C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basement Garages...Share Your Experiences Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Default Basement Garages...Share Your Experiences Please!

Hey folks.....I am really trying to decide whether I can live with a basement garage for my "hobby cars" in deciding about what kind of house to build...have to move to get the garage space I need. I want to be able to park 8 cars in one space...not all super tight, but comfortably. I am figuring at least a 40 by 50 space. The ideal would be to just build a detached garage (something like a Morton Building)...but, there very limited opportunities to do this and still be in a nice subdivision due to restrictions. And most of the open acreage is so far out of town to make it not feasible OR its on a straight up hill and would be a bear to utilize. So....one alternative, which our builder friend says would save money and pass muster in many subdivisions would be a basement garage...a walk out of the back...we could do two double doors and at least a 10 foot ceiling height. Would mean having to finish off the basement with thicker fire resistant wall board, but would be cheaper than the separate building, running water, power, HVAC, and a sewer line to an outbuilding. I want the space to be really nice....well lit, Heat and air, automotive decorated, etc.

Anyway....opinions? Thoughts? Comments from those with experience? The wife is nervouse about 8 gas tanks under the house! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM
ronohio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and liked it because it heated cheaply, and all the heat went up into the house. It's nice to be able to work on the cars comfortably all year.
My wife hated it because she claimed she could smell the exhaust in the house, not to mention paint. I think the problem was that the furnace room was in the basement.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
ckw
Pro

If the lot is sloping enough, it's a great idea.
The cost/sq ft. becomes cheep.
Would not concern yourself, or your wifes, over the 8 fuel cells.
Sheet rock the ceilings, fire caulk all penetrations.

Best thing to do is build a side load, 2 car, in the normal position (direct access to the kitchen).
Extend the driveway past this, around the house, down the hill, and back underneith, to the other garages.

This will always meet covenants.

My neighbors house is built this way. The view from the road, looks like any other house. Nobody knows, from the street, that there are other garages.

When I was going through a Dev. I found a house set up the same way.

Oversized , 2 car, garage on the main level, and a driveway that went around the house, to the reason why it was adv. as a custom house.

The guy was sneeky, because downstairs, he put in a propane heater, and listed the house, under the disclosure, as having 2x the sq. footage that it actually had.

He was correct, the listing was based on heated sq. footage.

I noticed, when I was looking at the house that he had a bunch of Building Code books, in the office area.

He retired, from an engineering firm that he started, and was on the state building council.

Now, being an engineer myself, and having appriciation, for good arch. design, this floor plan blew me away.

The house sold, within 1 week of listing, while others (bad design) linger on the market.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a house in Florida were the lot sloped down and the owner built a nice brick home with a four car garage. Then he put a drive down to the walk out basement level with a garage door to drive in 8 to 10 more cars.

He had the basement depth sufficient to have a 9' ceiling in the basement. No problems with zoning codes over size of out buildings.

I thought it was a great idea. Just need to have the right size lot that slopes to the back sufficient to have the basement at ground level at the back.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 PM
ckw
Pro

Another thing about this house, and the great design, was that looking, from the road, it looks like about 2k-2.5k ft.

This house was on the lake.

The lower level had a hudge kitchen, open to the toy storage area.

When I first walked into the house, I could see that there was no boat lift, because once you walk inside, you're looking through massive glass walls.

1st thing I asked was why he never put in a boat lift.

He said, "looks like you might be more interested in the downstairs, than the up"

There was a boat ramp, that went from one of the 10' garage doors, directly into the lake.

He was pulling a 23' boat into the garage, with a John Deer tractor, and had room to un-hook and turn the tractor around, between the 2 antique cars.

With the full kitchen down, bathrooms, Lake, etc., this was the ultimate house to entertain in.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the comments thus far. Anyone else have some thoughts or even pics??
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend of mines parents had a house with a basement garage and after a hard rain, there was ALWAYS water in the garage. Water ran down the sloped drive and right into the garage every single time. If you go this route, water/drain management is key!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I saw a house in Florida were the lot sloped down and the owner built a nice brick home with a four car garage. Then he put a drive down to the walk out basement level with a garage door to drive in 8 to 10 more cars.

He had the basement depth sufficient to have a 9' ceiling in the basement. No problems with zoning codes over size of out buildings.

I thought it was a great idea. Just need to have the right size lot that slopes to the back sufficient to have the basement at ground level at the back.
basement in florida?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I prefer being 'out a ways,' having space to do what I want and not having to worry about overly close neighbors or having to deal with oppressive deed restrictions, Homeowner's Associations, etc. (while still being fairly close to the city). Recognizing your desire to be in a nice subdivision and assuming you're not constrained by land area...why even consider using something like a Morton building? It would seem to me you could build either a free-standing or an attached garage that would be architecturally and aesthetically pleasing and in compliance with CC&R's. I've seen some large garage/shops that were virtually indistinguishable from the home itself...one had multiple lifts both for vehicle storage and shop use.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I loved it warm, close to the kitchen, all my goodie right there!

only one suggestion make sure you have a really good drain that can be cleaned out!
I have a smal pit under a storm grate with the pipe out above the bottom so the junk can be leaned out and not plug the pipe.

Last edited by ErnieN85; 11-21-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added suggestion
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Corvette_Outlaw
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez51c6
basement in florida?
Having lived in Florida for 18 years....I can tell you that you can find homes with basements, bi-levels, and walk-out lower levels in the hilly area from Pine Hills(west side of Orlando) out to Clermont.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Love it, love it love it! I can't imagine NOT having it. Only a 3 car but we effectively have room for 6 cars including the main level garage. Everything is long finished now but these might give you an idea...

Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 PM
ZPO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Hey folks.....I am really trying to decide whether I can live with a basement garage for my "hobby cars" in deciding about what kind of house to build...have to move to get the garage space I need. I want to be able to park 8 cars in one space...not all super tight, but comfortably. I am figuring at least a 40 by 50 space. The ideal would be to just build a detached garage (something like a Morton Building)...but, there very limited opportunities to do this and still be in a nice subdivision due to restrictions. And most of the open acreage is so far out of town to make it not feasible OR its on a straight up hill and would be a bear to utilize. So....one alternative, which our builder friend says would save money and pass muster in many subdivisions would be a basement garage...a walk out of the back...we could do two double doors and at least a 10 foot ceiling height. Would mean having to finish off the basement with thicker fire resistant wall board, but would be cheaper than the separate building, running water, power, HVAC, and a sewer line to an outbuilding. I want the space to be really nice....well lit, Heat and air, automotive decorated, etc.

Anyway....opinions? Thoughts? Comments from those with experience? The wife is nervouse about 8 gas tanks under the house! Thanks in advance.
Nothing wrong with a Morton Building.
When we built our house 25 years ago interest rates were 14% and we weren't exactly lottery winners. I worked in my low ceiling 2 bay basement for years working on cars even painting down there. There are some hazards if you do heavy work in your basement so analyze your intended use.

That being said, 5 years ago I ended up building a 30 x 48 Morton Building which even my wife loves. It's super insulated and has all the creature comforts. I couldn't see welding and painting under my bedroom again. You might want to reconsider an unattached building with a 12 or 14 ceiling which would allow you to double stack vehicles with a 4 post lift.
Anyway good luck with your quest.
PS - I finally got the photo uploaded.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ZPO; 11-22-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all responding...appreciate the input and the pics.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I've been condidering building a house almost exactly like that but with a 3 car down below for my "toy" cars. I want to put up a glass wall so you can see the cars from the basement.

Get notified of new replies

To Basement Garages...Share Your Experiences Please!

Quick Reply: Basement Garages...Share Your Experiences Please!