C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of longer wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Njttz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Installation of longer wheel studs

I bought a set of Pfadt wheel spacers and plan to use the 1/2" in the rear, for which they recommended longer wheel studs. This is a good recommendation since I couldn't even get the lug nuts started on with these 1/2" spacers installed. My question is, on my 07 C6 coupe with its independent rear suspension, how difficult is it to access the hub and R&R the studs? I was hoping to have the tire shop do this but if it's too much of a PITA I may just go with 1/4" spacers and use the stock studs.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:03 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see any before and after pics please...
and why are you putting on the spacers?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Njttz
Instructor

It moves the wheel out and visually gives the appearance of a different offset wheel that I really like. I had larger aftermarket wheels and I really liked the offset and stance of the car with 19x11 rear wheels that filled the wheel well better but those wheels had paint problems and got sent back.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Preface - I'm not answering your question but commenting - so if you can't even start a thread with a 1/2 inch spacer then going to a 1/4 inch spacer means you've gained only 1/4 inch of thread on the wheel stud. I think ANY time you use ANY spacer you should be thinking about longer wheel studs. Can you imagine the possibilities of losing a wheel at speed?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to install longer wheel studs, you will have to remove the rear knuckles and remove the wheel hub bearings and hub. not a job for a tire shop. need a vette shop to do this. get long enough studs to completly engage the wheel lugs same as stock. would not want to be in the car at high speed with not enough threads........................... also better check if the tires are gonna hit the wheel opening of the fender at the top on a hard bump. cranky
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Njttz
Instructor

Thanks, appreciate the comments. I am trusting in Pfadt racing that they know what they're talking about and sent me the proper length studs for the 1/2" spacer. I was really questioning whether the average tire shop could do it and now I think I'm going to call around to shops that work on vettes. For the 1/4" spacer I was able to put the wheel on and get three full turns of the lug nut by hand which is what Pfadt said I should have. Looks like I need to make some phone calls...
Old 11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Photo Write-up

Here's a writeup here on CF that covers what you're doing very well -- DIY thread. I replaced mine but had the hubs out at the time so I just quickly pressed the studs out and then back in.

As an FYI, you can still use the OEM lug nuts on these longer DRM studs -- they fit even if you're not running spacers.

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Installation of longer wheel studs

Quick Reply: Installation of longer wheel studs