C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air & fuel induction system service???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Default air & fuel induction system service???

While my 05 C6 was in the Chevrolet dealer getting an oil change and other routine services, the service manager phoned to advise that my C6 also needed several additional services including an air & fuel induction system service (described to me as cleaning the dual injectors, throttle body, air intake valve supports and combustion chamber) at a cost of $360. My C6 has approx 35,000miles

Before, spending the money to have air & fuel induction system service done, I would appreciate any comments or advice from anyone who has had an air & fuel induction system service done to their C6?

Many thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are using a good grade of fuel, I doubt it's necessary especially since I don't think it's called out anywhere in the service manual. I have a friend who had the dealer tell him about needing the fuel system serviced/cleaned - he agreed to it and watched the tech walk over to the gas tank and put in a bottle of fuel injection cleaner - a very expensive bottle
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

To amplify, unless your air filter leaked and allowed stuff to get around it, it's a money-maker for the dealership.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not needed. dealer service is trying to drum up business.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by cranky
I suspected this to be the case, reason I raised the question on the forum. Thanks for the confirmation and saving me money.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by cranky
I suspected this to be the case, reason I raised the question on the forum.

Thanks to all for your confirming and saving me money.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing I have ever done for my cars was to stop taking them in for services and doing them myself. Amazing how much less I have needed done since then. Mostly oil changes and brake jobs that I can do but you'd be amazed at what some idiot can mess up during an oil change or a brake job.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

the throttle plate and intake do get gummed up. when you shut the car off the fumes and heat rise up thru them so even tho the airfilter is cleaning the air up you will still have that. Its easy to do yourself. As far as cleaning the injectors you will see some improvement from that service but the improvement isnt usuall in the injector performance as much as when yo urun the cleaner thru it cleans up the back of the intake valves and chamber. but the change in performance and thot that your helping the injectors???? thats not really what will happen, IMOP
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by HANNY
the throttle plate and intake do get gummed up. when you shut the car off the fumes and heat rise up thru them so even tho the airfilter is cleaning the air up you will still have that. Its easy to do yourself. As far as cleaning the injectors you will see some improvement from that service but the improvement isnt usuall in the injector performance as much as when yo urun the cleaner thru it cleans up the back of the intake valves and chamber. but the change in performance and thot that your helping the injectors???? thats not really what will happen, IMOP
Thanks for the info. I have to wonder why this service is not be part of the normal service in he manual?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want, go to Murray's, Autozone or where auto parts are sold. Buy some Techron made by chevron fuel system cleaner. Use it every couple of oil changes and you will be fine.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by Dans C6
If you want, go to Murray's, Autozone or where auto parts are sold. Buy some Techron made by chevron fuel system cleaner. Use it every couple of oil changes and you will be fine.
Great I will take your advice and save the $360 the dealer was quoting to provide the service>
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dans C6
That's a waste of money too. If you use a quality Tier 1 fuel, you do not need any additional fuel system cleaners.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc V.
That's a waste of money too. If you use a quality Tier 1 fuel, you do not need any additional fuel system cleaners.
I do always use the higest quality tier 1 and 93 octaine fuel, alternating between Shell, Chevron, Exon and Sunoco.

This is reason that I was very surprised when the Chevrolet dealer said I needed an air & fuel induction system service at a cost of $360. I even got an email from the dealer a few days later confirming that I had declined to have this recommended service and thereby giving the impression that something is about to go wrong with the motor if the service is not proformed soon.

Having used the best fuel, gotten every scheduled service, and with only 35.000 miles on the clock, I find it difficult to believe this service recommendation is nothing more than the dealer trying to drum business at my expense.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Exactly. Ask the dealership to show you where in the service manual does GM recommend this service?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM
silvertc6
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Exactly. Ask the dealership to show you where in the service manual does GM recommend this service?
Funny enough, I did ask the dealer (service manager) and he simply acknowedge that the air & fuel induction system service was not a service described in the GM manuel, sayint that it was a sevice recommended by the mechanic who noted gumming in the injectors while performing an oil change and other routine service on the car.

Thank you for your comment.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertc6
Funny enough, I did ask the dealer (service manager) and he simply acknowedge that the air & fuel induction system service was not a service described in the GM manuel, sayint that it was a sevice recommended by the mechanic who noted gumming in the injectors while performing an oil change and other routine service on the car.

Thank you for your comment.
Superman is working there!

Only his X-ray vision could see the 'gumming in the injectors'.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 AM
07c64jb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only did 'Superman' see the gumming in the injectors, he is going to "clean the combustion chamber". If you really want a good performance, have them adjust the 'kanuka valve' and slip in a new set of 'chrome muffler bearings'.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

This is why dealerships offer the "FREE ! FREE!! FREE! 783 POINT INSPECTION! FREE!!!" It isn't because they are interested in keeping your car running efficiently and trouble free. They are far more interested in your money than your car.

BTW, what "routine service" does the manual say you need when you change the oil?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Victory 09
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just brought my Z06 in for oil change before winter storage and dealer recommended induction cleaning I asked him what alerted him to this condition, and he gave me this long BS story which didn't make sense to me. Did a little search on the forum and was glad to find out that I wasn't the only one they tried to drum up business on. Thanks you all

Get notified of new replies

To air & fuel induction system service???

Quick Reply: air & fuel induction system service???