C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Split spoke wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Default Split spoke wheels

I want to upgrade my current 07 coupe to the 2008's split spoke wheels in chrome, did GM offer them in chrome ( I currently have the 5 spoke chromed aluminum) or are owners sending them out to be chromed, I see some aftermarket one's for sale not sure how they stack up to the O.E. wheels, any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do list them at house of wheels as repros or factory GM so they were made by GM. I know I had never seen them in chrome until on this site, and I had looked at a ton of vettes on dealer websites.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

GM never offered them in chrome. Many of the wheel vendors here offer them in 2 flavors, Repros or genuine GM trade-ins that have been chromed.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by RicK T
GM never offered them in chrome. Many of the wheel vendors here offer them in 2 flavors, Repros or genuine GM trade-ins that have been chromed.
I agree; they were never offered by GM so any that ARE, are repros. BTW, chroming your own wheels (or a set of OE) is not a bad idea....

IF you can prove these are not damaged in any material way, these are a good price. And ready for chroming. (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...lit-spoke.html)

Last edited by AORoads; 11-17-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I got my GM's off ebay from a place in Newberry Park, Ca. that claims to be the factory. About $850 installed. I'm not real confident of any off brand China repo's. The real GM's have a GM logo cast into the backside of 1 of the spokes.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 11-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
TSAGG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

ours were part of the deal for the car at H&H Corvette in Florida. Not sure if they sell them ala carte or not. give JC a call at H&H. GM wheels triple chrome plated.

also check this from Corvette Mike
http://corvettemike.com/shop/index-t...heels&pf=10006

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guy's for all the info....
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 AM
CYBER6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenkov48
I got my GM's off ebay from a place in Newberry Park, Ca. that claims to be the factory. About $850 installed. I'm not real confident of any off brand China repo's. The real GM's have a GM logo cast into the backside of 1 of the spokes.
Hate to say this but as far as I am concerned they (GM) are probably all what you would consider "repros". My "factory" GM Gumby's, made in Taiwan. I did not mind paying over a Grand for a wheel upgrade, till I found out where they were made.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CYBER6
Hate to say this but as far as I am concerned they (GM) are probably all what you would consider "repros". My "factory" GM Gumby's, made in Taiwan. I did not mind paying over a Grand for a wheel upgrade, till I found out where they were made.
I would prefer that everything was American made, but the sad fact is when it is American made, it costs twice as much. So sad.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

CCM sells repos and factory exchange chrome wheels, also the House of Wheels has the same program. Not any difference in price from CCM for the repos or the exchange wheels.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM
USA TOY 2
Racer

Good Choice
Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM
c6vetteowner
Burning Brakes

Mine are GM wheels that have been chromed, got them through House of Wheels
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM
avizandum
Pro

While I agree on the Taiwan thing, Gumbys are a far better wheel than split spokes. They are forged and spun vs. cast. I'd bet the OEM cast split spokes are at least poured offshore...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 AM
CYBER6
Instructor

Originally Posted by avizandum
While I agree on the Taiwan thing, Gumbys are a far better wheel than split spokes. They are forged and spun vs. cast. I'd bet the OEM cast split spokes are at least poured offshore...
I am sure all the wheels "cast or forged" come from the same place, GM or not most do. My point being OEM or "repros" = same wheel. People thinking because a wheel say's GM on it, it's a "better" wheel is not true.
Over the years GM has always used other countries for parts, I have issues with a communist country infiltrating our market with "JUNK". I am in the manufacturing business and have had first hand run-ins with their inferior products and materials. This is a serious issue-problem.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I get into this argument all the time with my neighbor about things being made o.e. vs. repo by the same company, I use to work for an outfit that did business with Ford, G/M, etc. and we also produced the same product for other companies . You are correct they sometimes are all built by the same company, car batteries, oil filters, wheels etc. but O.E. usually has requirements that other company's do not have, we built C/V shaft's for Ford and they had us weigh/meter how much grease went into each c/v shaft, other shafts for other companys were not, line worker control.
It was a real learning lesson for me working for this company especially when we were approached by O.E. company's or not the first thing which was discussed were the requirements?
I continue to try and use this methodolgy today when shopping for things or having work done in my home.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM
RHC6
Instructor

Default GM had problems

I bought an early 08 and the chrome split was not an option. My fuzzy memory said that they (GM) were having chrome peel problems and thus did not offer them... Not really sure if that was $hit house rumor or actual fact... I have the std splits but I believe I am going to treat myself to the SPYDER's this spring...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
avizandum
Pro

I am sure all the wheels "cast or forged" come from the same place, GM or not most do. My point being OEM or "repros" = same wheel. People thinking because a wheel say's GM on it, it's a "better" wheel is not true.
Over the years GM has always used other countries for parts, I have issues with a communist country infiltrating our market with "JUNK". I am in the manufacturing business and have had first hand run-ins with their inferior products and materials. This is a serious issue-problem.
Let me preface this by saying that I go out of my way to buy American and price is usually not a factor.

I'm in manufacturing, too. A friend at work was a wheel buyer at one of the Big Three and knows the wheel industry quite well. "Repros" that are cast are most often rejects by the OEMs that failed the porosity test(s). I have knock offs from Tire Rack for my winter wheels and while they're fine for winter daily driving, I'd never trust my life with them under the demands at the track. Ever.

We are in agreement on the crap that comes out of Asia. Unfortunately, Americans have an insatiable thirst for inexpensive crap. Just look at how well WalMart does. WalMarts in the U.S. are responsible for ten percent of ALL of China's exports. I will not shop there. I digress...

Get notified of new replies

To Split spoke wheels

Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my split-spoke chromes from Corvettes of Houston. Have been on car for more than a year and no complaints.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:22 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me preface this by saying that I go out of my way to buy American and price is usually not a factor.

I'm in manufacturing, too. A friend at work was a wheel buyer at one of the Big Three and knows the wheel industry quite well. "Repros" that are cast are most often rejects by the OEMs that failed the porosity test(s). I have knock offs from Tire Rack for my winter wheels and while they're fine for winter daily driving, I'd never trust my life with them under the demands at the track. Ever.

We are in agreement on the crap that comes out of Asia. Unfortunately, Americans have an insatiable thirst for inexpensive crap. Just look at how well WalMart does. WalMarts in the U.S. are responsible for ten percent of ALL of China's exports. I will not shop there. I digress...

I actually ordered and received the GM 7 spoke aftermarket wheels. Sad to say that they were $3000 of poorly made crap from Taiwan.....I returned them.
How many times has Wal Mart been caught trans shipping. Remember their proudly made in USA campaign in the 80's? Ahhh what's a few dozen million in fines when you can get away with 100's of millions in "questionably illicit profits?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 AM
CYBER6
Instructor

The biggest problem I have encountered is although I refuse to use the China material. And I was sent some buy a supplier who did not tell me where it came from. Supposedly "the material" 4130 milspec tube and "nobody complains, it is what the Americans want". This CRAP is not heat treated right and also comes with "no" paperwork. I will use German "which is very high quality", but no China. Now I am encountering an American company using "China melt bars" to make tubing. And then selling it as American, and it is still the same junk material. I refuse to put someones life in this crap. I just spent two weeks trying to find "good" material, and when I finally got some I still encountered one piece of this questionable material. And could "not" bend it. Ended up working Thanksgiving day to make up for all the time I had lost.
It is one thing buying inexpensive toys and gadgets etc., but putting peoples lives in this "IS" a serious problem! That is why I am quite distraught to find Taiwan wheels on my car, for which I paid GM a premium for.

Quick Reply: Split spoke wheels