C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Experts, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GMPP Experts, please

I have been looking at GMPP Major Guard for my new Z06, and it appears that there is a large overlap between what is covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty and what GMPP covers after the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired.

Unless I missed something, about the only things covered by GMPP (and not by the regular warranty) are electronic items and a few mechanical bits. Even then, there is no coverage of any appearance or wear item, and it only kicks in after the 3/36000 warranty.

So, for you experts, am I missing something?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mforman42
I have been looking at GMPP Major Guard for my new Z06, and it appears that there is a large overlap between what is covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty and what GMPP covers after the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired.

Unless I missed something, about the only things covered by GMPP (and not by the regular warranty) are electronic items and a few mechanical bits. Even then, there is no coverage of any appearance or wear item, and it only kicks in after the 3/36000 warranty.
So, for you experts, am I missing something?

That's why I bought my five year GMPP during the last week of the factory warranty. I now have five additional years for a total of eight. Contact Dennis Fichner for all the details and for sure the best price.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I think I screwed up 2 months ago. I bought an 07 vert that had 11 months on the original warranty. I got a good deal on the GMPP warranty so I pulled the trigger. I guess I gave up 11 months of original warranty to now be covered on less things (cosmetics for 1). I have noticed a hole in the vert headliner that I think would have been covered, but I'm pretty sure it is not covered now.

Does anybody know for sure about my situation?

Last edited by TexasMadMan; 12-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I had bought a $0 deductible, GMPP Major Guard a few years ago on my C5 in it's 35th month of it's 3/36 factory warranty. Was well worth the cost..

Realizing now what a good thing GMPP is, when I bought my new 08 Z06 in April 08, I bought another $0 deductible 5 year GMPP Major Guard the day I bought the car. It added 5 years to the end of the 3/36 warranty covereing the car until April 2016. I only put about 4 or 5k mles per year on the car so the warranty WILL run it's time. There is no overlapping.

The advantage of buying it now opposed to the 35th month of the origional 3/36? It will cost more in March 2011.

I always advise people to purchase the $0 deductible when buying a GMPP
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I had bought a $0 deductible, GMPP Major Guard a few years ago on my C5 in it's 35th month of it's 3/36 factory warranty. Was well worth the cost..

Realizing now what a good thing GMPP is, when I bought my new 08 Z06 in April 08, I bought another $0 deductible 5 year GMPP Major Guard the day I bought the car. It added 5 years to the end of the 3/36 warranty covereing the car until April 2016. I only put about 4 or 5k mles per year on the car so the warranty WILL run it's time. There is no overlapping.

The advantage of buying it now opposed to the 35th month of the origional 3/36? It will cost more in March 2011.

I always advise people to purchase the $0 deductible when buying a GMPP

Me thinks you are incorrect on when the GMPP started. I say you only gained 2 years because it starts when you BUY it. Ask Dennis.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

I was told it started the day I bought my GMPP. I was also told it would cover things the original warranty would not cover. I was not told that it would not cover things the original warranty covered. Am I correct that the extended does not cover some things the original covers?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The months/miles of your GMPP get added onto whatever months/miles the car has on it the day of GMPP purchase. So in one sense, you should wait until the last day or mile of the original 36/36 to buy GMPP. The kicker is that GMPP is MUCH cheaper if you buy it within the first 12/12, and you can get slightly longer terms.

To my eye, the best deal has always been to buy GMPP just before you hit 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first.

Although GMPP duplicates much of the original powertrain warranty, the electronics can kill you. Our 2001 and 2006 paid for the GMPP in electronic work.

BTW, you always get the BEST of whichever warranty is in effect, you don't lose any items buy buying GMPP while still within 36/36.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Jim:

Thank you very much for setting me straight on this.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The months/miles of your GMPP get added onto whatever months/miles the car has on it the day of GMPP purchase. ............ The kicker is that GMPP is MUCH cheaper if you buy it within the first 12/12, and you can get slightly longer terms.

To my eye, the best deal has always been to buy GMPP just before you hit 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first.

Although GMPP duplicates much of the original powertrain warranty, the electronics can kill you. Our 2001 and 2006 paid for the GMPP in electronic work.

BTW, you always get the BEST of whichever warranty is in effect, you don't lose any items buy buying GMPP while still within 36/36.
Well stated. Additionally GMPP will provide you with a rental car if the repair requires more than two shop hours if I remember correctly. That applies even if the factory warranty is actually paying for the repair. Another good reason to have the GMPP. I have benefited a number of times under this provision with my 01Z06.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by BGZQ8
Me thinks you are incorrect on when the GMPP started. I say you only gained 2 years because it starts when you BUY it. Ask Dennis.

I just probably stated myself wrong. YES the warranty started the day I bought it BUT it did add 5 years to the end of my 3/36. SO, I guess for the approx $1000 (I can't remember exact amount but it was around that) I was able to add 5 years to the end of the 3/36. Lowest miles I could choose per year was 10000, well under my normal usage.

This is basicaly what a GMPP looks like ==> GMPP Contract
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. I live in a out of the way place with only ONE GM dealership (I bought my Vert there). I would NEVER bring my car there for service. NEVER. So for me the GMPP is uselsss. I purchased the GMPP for my 02 Vette and my 05 4x4 Silverado. I never had a problem with either vehicle. The next closest dealership is 100 miles away. If you live in an area with a good GM service dept, I would not hesitate to purchase one. But for me...it is not an option.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. I live in a out of the way place with only ONE GM dealership (I bought my Vert there). I would NEVER bring my car there for service. NEVER. So for me the GMPP is uselsss. I purchased the GMPP for my 02 Vette and my 05 4x4 Silverado. I never had a problem with either vehicle. The next closest dealership is 100 miles away. If you live in an area with a good GM service dept, I would not hesitate to purchase one. But for me...it is not an option.
GMPP does not require you to take your vehicle to only GM dealerships for service.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
GMPP does not require you to take your vehicle to only GM dealerships for service.
Where do you find a list of authorized service providers?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ben dover
Where do you find a list of authorized service providers?
I think you can use virtually any shop that will give an itemized billing. My one experience was that GMPP paid about 2/3 of the bill, which was mostly labor, to fix a rear axle boot. They would have paid 100% at a dealership but i didn't have a dealership I trusted at that time.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
I was told it started the day I bought my GMPP. I was also told it would cover things the original warranty would not cover. I was not told that it would not cover things the original warranty covered. Am I correct that the extended does not cover some things the original covers?
The original warranty is the primary coverage. So if you have a differential fail, the powertrain warranty covers first. If that warranty has expired, any remaining GMPP coverage would kick in. Also, if your warranty becomes 'void' for any reason, GMPP is void as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BGZQ8
Yeah, I bought GMPP from Dennis on my '02 Z06 some years ago. Didn't have any claims and got a refund for the remaining amount when I traded my car in. (The dealer wouldn't give me any extra trade value for the warranty anyway.)

Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I bought the GMPP from Dennis for our '05. He is great to work with and his prices can't be beat!

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Experts, please

Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, I guess I have everyone trained really good on GMPP. Just thought I would throw a post in here and SAY THANKS everyone for your business. GMPP sales are still going strong and I need to finish out the year strong so keep those VINS and miles coming to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com and you will see how reasonable these plans are. Remember if you have a 2007 and up with the 5/100 powertrain pricing of the GMPP is lowered accordingly but when your 5/100 runs out and you still have 2-3 years of GMPP left it is awful nice if your rear end goes out or your transmission, everyone gets the picture.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY GREAT CUSTOMERS, it has been very humbling doing these now for 6 years and growing plan sales every year. It makes me feel very good that people appreciate what I do and how much money I can really save you.

A quick story to tell: We were on vacation this summer with another couple going down the Oregon coast and we spent the night in American Canyon, California and having breakfast the next morning a gentleman walks up to our table and asks if we belonged to the Corvettes outside, we said yes and he stated that he noticed the Montana plate on one and that he had bought a GMPP from a Dennis Fichtner in Montana and wondered if I knew of him or did know him. Well much to his shock I handed him my business card and he almost had a heart attack on the spot. He told me how easy it was to do business with me and how much money I saved him, made me feel pretty good and my wife was even impressed.

Dennis Fichtner
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The months/miles of your GMPP get added onto whatever months/miles the car has on it the day of GMPP purchase. So in one sense, you should wait until the last day or mile of the original 36/36 to buy GMPP. The kicker is that GMPP is MUCH cheaper if you buy it within the first 12/12, and you can get slightly longer terms.

Sage advice. The more factory warranty you have the cheaper the GMPP is because the GMPP risk is less.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I just probably stated myself wrong. YES the warranty started the day I bought it BUT it did add 5 years to the end of my 3/36. SO, I guess for the approx $1000 (I can't remember exact amount but it was around that) I was able to add 5 years to the end of the 3/36. Lowest miles I could choose per year was 10000, well under my normal usage.

This is basicaly what a GMPP looks like ==> GMPP Contract
If you bought a 5 year GMPP, then it started the DAY you bought it and NOT at the end of your 3/36. Ask other forum members. Someone back me up on this (Dennis) ?

Quick Reply: GMPP Experts, please