C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techron

Should techron be used in C6?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chevron gasoline with Techron is a Top Tier fuel. It is about all I use.

It you are asking about the Chevron Techron additive, is is recommended by GM, but is sold at GM dealers under the GM label GM "Fuel System Treatment PLUS".

xTooltipElement
Service Information 2005 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 2061828
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05-00-89-078B: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits - (Feb 6, 2008)

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078A (Section 00 -- General Information).

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by calemasters; 10-30-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually yes because it keeps deposits cleaned off the fuel sending unit that can cause the gas gauge to not read correctly. A bottle or two a year is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No not the additive in the bottle . I forgot why but have heard no. I have used it with good results in other cars however.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Thanks for reply.Can't buy Chevron gas or Techron where I live(P.E.I.,Canada)I had bought some techron in Maine for 1997 Corvette I had and I have some left over.Putting 2007 Corvette away for winter and was going to fill with gas and add a bottle of Techron.Think it would be a good idea?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Occasional use of Techron, in addition to buying Chevron gas with it in it kept my fuel sending unit working when I had my C5Z. Like a lot of C5 owners, the gas gauge would quit working - a bottle or two of Techron later and it worked again.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's OK but in most cases not necessary. I haven't used any additive in many years and have not had any fuel related problems. I use Exxon fuel which is not a top tier fuel.

Last edited by VET4LES; 10-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters

It you are asking about the Chevron Techron additive, is is recommended by GM, but is sold at GM dealers under the GM label GM "Fuel System Treatment PLUS".

xTooltipElement
Service Information 2005 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 2061828

#05-00-89-078B: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits - (Feb 6, 2008)

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078A (Section 00 -- General Information).

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

smart man here. i drive way outta my way when i get low on gas to get Chevron...been doing in all my cars for years.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

I had to use it in the summer time due to the service fuel system warning on my dic. I put in 1 bottle so far and the problem did not come back. Gonna use this about twice a year to prevent it from happening again. Also would be a good idea to use it in your dd too.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I've been applying elephant repellant in my front yard for years. I don't have elephants in my front yard. It is the best investment I have ever made.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i have a texaco station 4 miles from the house, its actually the opposite way from everything i go to, but i go there instead of the other 10 stations on the way to work.

-carl
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppah
Thanks for reply.Can't buy Chevron gas or Techron where I live(P.E.I.,Canada)I had bought some techron in Maine for 1997 Corvette I had and I have some left over.Putting 2007 Corvette away for winter and was going to fill with gas and add a bottle of Techron.Think it would be a good idea?
It's just preventative maintenance. Back when fuel injection was introduced into the mainstream there were a lot more problems with deposits, etc. Don't really hear too much about it these days, probably because gas has a better additive package, especially the 'top tier' group.

As for putting it in right before storage - that's a waste of $. The stuff has to be run through the fuel system in order to do anything. If you just add it to the tank and not drive the vehicle it will do nothing.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can you buy bottles of Techron if there's no Chevron stations around?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Schoolteacher
Racer

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I've been applying elephant repellant in my front yard for years. I don't have elephants in my front yard. It is the best investment I have ever made.
me too!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
They also spread some in Washington, DC.....Elephants left last year. NOW, they need JACKASS Repellant.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 AM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters

xTooltipElement

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Added Benefits and Uses

The Four Benefits

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

(in Canada, 88861012)

Useful info that I wasn't aware of and Chevron with Techron is the only gas that prevents pinging on my car.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monterey Ace
Walmart has it, as does Autozone..Many autoparts stores have it, or just use the GM stuff. It does work. I had fuel gauge problems off and on in the C5, usually after winter storage. Fresh tank and a couple of bottles of techron got it going every time.

Get notified of new replies

To Techron

Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

just about every major auto parts store carries it as well as the discount stores and even Sam's and Costco.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I put a bottle in now and then in all our vechicles as part of my PM efforts. We do not have those gas stations around here so I normally get it at Wally World or Pep Boys. I had a lot of sticky gas gage problems with my 98 (C5) and it seems to work quite well!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can get a bottle of Techron at my local Napa/Murray's/O'Reiley's auto parts stores. F.Y.I.

Quick Reply: Techron