C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuing battery problem with my 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Default Continuing battery problem with my 2009

Drove the car all day Friday, and when I went to start it on Monday all I got was a clicking sound. This is the second time in a month the car has died.

The dealer came over over and jump started the car, then drove it back to the shop. The battery, of course, took a full charge and is now on a 24 hour draw test. I doubt they'll replace it.

I guess it's time to buy an Optima, but I'm confused. I read all the specs, but I'm still not sure if the Yellow or Red Top is the best choice. I'm also confused about the size. Optima has no listing for the 2009, but the 2008 is a 35. A vendor here lists a totally different size.

What's the best choice and what's the correct size? Help!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
Drove the car all day Friday, and when I went to start it on Monday all I got was a clicking sound. This is the second time in a month the car has died.

The dealer came over over and jump started the car, then drove it back to the shop. The battery, of course, took a full charge and is now on a 24 hour draw test. I doubt they'll replace it.

I guess it's time to buy an Optima, but I'm confused. I read all the specs, but I'm still not sure if the Yellow or Red Top is the best choice. I'm also confused about the size. Optima has no listing for the 2009, but the 2008 is a 35. A vendor here lists a totally different size.

Send timd38 a message, he's in the battery business.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 convertible,cyber grey,red interior,black top,3000 miles. I've had to jump it twice in the last 3 weeks. Not my daily driver. When I open the door,nav or cd cycle and there are other things cycling,cant tell what, and window indexing does'nt work.All it does is click when I try to start it.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Jack, window indexing has to be reset every time you have the battery disconnected for more than just a few seconds.

Stan, hope you can find out what's causing your battery problem. Driving it all day should have put the battery in pretty good shape.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JimTN;1572040753]Jack, window indexing has to be reset every time you have the battery disconnected for more than just a few seconds.

Battery was disconneted, Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 AM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand the Optima Yellow 34 is for 2005 and 2006+ uses the 35. You can still use the 34 on 2006+ but you have to turn it 180 to make the connection.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow that sucks, new car and battery problems, none with ours maybe because it is a daily driver. I use an Optima in the C5, but then it is always on a maintainer as I only drive it weekly or so. Red Tops do not like being drained all the way, I have had my Red Top for 5 years now
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jackcasual
I have an 09 convertible,cyber grey,red interior,black top,3000 miles. I've had to jump it twice in the last 3 weeks. Not my daily driver. When I open the door,nav or cd cycle and there are other things cycling,cant tell what, and window indexing does'nt work.All it does is click when I try to start it.
Note to self - don't buy a CG/Red Vert - have battery problems - Check!

Sorry to hear about the problems. I didn't think of this until just now, but my (drumroll please....) cyber gray Z06 battery went dead a few weeks ago. I was surprised because it had only been two weeks since I had driven it.

I put a quick charge on it, then was gone three weeks. When I got back I would have bet money it would be dead again, but was not. It was a little weak, but did start the car.

Sounds like Corvette still has marginal batteries or some kind of excessive current draw.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimTN
Stan, hope you can find out what's causing your battery problem. Driving it all day should have put the battery in pretty good shape.
I agree Jim, there's no reason the charged battery shouldn't be able to hold a charge for 3 or 4 weeks ... if the battery is good. The problem is that the battery does test good whenever the dealer tests it. The background current drain of my car is very low, as measured by the dealer over three days, so that shouldn't be a factor. I have nothing in or near my garage, or in the car, that should be affecting the current drain.

This isn't like my 2006 MN6 which was a victim of DBS. There are no known issues with the 2009 that I know of. That, plus the fact that I had no starting problems for the first year, make a weak battery the most logical culprit.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your electrical problems but your car sure looks great!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Couple things I learned with my 2006 C6 (That I traded in on my 2008 Z06).
1. The OEM Alternator SUCKS. They are finicky and go bad. Local Corvette club confirmed as did my dealers Corvette mechanic.
2. The OEM battery sucks even more.

Replace both and your problem will go away.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to admit, this forum can make you paranoid. No issues with my battery after 2 1/2 years, but did have the alternator replaced after first 3 months. But still, I read about these issues, especially new C6s, and every time I get in my car after work, I actually think about it not possibly starting. Only car I've ever worried about this (and as I said, I haven't had any issues). I need to stop reading posts on here.

As for the OPs problem, could be a charging issue. Replace the battery and if new one dies, have recharging issue or drain issue. Otherwise, it was the battery. I would argue for a new one, but would also just put out the money myself if they won't.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
Have to admit, this forum can make you paranoid. No issues with my battery after 2 1/2 years, but did have the alternator replaced after first 3 months. But still, I read about these issues, especially new C6s, and every time I get in my car after work, I actually think about it not possibly starting. Only car I've ever worried about this (and as I said, I haven't had any issues). I need to stop reading posts on here.
Sheesh! You're lucky you weren't here in '05! With DBS alot of our cars just wouldn't start. And that affected a good portion of MN6 owners here on the forum. I had 3 or 4 episodes. It took 2 years to figure it out and cure the DBS. But it is definitely cured.

What's not cured is the fact that the Vette has a smallish battery and alternator, in the interest of cost savings, weight and performance issues. And that, along with maybe too many ongoing electronic gizmos, leaves us all in the lurch as far as battery reserve at most any point in time. My local warm weather saves me. But in colder climes I'd use a battery tender.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

My 09 has battery problems also. Do you have Mild to Wild installed? I just got a BS call from my dealer stating this is my problem. I will let you know what I find out. Good Luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-batttery.html
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I purchased my 1998 C5 in Nov 1997 and replaced the crappy Delco OEM battery with an Optima Red Top in late 1999. When I traded the car in for my 09 C6 Z06 in July 08, the optima was still starting the C5 like it did in 1999. If I knew that I wouldn't be driving the car for over four weeks, I connected a $6 Harbor Freight float charger to keep the battery up. When my existing Delco craps out, an Optima Red Top will be installed. I have the M2W on my 09 and I park the car with the M2W in the "on" position, and have had no problems with it running down the battery. Again, if I know the car is going to sit in the garage awhile, I connect the float charger.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can use a 35 or 34 or a 34/78 in that car. Since all you do is drive it and have not added a big stereo or any other power sucking device, RedTop is fine.

You can always use a Yellow to replace a Red, but never the other way around.

Play TechTip 1.

http://optimabatteries.com/product_support/techtips.php

(That is my car and garage)

Last edited by timd38; 11-04-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet Thunderbolt
Sorry for your electrical problems but your car sure looks great!
If you can look past all the white flecks on the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Continuing battery problem with my 2009

Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Send timd38 a message, he's in the battery business.
he's also in the optima biz, I think.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

My dealer just called and told me they did put a new battery in. I'm guessing it did not pass the draw test, but I'l ask him when I get the car later today. I'll try this for the next month. If all is well I'll at least keep it through the winter when the car is on a tender anyway.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Just got another call from my dealer. They want to put in a new Optima Yellow Top and charge me $120 total with a partial credit for my old battery. I said yes. In fact, I said YES!!!!

Quick Reply: Continuing battery problem with my 2009