is now programmed and works with the car but it is not #1.
Am I mistaking in that the #1 is what allows us to set the HUD options?
And how do I reprogram the #3 FOB to be #1?

Debating if I need to just take it to a dealer to get it squared away or not.
You need to follow the instructions for checking the glovebox slot and then after confirming that it works, do the long procedure. As in the instructions, the fob numbers will be assigned in the order that you put the fobs in the glovebox slot...the numbers printed on the fobs are meaningless at that point. Before you do this though, did you ever try putting the dead fob into the glovebox slot and then start the car?

If you recently programmed fob#3 then you have tested the slot and it works...you are halfway there. Before you do any programming though, I would be very interested to have you try putting the fob that died in the slot and try using it to start the car.

To be honest, most dealers know less about programming fobs than the info in these instructions, so paying them for doing it seems like a waste of money to me, but...the programming takes at least 30 minutes...to some people, it's not worth messing with. As Jackie Mason would say, "s'up ta you".

Last edited by cclive; 03-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

...did you ever try putting the dead fob into the glovebox slot and then start the car?

If you recently programmed fob#3 then you have tested the slot and it works...you are halfway there. Before you do any programming though, I would be very interested to have you try putting the fob that died in the slot and try using it to start the car..
Hi, yes I did try the original FOB in the slot and nothing happened. I bought a new battery and tried again. Nothing happened. I had a boot replaced under warranty and the dealership tried yet another battery and tested the FOB on some device that can detect if it works at all or not and they found the FOB to be dead.

It was at that point I purchased a new one (online 100.00) from GM and had followed the instructions to get it to work with my car.

But I cannot seem to get to the screen used to set for example Hello Name says it is not an option when I press the Option button.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:58 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Hi, yes I did try the original FOB in the slot and nothing happened. I bought a new battery and tried again. Nothing happened. I had a boot replaced under warranty and the dealership tried yet another battery and tested the FOB on some device that can detect if it works at all or not and they found the FOB to be dead.

It was at that point I purchased a new one (online 100.00) from GM and had followed the instructions to get it to work with my car.

But I cannot seem to get to the screen used to set for example Hello Name says it is not an option when I press the Option button.
That's because you used the short procedure to ADD the fob to the ones already there...if there were only two, then it went in as #3. #3 is not allowed to have settings attached to it. The long procedure will erase all fobs, including the dead one and then allow you to re-program the ones that you have that work. The first one you put in the slot during the procedure will be #1 and so on.

Just to be clear, you need to read and use the instructions in post #1 at the beginning of this thread, not the instructions in the owner's manual...they are seriously lacking in clarity.
The fact that you have programmed your new fob means that you have tested the slot and it works, AND it means that you can get the car into the program mode by turning the metal key...which is normally the most problematic part of the whole deal...really you are 2/3 of the way there already.

Last edited by cclive; 03-08-2016 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elijah71 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Also, it is my understanding that after doing the long procedure, all the settings that were attached to the now dead fob#1 will still be there with the new fob#1.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Ok so the day is nice too the afternoon off and just completed the LONG process.
Reprogrammed as the display indicated both #1 and #2 FOBS.
And just to be clear I left the FOBs in the house while waiting.
When it was ready for Fob 1 I went and got FOB 1 stuck it in until it was ready. Pressed the unlock key.
Prompted for FOB #2
Went and dropped FOB 1 in kitche, got FOB 2 stuck it in until it was ready, Pressed the the unlock key.
Went back in and got FOB #1
Tried to get to the Options and Still I cannot get into the options. The display still says "Options Unavailable"

I tried #2 for the hell of it and now FOB #2 actually lets me into the Options

And then I went back in got #1 again tried again and it let me into Options.
That is just messed up but hey
the Long Process did work.
Only note I would tell people is when turning the key 5 times to do so firmly.
Thank you all for the guidance.
Now just one more snowfall to wait out and then hopefully the warm weather will be here to stay.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any explination why some cars just won't go into learn mode? I tried this again, even took the rear trim piece off to check to make sure I was getting continuity from the key switch. Everything checked out fine, but even grounding out the tan line with a probe tester it wouldn't have it.

I don't mind having it done, but it just annoys me it is this complicated and doesn't work.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by [Cerberus]
Is there any explination why some cars just won't go into learn mode? I tried this again, even took the rear trim piece off to check to make sure I was getting continuity from the key switch. Everything checked out fine, but even grounding out the tan line with a probe tester it wouldn't have it.

I don't mind having it done, but it just annoys me it is this complicated and doesn't work.
Getting into the programming mode is the most common issue that people have here and the vast majority of this thread is dedicated to tips and tricks that people have contributed from their experience. Keep in mind that if you take it to the dealership to have it done, there are two ways they can go. They can use the TECH II to force program the fobs or they can repair the system so that it allows programming by the owner in the normal way.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Ok so the day is nice too the afternoon off and just completed the LONG process.
Reprogrammed as the display indicated both #1 and #2 FOBS.
And just to be clear I left the FOBs in the house while waiting.
When it was ready for Fob 1 I went and got FOB 1 stuck it in until it was ready. Pressed the unlock key.
Prompted for FOB #2
Went and dropped FOB 1 in kitche, got FOB 2 stuck it in until it was ready, Pressed the the unlock key.
Went back in and got FOB #1
Tried to get to the Options and Still I cannot get into the options. The display still says "Options Unavailable"

I tried #2 for the hell of it and now FOB #2 actually lets me into the Options

And then I went back in got #1 again tried again and it let me into Options.
That is just messed up but hey
the Long Process did work.
Only note I would tell people is when turning the key 5 times to do so firmly.
Thank you all for the guidance.
Now just one more snowfall to wait out and then hopefully the warm weather will be here to stay.
I'm thinking that your experience was because you pushed fob buttons before finishing the entire procedure. You said you pushed the unlock button after programming #1 but before programming #2. The instructions say to test all fob buttons after the procedure is all finished. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I think it's probably better to finish the entire thing before pushing buttons on the fobs to test them.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting into the programming mode is the most common issue that people have here and the vast majority of this thread is dedicated to tips and tricks that people have contributed from their experience. Keep in mind that if you take it to the dealership to have it done, there are two ways they can go. They can use the TECH II to force program the fobs or they can repair the system so that it allows programming by the owner in the normal way.
So without reading 20 pages, what exactly have dealers done to fix it? Does anyone know?

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions