C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Firstly: many thanks to Kent1999:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-kent1999.html

He posted a great empirically proven method

and I had to try it few times before it worked.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

literally had to run and turn the key as a mad man but finally the beloved FOB3 message came on.

Fred_S this should do it.
OK here's what Kent 1999 did to program his FOB, the instructions come from the link above.

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

That's a new way to programming, I haven't tried this. It's to late to go and try this now, I will get in trouble with the boss (lol). I will try this tomorrow though, thanks and wish me luck. I will let all of you know if this works for me.

Round 3

Fred
Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

This is like another common solution on the forum, which is to disconnect the car battery and let the car re-boot its computer. It shouldn't make any difference, but sometimes it does. So more power to you. These cars definitely experience glitches and some have their own personalities. My car goes into program mode like a champ. I can add a fob to it in less than 15 seconds. But for some cars that act up a bit, this 'turn off and run like crazy' process might work. So its a good thing to remember after trying the normal procedures and having them fail. Glad to hear that you got the Fob 3 message!

And glad Fred S saw this....let us know how it goes Fred! Good Luck!

The only problem that I can see with this procedure is that it will not be able to initiate the Long Procedure to erase all fobs and start anew, because you have to remove all fobs from the car to get that one started.

Last edited by cclive; 10-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cclive
Interesting way of laying it out...good to give people another way of looking at the instructions....

That format is how I would have developed it for training. There are distinct steps for each function you are doing. Some times it's better to have the step/action table rather than straight verbiage. If you do this, then this will happen. That way the "then" is more distinct and easier to say yup, it did that and then they can move to the next step.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
Porxter (08-22-2018)
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by fred_S
OK here's what Kent 1999 did to program his FOB, the instructions come from the link above.

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

That's a new way to programming, I haven't tried this. It's to late to go and try this now, I will get in trouble with the boss (lol). I will try this tomorrow though, thanks and wish me luck. I will let all of you know if this works for me.

Round 3

Fred
***************UPDATE******************* **

OK, here we go, update for round 3.

I have tried the instructions, and no DIC message.

Because mine is a 2005 manual I thought the shifting to reverse may have something to do with it, so I tried all combination's with the car in reverse, neutral, and in first gear, no DIC message.

I tried with the glove box open and shut, all the combination's of open and shut, no DIC message.

I then put the car in extended accesoirie mode, and back, no DIC message.

I tried different keys, original ones and extra keys I had made, you never know, by this time I was getting pretty desperate in my attempts to get the DIC message, and again, no DIC message.

Then we switched places my GF and me, I was getting cranky and annoyed, maybe when she turned the key a miracle would happen, unfortunately it didn't.

By this time, we were working on the DIC message for over an hour, we decided that for the sake of our relationship we better stop.

The strange thing is, when you turn the key five times you can hear a relay click somewhere near the glove box, so there is something going on, but what ??

Suggestions please....

Fred
Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Fred are you in Europe? Check your manual I think this feature is disabled in Europe.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
fred_S
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Fred are you in Europe? Check your manual I think this feature is disabled in Europe.
Yes, I live in the Netherlands, land of the tulips, windmills, and speed traps at every corner.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fred_S
Yes, I live in the Netherlands, land of the tulips, windmills, and speed traps at every corner.
Therein lies your trouble. As I recall this feature is disabled in your car and you'll need to go to the dealer for FOB programming, I guess their Tech 2 programmer is needed.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I'd like to offer yet one more suggestion for Fred_s since I do recall not having luck right away with the verbatim procedure above:

This is how I recall (to the best of my age) I did yesterday:

1. only the working FOB around - open the trunk and leave key in the trunk. FOB by the automatic shifter.
2. the glove box was closed.
3. to save time (for the run) I stood outside pressed the brake pedal with left hand and with right hand pressed the start button and turned on engine.
4. turned off enginen (believe with a "double tap"), closed door and quickly run to the back and turned key non stop until I eard the bips and the DIC message came on.

Please note that for "double tap" I mean pushing until engine shuts off and then pushing again to turn accessory off. (not sure on this so may want to try both single and double tap).

This is it. Chances are it has already being tried but just in case...
If this does not work than would concur that it is just not meant to be ie the feature is disabled.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Fred, we don't have a european owners manual to look at....take a look at yours and let us know what it says. In mine, the keyless programming is at the very beginning of Section 2..."Features and Controls"...under "Keys".....see what it says there in yours....in ours, it says " Matching Transmitters to your vehicle" and then describes both the short and the long procedures. It also says that Canadians must have a dealer do the long procedure, they can only enter the programming mode if a recognized fob is in the car...thus they can't enter the long procedure, only the short.
Lets see if your manual is different than ours and if it says that you are allowed to do either procedure by the design of the car.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
fred_S
Pro

Fred, we don't have a european owners manual to look at....take a look at yours and let us know what it says. In mine, the keyless programming is at the very beginning of Section 2..."Features and Controls"...under "Keys".....see what it says there in yours....in ours, it says " Matching Transmitters to your vehicle" and then describes both the short and the long procedures. It also says that Canadians must have a dealer do the long procedure, they can only enter the programming mode if a recognized fob is in the car...thus they can't enter the long procedure, only the short.
Lets see if your manual is different than ours and if it says that you are allowed to do either procedure by the design of the car.
[going into idiot mode] I have read the part of the manual that you said.... And yes it does say that you have to visit a main dealer to program new and or additional FOB's [end idiot mode]

Read the manual they say.... I had no idea that Corvettes sold in Europe were different from the ones sold in the US. People have emailed me that the FOB procedure worked for them, and they are living in Europe, turns out after some research that the Vettes they drive are imported US versions, no wonder it works.

A big thank you to you all for the help, this is what makes this forum and it's members so great.

Fred
Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
GTR-Z51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appear to have the same problem as Fred. Followed steps 1-6 and cannot set the DIC message to appear. When you suggest to "check...two wires...are actually plugged into the wiring harness", where is this located? I don't want to start pulling things apart only to find that the wires are located in a easy to access location.

Thanks
Giff
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTR-Z06
I appear to have the same problem as Fred. Followed steps 1-6 and cannot set the DIC message to appear. When you suggest to "check...two wires...are actually plugged into the wiring harness", where is this located? I don't want to start pulling things apart only to find that the wires are located in a easy to access location.

Thanks
Giff
If yours is a Canadian model, then you can only do the short procedure...in other words, you must have a working fob inside the car when you turn the key 5 times in order to get it to go into the program mode. Try turning the key more slowly and deliberately.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Bob, BEZ06, sent me a PM that had some great info in it and I'm sure that since he had gone to the trouble of including pictures, he won't mind me putting it all in this thread to help as many people as possible...so here it is:

Hey Chris

I've never looked in the trunk of a vert, so I don't exactly how the rear trim piece attaches to the rear of the trunk.

Below is a picture of the trim piece that was originally in my Z06 - I needed another one from a C6 coupe because the pull down latch is a lot wider:
Name:  DSCF0972.jpg
Views: 20356
Size:  59.8 KB

You can see in the picture above that there are 4 buttons (2 on each end) that screw onto pins that stick through the trim piece when it's mounted against the rear of the hatch. There are also 2 push pins that go in on each side of the slot where the striker goes down into the latch.

For the coupe, after you remove those connectors, you can pull the trim piece away from the rear of the compartment and reach in and unhook the wires to the plugs for the lights on each end. Then the latch will be completely exposed.

Below is a picture of pages in the Service Manual:

On the left of the picture the reference to "Y67/Y87" means that the connector is for a convertible/Z06 manual latch. You can see that at the top of the left side is the "Rear Compartment Lid Key Switch", and the bottom of the page shows the plug that connects the wire harness to the "Rear Compartment Lid Latch Assembly" (the latch).

On the right side of the picture the "Y07" is the coupe with the pull down latch.

You can see that the connector is entirely different from the one for the vert/Z06 at the bottom left of the picture. That's why I had to splice wires of the same color together - the plugs are different and don't have all the same wires in them. For instance, there's no red/wht +12 volt power wire in the wire harness for the vert/Z06. I had to run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery (with an inline 15 amp fuse) to splice into the red/wht wire that goes into the pull down latch:

I could have run a power wire from the fuse in the passenger footwell fuse panel, but the battery in the Z06 is in that cubby-hole in the hatch, so it was very easy to connect it directly to the battery.

Hope that info helps out!

Bob
BEZ06

Thanks Bob!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
GTR-Z51
Advanced

Yes I live in canada, but the car is from Texas, so it should be same as all other US cars. It may be that I am too slow in getting to the back of the car and turning the key. I will try to enlist a helper tomorrow and see if I can get this thing to work!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
George Ware
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You cclive

George Ware
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Will (or can) this "Short Procedure" be able to add a 3rd FOB if the extra FOB you have is actually programmed for another C6 Corvette?

Like if you purchased a used FOB from a salvage yard for the same year Corvette.

Or, does the FOB need to be "blank"?

If it needs to be "blank", how do you make one "blank"?

Thanks for the outstanding write up
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NASCAR314
Will (or can) this "Short Procedure" be able to add a 3rd FOB if the extra FOB you have is actually programmed for another C6 Corvette?

Like if you purchased a used FOB from a salvage yard for the same year Corvette.

Or, does the FOB need to be "blank"?

If it needs to be "blank", how do you make one "blank"?

Thanks for the outstanding write up
Fobs are 'read only' devices, so there is no blankness involved with them. All fobs from 2005 till now are exactly the same electrically, so any fob will work with any C6. You are absolutely correct that the short procedure is what should be used to add a third fob to the car. Understand that the car is programmed to learn the fob, not the other way around. Hope this helps!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM
GTR-Z51
Advanced

If yours is a Canadian model, then you can only do the short procedure...in other words, you must have a working fob inside the car when you turn the key 5 times in order to get it to go into the program mode. Try turning the key more slowly and deliberately.
So I tried again today. I used a long stick to push the ignition off, while I was ready to turn the key at the back of the car. I tried a couple of times, turning quick, slow, etc. No luck! I am wondering if I missing something obvious. Every time I have tried to do this I have not seen any message on the DIC. When the car is running the DIC shows the appropriate messages and seems to be functioning normally. Should the DIC be showing something at the start of the process or only once it sees the 5 pulses?

Giff
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTR-Z06
So I tried again today. I used a long stick to push the ignition off, while I was ready to turn the key at the back of the car. I tried a couple of times, turning quick, slow, etc. No luck! I am wondering if I missing something obvious. Every time I have tried to do this I have not seen any message on the DIC. When the car is running the DIC shows the appropriate messages and seems to be functioning normally. Should the DIC be showing something at the start of the process or only once it sees the 5 pulses?

Giff
No, the DIC should be blank until the five key turns are detected. I don't think that you are missing anything obvious. If I walk out to my car in the garage right now, all I have to do is walk up to the trunk and put the key in and turn it five times and the DIC will respond. I am thinking that for some reason, the key switch signal is not being received by the computer. The switch signal is a simple grounding of that tan wire that is shown in Bob's pics. My next thing to try would be to intercept that tan wire and try grounding it five times or a few more and see if the DIC will kick in. The next step after that would be to follow that wire all the way to the computer and look for a lack of continuity in that circuit.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 AM
STROKD
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic! I just ordered a new spare Fob and key today, going to do the long procedure and start from scratch since I just bought the car and only got one key.

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions